Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
May 20, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #2,416 of 2,910
Still thinking about picking up an A8...can anyone tell how well the built in headphone amp can drive the HD800, in terms of synergy mainly? Also, is the dac on par with $1500-2500 dacs currently available? Just trying to (potentially) kill 2 birds with one stone here for the dac part...tia.

-Daniel

May 22, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #2,417 of 2,910
Quote:
Still thinking about picking up an A8...can anyone tell how well the built in headphone amp can drive the HD800, in terms of synergy mainly? Also, is the dac on par with $1500-2500 dacs currently available? Just trying to (potentially) kill 2 birds with one stone here for the dac part...tia.

-Daniel

No.  Not in my opinion.  I tried this briefly once more today.  I cannot tell you how much better the HD800 may have sounded from a headphone amp driven by the Realiser because I'm all Stax these days and have no dedicated headphone amp for the HD800 so the best I can do is to compare HD800's directly out of the Realiser to the lowest Stax SR202 driven by a toslinked W4S DAC2 through Stax SRM727.  There is no comparison.  
I don't think the Realiser drives the HD800's well and although the DAC in the Realiser isn't at all bad, it sounded veiled.  If you have HD800's and are considering a Realiser, you will probably have expectations that wouldn't be met.  
When I had a HD800 amp (a Taiwan clone of the Lehmann Black Cube), driven by the same DAC, I recall that sounded fine.  Not quite up there with Stax for detail, attack, but.....  I would factor in first an amp, then a DAC.

May 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #2,418 of 2,910
Even though I'm fussy about declaring differences, I don't think Realiser has enough juice for HD800, it's quite clear when A/Bing with my G109.

edit: But I'll do another more careful level matched A/B against my G109 and Concero, when I get my Realiser back..

May 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #2,419 of 2,910
Quote:

-Daniel

I don't have the HD800, but I have the HD600, which has similar impedance (300 ohms).  I use an external DAC/amp (the DM200 by ATI Audio) which is fed by the Realiser's digital output, and it can drive the HD600 about 13dB louder than the Realiser's internal amp can.  Being louder helps because I have to lower the Realiser's volume to -6dB in order to prevent clipping (as indicated by the "Phones Clip" LED on the Realiser).  Basically, increasing the external amp's volume compensates for decreasing the Realiser's volume.  Other than that, I have not noticed much difference.

May 27, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #2,421 of 2,910
Quote:
Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I ended up buying another Eximus and an Auditor to go with the Senns. Now just a matter of time before I pull the trigger on a Realiser. Thanks again.

-Daniel

What happened to your ZDSE? Did you feel that SPL amps are a better match for your Senns?

May 27, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #2,422 of 2,910
Does anyone here have a nice idea of increasing the No. of PRESET? or some quick way of accessing to other PRIR loaded in the internal or SD? or It may realises it through the Computer? I feel that 4 PRESET are too little since I have many PRIRS now. I'd like to compare those differences but it is too slow to switch them one by one.

May 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #2,423 of 2,910
Quote:

What happened to your ZDSE? Did you feel that SPL amps are a better match for your Senns?

Heck no. Sold the ZDSE to help fund the impending Leviathan. Just wanted to try an SPL in the interim as a cheaper ss option to see how it fares. If I had known the Levi would keep getting pushed back for months and months-I wouldn't have sold off the Zana yet. The ZDSE/DP1/HD800 combo is still far and away the best rig I've ever had-both in terms of musicality  and technicality.

-Daniel

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #2,424 of 2,910
Anyone in the Texas (north, but would travel) area have this and wouldn't mind someone coming to listen? I would pay you for your time. I just have a hard time shelling out $3k for something I've never heard.

Thanks
Erik

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2,426 of 2,910
Just thought I would say that I have been using my Realiser for 1.5 years now without any problems, still as enjoyable as the day I got it and has provided me with the right type of experience with minimal radiating noise.

Such an advanced product, unique.

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #2,427 of 2,910
What would be the best solution in my case? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to listen through my mac book pro and I want the realiser to emulate a 7.1 systrm I have back at home in Korea (study in the UK). Is the mac HDMI capable of supporting 7.1? If not, what external solution could I use?

Does the realiser work with IEMs?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back