Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
May 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #2,402 of 2,910
[COLOR=454545]Smyth Research and Glenn Poor's Audio Video will be hosting a Realiser demo event on Monday, May 6, starting at 6 PM.  Lorr Kramer of Smyth Research will be conducting personalized measurements and listening sessions.  There will be two Realiser setups, one in a 7.1 theater room, and one in a high-end two-channel room.  All are welcome to come and hear the Realiser.  Bring your favorite material if you like.[/COLOR][COLOR=454545]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=454545]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=454545]Refreshments including beer and wine will be served, along with snacks.[/COLOR][COLOR=454545]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=454545]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=454545]Please join us![/COLOR][COLOR=454545]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=454545]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=454545]Here is the address and contact information:[/COLOR][COLOR=454545]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=454545]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=454545]Glenn Poor's Audio Video[/COLOR][COLOR=454545]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=454545]1745 W. Kirby Ave.[/COLOR][COLOR=454545]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=454545]Champaign IL 61821[/COLOR][COLOR=454545]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=454545]217-356-5456[/COLOR][COLOR=454545]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=2862C5]glennpoors@gmail.com[/COLOR]

That seems about the same date as last year's event.

I may have to drive over.

May 8, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #2,403 of 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbHHH /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So what do I make of this experience?  Was it just a bad measurement? 

Quote:
     I will probably give it another go,

I am happy to report that I went back to Glenn Poor's Audio and did another calibration.  Lorr Kramer was there and as you might imagine the calibration was great and the Realiser simulated 98% of the sound of a $100,000+  Wilson/BAT/Esoteric system.  It was mind boggling.

Lorr was much more careful with the placement of the microphones in my ears and I suspect that made all the difference.

Thank you to all of you who encouraged me to try it again.  I'm really glad I did.  This thing is amazing - they should be selling like hotcakes.

My only concern at this point is trying to figure out how I will get a few more quality PRIRs.  I've got one, but that doesn't feel like enough.

May 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #2,404 of 2,910
I am happy to report that I went back to Glenn Poor's Audio and did another calibration.  Lorr Kramer was there and as you might imagine the calibration was great and the Realiser simulated 98% of the sound of a $100,000+  Wilson/BAT/Esoteric system.  It was mind boggling.

Lorr was much more careful with the placement of the microphones in my ears and I suspect that made all the difference.

Thank you to all of you who encouraged me to try it again.  I'm really glad I did.  This thing is amazing - they should be selling like hotcakes.

My only concern at this point is trying to figure out how I will get a few more quality PRIRs.  I've got one, but that doesn't feel like enough.

A good way to get exposure to high end systems is through local and regional audio societies. Some retail audio salons are willing to let people do emulations, especially if you're willing to compensate them for their time.

May 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #2,406 of 2,910

How was the event at Glenn Poors? I found out to late to make it over.

May 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #2,407 of 2,910

"How was the event at Glenn Poors? I found out to late to make it over."

Sorry, I can't really say.  I was there in the afternoon, well before the event started.

I can tell you that Lorr Kramer of Smyth was a delight to work with, and was a big factor in my deciding to buy a Realiser.

May 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #2,410 of 2,910
-> Split A/V option in the Video Setup-> Dual HDMI Output menu

that worked. 

+ it works only on hdmi out 2 (oppo player).

my setup:

Oppo hdmi out 2 -> dvdo quick 6 output 2 -> realiser  

video = dvdo quick 6 output 1 -> projector.

but i still couldnt get multichannel working with dune hd base 3d.. i tried everything.. but failed :)

im very happy with oppo 103, it almost plays everything. but a bit slower than dune hd base 3d.

May 18, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #2,411 of 2,910
Yes, please write the app!

Quote:
darinf said:

Now that I know how it's done, I am looking a an iOS audio app that might be able to do the same thing as FooBar with the VST plugins. The only bummer is that this app is $50 and I don't really want to spend the money just to see if it works. There is no trial version as far as I know. But can you imagine being able to play back your music and apply a PRIR and HPEQ in real-time in an iPhone or iPad?

That's what someone mentioned that Lorr had mentioned.

(Or maybe I should just write an app to do it. The algorithms used in the VST plugins are very well known and not proprietary.)

-Darin

May 18, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #2,412 of 2,910
Quote:
but i still couldnt get multichannel working with dune hd base 3d.. i tried everything.. but failed :)

I have a Dune as well, and tried everything to make it work in multichannel with the Realiser.
I haven't succeed.
I guess the Dune's EDID doesn't like it.

The only to get multichanel audio from the Dune to the Realiser, is with a file with PCM5.1 audio.

May 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #2,414 of 2,910
Quote:
There are a few posts about what doesn't pass lpcm- what actually does work?

Dune HD Max or Duo, but apparently no other Dune devices will work.

People have had luck with the Oppo players. I have never owned one, so I cannot confirm, but if you search this thread for Oppo, you will see that people have had success with the Oppo players.

The Sony Playstation 3 also works, so I have read. Again, I do not own one.

I have tried several other Blu-Ray players, and they seem to work. I can't recall all the exact model numbers, but usually the higher end models from Samsung, Panasonic, LG, etc. work. OK, I have a Samsung BD-D6500 and a Panasonic DMP BDT-320 that works for optical media playback. I also have a really cheap $80 Blu-Ray player that works, but I can't even recall the manufacturer.

The hardest part for me was finding a device that plays ripped files over a network or locally from a hard drive. If you are only playing from DVD or Blu-Ray discs, then I think most Blu-Ray players will work. Most media players will not work.

-Darin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back