Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Apr 13, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #2,372 of 2,910
I would like to say big thanks for Hekeli sharing that demo material. I was struggling a bit with the Foobar stuff but I might try again

I am very lucky to have quite a few Stax phones to try it now. You really need to be steady and maybe close your eyes as well.

My impression that it works best with the SR Omega and SR Sigma Pro headphones that already have a huge headstage
The SR Lambda and SR007 Mk1 does not seem to work that effectively
Although the SR007Mk1 gives the most speaker like tone if you like Omega quite close

I guess the Omegas would pull ahead with proper calibration applied as those circular drivers are just technically superior.

Of course the placement is not where you expect but at least it does sound a tiny speaker so very curious about a properly calibrated one.

What I would like to ask the users is this:
How much the illusion is affected by how you feel whether the headphones are on your head?

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #2,374 of 2,910
Quote:
i tried everything , dune hd base 3d doesnt output 5.1 / 7.1 through realiser.  tested 5 different files.  no results. please advise me , are there any sample files to try out ?

First, I know this is obvious, but did you make sure that you Dune audio output setting is set to "PCM (decode)"? If not, then you would probably get no audio at all...

Have you tried ripping a Blu-Ray or DVD with 5.1 or 7.1? Is that where you are getting your MKV files?

You could also try this AIX sampler Blu-Ray. It has some good channel ID tests, etc.:
http://aixrecords.com/catalog/bd/oppo_sampler_bd.html

But, it sounds to me like either:
1) The Dune HD Base does not decode to multi-channel LPCM
2) Or you are still having HDMI handshake issues.

1) I have never tried a Dune HD Base, but somewhere in one of the Realiser threads, the Base has been confirmed working. I also noticed that the HD Max, Duo and Base all have the same firmware version, so I am assuming they all have similar capabilities. I am pretty sure you should be able to get the Dune Base to work.

2) I think this is your problem. To "reset" your HDMI handshaking issues, you need to hook the HDMI pass through of the Realiser to a device which is set to receive 7.1 or 5.1 content. So you would have the Dune HDMI out --> Realiser HDMI in --> Realiser HDMI pass through --> HDMI input of a surround decoder. The last device in the chain would ideally be a surround receiver or processor. If you don't have anything that will accept surround audio via HDMI, then you might have to buy a device that does, or borrow one. You could also buy one of these:
http://www.hdfury.com/products/dr-hdmi-specs/

Once you have it all connected, then the Dune should "see" that your final device in the chain is capable of decoding 5.1 or 7.1 sound. The Realiser will NOT do that on it's own.

Quick story...I was with Lorr Kramer doing a measurement at a client's home theater. When all of a sudden, my Blu Ray player would only output 2.0 audio via HDMI out into the Realiser. We tried everything to get it to output 5.1 or 7.1 but we couldn't do it. It had been working earlier that day. We were scratching our heads to the point where Lorr decided that my unit might be defective. So he went out to his car to get his demo Realiser. His worked! When we connected his unit, all of a sudden my Blu Ray player was outputting 7.1 LPCM. Then when we swapped mine back in, it went back to 2.0. So he was going to exchange my Realiser as defective.

Then we decided to put an AV receiver on the end of my Realiser HDMI passthrough. Once we did that, all of a sudden, the Blu-Ray player was outputting 7.1! Then when we removed the AV receiver, the Realiser/Blu Ray player still output 7.1, no problem. So it took the AV receiver to "reset" the Realiser back to 7.1 HDMI. Ever since then, I have not had a problem using my Realiser with my Dune HD Max or other Blu-Ray players.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

-Darin

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #2,375 of 2,910
thanks for the info darin,  theres no sound at all when connecting dune hd directly to the realiser. strange :)  (with pcm decoding)
it only works dune hd -> quick 6 hdmi switch -> realiser. but only 2 channel. ps3 ->  quick 6 hdmi switch -> realiser = 7 channel .

so i think its not a problem with quick6 hdmi switch.  i placed my order on dr hdmi, should be getting it within 3 days. i'll test it :)

I ripped the original blu ray movie, mkv file. also tried using the image file. can get different audio tracks dts hd. but none of them plays 5.1 / 7.1

thanks for the help again.

added some pictures for your reference.

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #2,376 of 2,910
FYI

If you are going to the NY audio show (end today), AIX recordings has a realizer setup in the vendor section on the 4th floor that is very impressive.   Also selling a sampler AIX multichannel HD disk for only 10 bucks.  The demo with the AIX sampler disk and the realizer is very impressive (my first time listening to the realizer).

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #2,377 of 2,910
Quote:
thanks for the info darin,  theres no sound at all when connecting dune hd directly to the realiser. strange :)  (with pcm decoding)
it only works dune hd -> quick 6 hdmi switch -> realiser. but only 2 channel. ps3 ->  quick 6 hdmi switch -> realiser = 7 channel .

so i think its not a problem with quick6 hdmi switch.  i placed my order on dr hdmi, should be getting it within 3 days. i'll test it :)

I ripped the original blu ray movie, mkv file. also tried using the image file. can get different audio tracks dts hd. but none of them plays 5.1 / 7.1

thanks for the help again.

You didn't mention that the output of the PS3 works with your Realiser. That's a key piece of information to rule out the Realiser as the problem. It also rules out the Realiser being stuck in "2.0 HDMI handshaking mode".

You should definitely get audio when you connect the Dune to the Realiser direct. That's how I have my Dune connected. I think you should try to get that working before adding the switch to the equation.

On my Dune, in the audio menu, I do not have the first option: Digital Audio Connector. What is that? Have you tried other option in that menu, SPDIF? Maybe turning off routing HD Audio to the HDMI output will fix your problem...

I think it's still a handshaking issue with your Dune. Have you tried Dune --> Realiser --> AV receiver or other surround decoder? 

Hopefully the Dr. HDMI will fix your problems.

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #2,378 of 2,910
I had same issue with Realiser HDMI in.
No way to output multichannel signal from my player.
Signal was always downmixed to stéréo.

Then I tried something :
I turn on the Realiser, after the player, once the movie has already started.
And it works in multichannel.

The thing is, that source HDMI players already tries to find out, if display/AVR.processors can accept multichannel input.
Because HDMI hanshakes, a lot of device send a signal that they can't.
So players output automaticely in stéréo.
But if you skip that moment when players receive bad information, it should work.

Also, I suggest you to not use the HDMI output of the Realiser.
It sais that it's passthrough, but it's not.
YCBR 422 is converted to RGB.

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #2,379 of 2,910
Hello folks, I have some newbie questions about the Smyth Realiser A8.

1. Does the Smyth Realiser A8 convert audio signal into 3D in the digital domain, or in the analog domain?
I can see that it has digital input (HDMI) and analog inputs (RCA), and digital output (optical) and analog outputs (RCA).

If the conversion occurs in the digital domain, I guess the digital signal comes from HDMI, or an in-built AD converter would convert input analog signal to digital.
Then after the conversion to 3D, the digital signal would be output via optical, or converted into analog via another in-built DAC.

On the other hand, if the conversion occurs in the analog domain, then the input analog signal would be converted into 3D and output without any AD or DA conversion.

2. My current setup is:
Mac computer - Metrum Octave (DAC) - Zana Deux SE (headphone amp) - Fostex TH900 (headphones).

If I were to use the Smyth Realiser A8 in this setup, what is the best way to use it?

A) Mac -(via HDMI??)- A8 -(via digital optical)- DAC - amp - headphones
B) Mac - DAC - A8 - amp - headphones
C) Mac -(via HDMI)- A8 -(via analog RCA)- amp - headphones

In the case of (A), digital optical is worse than S/PDIF and would result in a flatter sound, not good.
In the case of (B), if conversion takes place in the analog domain it would be no problem, but if it takes place in the digital domain, having a good DAC before the A8 would become meaningless because the whole chain becomes DA - AD - DA conversion. Having so many conversions would result in less pure sound, and I'm not sure if I can trust that the in-built DAC of A8 (if there is one) would perform well as a DAC.
In the case of (C), there would be nowhere to use my DAC.

Kinda at a dilemma here, because I'm not sure how this thing exactly works. Anyone help?

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #2,381 of 2,910
Conversion from multi-channel to binaural occurs in digital domain, all input signals eventually get converted or resampled to 24bit/48kHz.

Apparently it's beneficial to feed the realiser directly data through the hdmi input (going by users post in this thread) while I did not see as much consensus toward using the optical output to a separate dac vs using the builtin D/A converter. In your case, you don't have optical input to the dac anyhow so it's a moot point...

Also, maybe you just plan on using the realiser with stereo music, but if not, have you thought about how to feed the realiser 5.1 or 7.1 data going through your own dac rather than using an hdmi adapter for your imac? I guessing you'll be limited to stereo material if using a dac between the imac and the realiser...

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #2,382 of 2,910
finally dr hdmi arrived.

tested it. failed. only 2 channel working when connected dune hd directly to the realiser.

Dune Hd hdmi -> hdmi input realiser -> realiser output to dr hdmi -> to projector.

i dont have any other source to connect spdif .

so its the problem with the dune hd? there are 8 options in dr hdmi.  n selected 1st option. im not sure if that has to do anything with it.

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #2,383 of 2,910
Quote:
finally dr hdmi arrived.

tested it. failed. only 2 channel working when connected dune hd directly to the realiser.

Dune Hd hdmi -> hdmi input realiser -> realiser output to dr hdmi -> to projector.

i dont have any other source to connect spdif .

so its the problem with the dune hd? there are 8 options in dr hdmi.  n selected 1st option. im not sure if that has to do anything with it.

You might want to PM Head-Fi member "struggles".

He has a Realiser and a Dr. HDMI, but no Dune. I also believe someone on Head-Fi has a Dune HD Base and a Realiser, but I can't recall who that is. Maybe it is a problem with your Dune. Do you have anything you can connect to the Dune HDMI out that will accept 5.1 or 7.1? That way you can test to see if the Dune will output 5.1 at all.

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #2,384 of 2,910
Forgive me if I am totally mistaken, but why are you using the Dr.HDMI on the output? The whole issue I had was the 8 channel recognition with pc/mac between the Realiser and the multi channel output source, I put the HDMI Detective in between them with a preset EDID and it was then able to output 8 channel.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #2,385 of 2,910
now i tried this way ..   dune hd base 3d -> dr hdmi (option 8) sink EDID -> dvdo quick6.     Dvdo quick6 hdmi out 1 -> projector . dvdo quick6 hdmi aux out -> realiser

= no sound on realiser.

im a beginner, i dont know how to configure it, please advice me.

i have a projector, dune hd base 3d, realiser and dr hdmi. i want to get 5.1 / 7.1 on my realiser through dune hd base 3d. im only able to get 2 channel, but other channels not seems to be working. 
please help me fix this issue. thank you.

i wonder if alienware m17x r3 , 460m gtx can output pcm 5.1/7.1 through hdmi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back