Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Mar 23, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #2,356 of 2,910
Koss ESP-950?

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #2,358 of 2,910
Any Realiser owners who can give me their $.02 on whether or not it would be worth the investment for me to get one? I posted this in another forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/656994/any-smyth-realiser-owners-out-there-who-love-electronic-music

Your comments would really be appreciated Thanks in advance.

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2,359 of 2,910
Quote:
Any Realiser owners who can give me their $.02 on whether or not it would be worth the investment for me to get one? I posted this in another forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/656994/any-smyth-realiser-owners-out-there-who-love-electronic-music

Your comments would really be appreciated Thanks in advance.

I am currently limited to a desktop setup at home, I have had my Realiser for only about 2 months. I use it every day, music/gaming/movies/etc. This little black box has given me more versatility and enjoyment in my little corner of the room, than any other product I have. My experience has been identical to Darin's post from your original, it is a great product. 

Though, after biting the bullet, you will need to find PRIR's that work for you, whether from your own tests or others.This will likely add to your initial investment cost, unless you have some nice wealthy friends with great systems. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #2,361 of 2,910
Has anyone ever got replies emailing Smyth? Long time ago I mailed info@smyth about the "one speaker" measurement bug, no reply. Now I've tried asking several times weeks apart about my display problem, no replies (also tried lorr.kramer). I hope my emails are in some spam folder, how hard is it to reply atleast something..

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #2,363 of 2,910
Thanks, I'll wait after easter holidays and also try lorr@  (though lorr.kramer did not return any errors either..). I refrain from calling international, this is the 20th century after all.
wink.gif

edit: lorr@ actually works. I have no idea why lorr.kramer@ did not end with in delivery errors.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #2,364 of 2,910
Here's a hint. If you haven't done the manual hpeq routine, atleast check these settings:

MENU-HP
RECALCULATE EQ: YES
INVERSION SETUP
  EQ COMPRESSION
  0-5kHz XFACT:1.0
  5-10kHz XFACT:0.7
  10-24kHz XFACT:0.3

Try setting everything to 1.0, reload HPEQ file. Check the manual. Experiment with different values..

Quite a big difference with my TH900's. I think the default settings are quite conservative, since people mostly use quite high-end phones without distortion or other anomalities.

Of course one should really do the manual routine..

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #2,366 of 2,910
To get a sense of what a Realiser processed signal might sound like, try out the following two AIX Records label recordings on iTunes.  The Realiser processed recording was generated using Mark Waldrep's (founder/owner of AIX Studios) personalized room impulse response (PRIR) measurements.

Standard AIX Recording
Nitty Gritty Surround - John McEuen & Jimmy Ibbotson

Realiser Processed AIX Recording
Nitty Gritty Surround (Headphones [xi]) (feat.John McEuen, Jimmy Ibbotson, Jennifer Warnes)

Comparing these recordings will only provide an approximation of the true Realiser experience.  The degree of success you experience will entirely depend on how closely the physical characteristics of your head and ears match that of Mark's.  So again, as has been previously mentioned in this thread, to fully appreciate the Realiser experience there is no substitute for listening first hand with your own PRIR measurements.

You have to hear it to believe it.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #2,368 of 2,910
for those who own dune hd base 3d / max,  when i tried to play dts ma 5.1 mkv file (connected through hdmi , smyth realiser), i could only hear sound from L & R, but not from other channel, what am i doing wrong here?

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #2,369 of 2,910
Quote:
for those who own dune hd base 3d / max,  when i tried to play dts ma 5.1 mkv file (connected through hdmi , smyth realiser), i could only hear sound from L & R, but not from other channel, what am i doing wrong here?

Are you getting 5.1 input to the Realiser with other files? Usually I find that if the HDMI handshake fails then the source will default to 2 channel downmix for all files. If that happens, sometimes I have to power cycle the source, Realiser and/or the TV.

I have found files that cause the Dune to change to 2 channel downmix when I play them. Then after that, all files are played as 2 channel downmix. Once I reboot the Dune, it resets back to multi channel PCM. But playing that one problem file will force the Dune back into 2.0.

Are you using the HDMI pass through on the Realiser to connect to your TV?

If you are only getting 2 channel on that one file and the rest of the files give you 5.1 or 7.1, then I would say it's the file. Can you play the file on another device and get 5.1? You could double check that the file really has 5.1 on a computer.

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #2,370 of 2,910
I bought Dvdo quick6 hdmi switch, connected dune hd -> quick 6 (hdmi in)  and projector -> quick 6 (hdmi out)  ,  quick6 (aux hdmi out) -> realiser = no sound from realiser.
but, quick 6 aux hdmi output -> realiser  and realiser hdmi out -> projector = can get sound. why is it like that? anything to change in settings? i couldnt get any sound from realiser with only hdmi input connected,  i could only get sound from realiser when connecting my projector through realiser hdmi out.

couldnt listen 5.1 / 7.1 through realiser, because i dont have any player that plays lpcm 5.1 / 7.1 except dune hd base 3d . so its not possible for me to test it. because my laptop only outputs 2.1 through hdmi. but the mkv files has 5.1 audio tracks, i checked twice through vlc player.

please advise me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back