Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
May 16, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #1,771 of 2,910
Start off as if you were going to be constructing a preset, but just never SAVE it.

So, for example, MENU -> P4.  Then you're presented with the 4-item primary menu, with the first two items providing a way to select the PRIR and HPEQ you wish to "load" (i.e. "bring in"). 

Push OK (after up/down-arrow navigating if necessary) on PRIR or HPEQ.  Then use left/right-arrow navigation to INTERNAL (to browse the contents of internal memory cells for PRIR or HPEQ) and push OK.

Then use up/down-arrow navigation to scroll through your internal memory contents until you find the PRIR or HPEQ you want to use.  Then push OK, and it will display "LOADING FILE".  When it completes, you'll be back at the primary menu list to choose PRIR or HPEQ (or to save it in the currently selected preset, or to erase the currently selected preset).

Now push EXIT, and you're at the Realiser main display.  The PRIR you've just selected will have been "brought in" to be active.  You don't have to save it if you don't want to.

May 16, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #1,773 of 2,910
Quote:
Thanks very much ds...this is exactly what I needed!

Of course unless you actually do save it as one of your presets you won't be able to do an A/B comparison of it against another preset, since as soon as you push another Px button you've just erased that "temporary" setup you had worked on to create in the "currently active settings".

But for pure temporary listening and as long as you don't power off, it's a perfectly fine method.

May 18, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #1,774 of 2,910
[size=10pt]I just got my RCA Cables, [/size]

[size=10pt]I plugged in just the front left and right and center to run a quick test. Using the pre-outs of the receiver to the realiser RCA inputs. I read the manual of the realiser to make sure im connecting them to the right inputs (for example 3 = front center, and 1 & 2 is front left and right which i have set now). However im not hearing any sound. I cant find anything in the manual of both realiser and yamaha rx-a810 receiver that explain how to make sure these in/outputs are active. Im sure I must be missing anything unless this whole receiver just isnt working the way I hoped it would be. [/size]

[size=10pt]Anyone got some suggestions please? :)[/size]

[size=10pt]EDIT - [/size]

[size=10pt]Got some help from my importer, apparently I had to click Menu + Mode to switch between inputs (page 25 of manual)[/size]
[size=10pt]Would have been nice if smyth mentioned it on page 21 where they explain hdmi / line inputs. [/size]

[size=10pt]Anyways.. It seems to work finally :)[/size]

[size=10pt]EDIT - 2 [/size]

[size=10pt]Anyone living in europe and wanting to buy a realiser I highly recommend the german guys! They're so responsive everytime. They even replied to emails I sent in the evening sometimes :)[/size]

May 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #1,775 of 2,910
The Realiser's input may me set to the HDMI instead of the analog. That is the first thing I would check.

May 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #1,776 of 2,910
Quote:
The Realiser's input may me set to the HDMI instead of the analog. That is the first thing I would check.

Yeah it was indeed :)

Think the manual could be improved a little, They suddenly mention how to change inputs later when they were pretty much done covering the subject of hdmi/line inputs and other inputs and already moved on to other subjects

btw. Now I used analog inputs/outputs i have been comparing source material I have been listening to alot over HDMI and I dont hear any noticeable difference. I did use pretty decent cables though and only about 50/70 centimetres long as I only have to cover the lenght of the receiver to the realiser (which are stacked on top of each other). Im sure there should be some difference but personally I dont hear it

May 19, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #1,777 of 2,910
Quote:

btw. Now I used analog inputs/outputs i have been comparing source material I have been listening to alot over HDMI and I dont hear any noticeable difference. I did use pretty decent cables though and only about 50/70 centimetres long as I only have to cover the lenght of the receiver to the realiser (which are stacked on top of each other). Im sure there should be some difference but personally I dont hear it

I also do not notice any major differences between HDMI and RCA sources with the Realiser.  At first I thought there was a slight widening of the sound stage.  But it certainly isn't that obvious.  And I use the Realiser for audio only, so I am listening pretty hard.  For me the advantage is mainly the convenience of having only one cable.

May 19, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #1,778 of 2,910
I have now listened to several PRIRs graciously sent to me by members here.  I can say that, while it is obvious that the personalization is crucial to the full experience, still, depending on whose PRIRs they are, in several cases the results have been quite good.  For example, I made a PRIR at Audio High in Mountain View of a very high end PEAK system.  When I tried out the PEAK from another member here, the results was that the experience was very similar to my own PEAK.  Almost indistinguishable.  I don't know if this means this member has ears that are very similar to mine, or what.  But I trust my ears.  Another member sent me a PRIR he made at Glenn Poor using the Sasha speakers.  Results: the sound stage was pretty much as wide as AIX; there is something of a degradation of the precise localization I get with the AIX PRIR.  On the other hand, there is a greater sense of spaciousness.  Tonality is better in some areas and worse in others than my AIX 5.1.

So if anyone wants to trade PRIRs with me, please message me.  I am still planning to get new personalizations on my travels around the country, and I know this is ideal.  But in the meantime, this is an interesting alternative.

May 20, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #1,779 of 2,910
I am willing to share my Acapella Excalibur Spharon PRIR's, I have 2 channel and 8.0 channel, no subwoofer was measured unfortunately. I have been using the tactile transducers for sub respone with great success, but on my next visit to Acapella land, I will make sure to get a sub channel out of the Acapella's as they have 4x15 woofers.

I wasn't expecting to record the Acapella's as I did not know that they were even there at the store i visited until i was in the store itself, then i didn't think to calibrate them as a subwoofer as well.

This room did not have any acoustic treatment at that time, but it still sounds amazing, distance from speakers was 2.9 metres at 30 degree angles.

May 20, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #1,780 of 2,910
Hiya Guys,

I made a special thread for PRIR exchange, as this thread is used mostly for info and support and already 119 pages and increasing rapidly that soon alot of people wont bother to go through again I think it would be nice to have a seperate PRIR Exchange thread where all the exchanging users wont get lost between lots of other posts regarding the realiser

http://www.head-fi.org/t/610920/smyth-rvs-realiser-prir-exchange-thread

May 21, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #1,781 of 2,910
Hallelujah!  This is exactly the sort of access to PRIRs that I was hoping for.  It just might be the tipping point to purchase the product for me.  I'm located in an isolated rural town in Australia and while the Realiser is an option travelling to quality sound sources is not.  Kritz's comments about hearing similar sound to another member's PRIR made at the same venue is encouraging.  Using someone else's PRIR file is probably nowhere as good as having your own personalised settings but as long as the end result is better than headphone amp limitations sounds pretty exciting.

May 21, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #1,782 of 2,910
Quote:
Hallelujah!  This is exactly the sort of access to PRIRs that I was hoping for.  It just might be the tipping point to purchase the product for me.  I'm located in an isolated rural town in Australia and while the Realiser is an option travelling to quality sound sources is not.  Kritz's comments about hearing similar sound to another member's PRIR made at the same venue is encouraging.  Using someone else's PRIR file is probably nowhere as good as having your own personalised settings but as long as the end result is better than headphone amp limitations sounds pretty exciting.

Please be aware that there really is no substitute for getting your own PRIR.  Maybe you can swing a trip to a major city with a studio or audio shop you can use.  That said, I can say that compared to the default PRIR in the Realiser, the several good ones I have found made by others are really quite listenable.  The difference between one made by another person and oneself are truly significant in terms of sound stage, localization, and tonality.  But if I were in your situation I might do the same thing until I could find a way to make my own.  And if you are using the Realiser for surround sound movies, I think the difference s are not as profound as they would be for an audiophile, such as myself.

May 21, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #1,783 of 2,910
Quote:
Please be aware that there really is no substitute for getting your own PRIR.  Maybe you can swing a trip to a major city with a studio or audio shop you can use.  That said, I can say that compared to the default PRIR in the Realiser, the several good ones I have found made by others are really quite listenable.  The difference between one made by another person and oneself are truly significant in terms of sound stage, localization, and tonality.  But if I were in your situation I might do the same thing until I could find a way to make my own.  And if you are using the Realiser for surround sound movies, I think the difference s are not as profound as they would be for an audiophile, such as myself.

I assumed that was true, and I am sure it still is to some degree but having heard the PRIRs from Jose, I am changing my mind. I flew to LA to get recordings done at AIX. I am currently using Jose's recording of the Sashas setup from Glenn Poor's over my own AIX recording. Maybe I just got lucky and we have similar shaped heads. I have to say that I find no fault with speaker placement, as that is the only aspect of the PRIR I feel I can judge for accuracy, since I have never heard the speakers in real life. 

May 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,784 of 2,910
I have no expertise in the subject, but I do wonder how different PRIRs should really be from one person to the next. Isn't human hearing very similar or wouldn't everyone hear sounds like music, speech, etc very differently? That seems contrary to the evolutionary purpose of hearing (presumably to hear, localize, and interpert sounds of dangers).

One loses high frequency hearing  with age and I suppose the Realizer might boost those frequencies to compensate. Also, I assume the shape of our ears causes phase differences, but they must be very minor for the majority of people.

I wonder if you could get something close to a universal PRIR, by averaging together a large number of PRIRs taken on the same system/room (i.e. AIX).

May 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #1,785 of 2,910
Quote:
I have no expertise in the subject, but I do wonder how different PRIRs should really be from one person to the next. Isn't human hearing very similar or wouldn't everyone hear sounds like music, speech, etc very differently? That seems contrary to the evolutionary purpose of hearing (presumably to hear, localize, and interpert sounds of dangers).

It's about the shape of your ears and head and the fact that you're brain is used to hearing things being filtered through your own anatomy.  Deep inside, everyone's inner ears are pretty much the same, but the middle and outer ear vary quite a bit and don't have to have a very specific shape either.  What matters is how sources from different angles are filtered differently by the time they get to your eardrum.  If you had some kind of accident that mutilated one of your ears you wouldn't be able to localize sounds as well for a while until your brain relearned the new HRTF of your mutilated ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back