Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Feb 1, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #1,486 of 2,910
For those looking to solve a similar situation as I - feeding the Realiser digitally from an audio source (Squeezebox, Airport Express, laptop, CDP, etc.), the Monoprice DVI & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter does not work. Guessing it needs a video signal too, but back to square one. 

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011405&p_id=5369&seq=1&format=2

Considering audiophiles are listed as half the Realisers user base, I wish it was a bit less video-centric. :wink:

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #1,487 of 2,910

Quote:
For those looking to solve a similar situation as I - feeding the Realiser digitally from an audio source (Squeezebox, Airport Express, laptop, CDP, etc.), the Monoprice DVI & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter does not work. Guessing it needs a video signal too, but back to square one. 

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011405&p_id=5369&seq=1&format=2

Considering audiophiles are listed as half the Realisers user base, I wish it was a bit less video-centric. :wink:

Yes.  I am in the audiophile rather than video camp.  I have an Oppo 95.  One HDMI port goes to the video monitor and one to the Realiser.  There is therefore no need for DA or AD conversion on either end of this process.  It's really very simple and I am pleased with the results.  I don't know how it could be improved, other than by using a bit higher end phones, which I am not about to purchase right now.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #1,488 of 2,910
What about an Acer AspireRevo. You can find an older model for $150 or so on ebay. It does a bit more than you need, but it should work.

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #1,489 of 2,910

Quote:
Yes.  I am in the audiophile rather than video camp.  I have an Oppo 95.  One HDMI port goes to the video monitor and one to the Realiser.  There is therefore no need for DA or AD conversion on either end of this process.  It's really very simple and I am pleased with the results.  I don't know how it could be improved, other than by using a bit higher end phones, which I am not about to purchase right now.

Hey Kiritz, as nice as the Oppo is at playing discs, even with networking it's a pretty poor computer. I'd hate to upgrade and loose useful content. I'm currently using a Sony/GoogleTV box as a feeder. Works for most services and WAV playback, but not ideal. 

Quote:
What about an Acer AspireRevo. You can find an older model for $150 or so on ebay. It does a bit more than you need, but it should work.

That's an interesting solution. Didn't even know it existed. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #1,490 of 2,910

Quote:
I have an Oppo 95.  One HDMI port goes to the video monitor and one to the Realiser.  There is therefore no need for DA or AD conversion on either end of this process.

I don't follow what "either end of this process" means.

The HDMI connection is on the INPUT side.  And of course it bypasses the need for that A-to-D conversion for INPUT.

But "at the other end" or the Realiser the OUTPUT is either analog (to headphones, from the headphone-outputs of the Realiser) or digital (via optical).  This has nothing to do with HDMI.  And unless you use the optical output to feed an external DAC you're going to be using the built-in DAC in the Realiser for the D-to-A conversion to feed the analog headphone outputs.

So what did you mean by "no need for DA or AD conversion on either end of this process"?  You don't mention that you have an external DAC in your setup, so you must be using the analog headphone outputs, meaning you're using the built-in D-to-A chip in the Realiser.

Did I miss something?

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #1,491 of 2,910

Quote:
I am in the audiophile rather than video camp.  I have an Oppo 95.  One HDMI port goes to the video monitor and one to the Realiser. 

That is a nice straight-forward setup, but a lot of us have more sources and not all output HDMI. For example, I use: cable box, Roku, Apple TV, Oppo, and USB/SPDFIF from my computer.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #1,492 of 2,910

Quote:

I don't follow what "either end of this process" means.

The HDMI connection is on the INPUT side.  And of course it bypasses the need for that A-to-D conversion for INPUT.

But "at the other end" or the Realiser the OUTPUT is either analog (to headphones, from the headphone-outputs of the Realiser) or digital (via optical).  This has nothing to do with HDMI.  And unless you use the optical output to feed an external DAC you're going to be using the built-in DAC in the Realiser for the D-to-A conversion to feed the analog headphone outputs.

So what did you mean by "no need for DA or AD conversion on either end of this process"?  You don't mention that you have an external DAC in your setup, so you must be using the analog headphone outputs, meaning you're using the built-in D-to-A chip in the Realiser.

Did I miss something?

Not to answer for Kiritz, but he may have thought along my lines (and was a response to my spdif post). If a spdif to hdmi adapter isn't a realistic solution (and it doesn't appear to be, though there are still a few - though surprisingly few - devices out there) and if you're not happy with the analog output of your 'transport' (doesn't apply to the Oppo :wink: ), you have to figure out where to put the dac. Before, feeding the Realiser the best possible signal or after with the toslink out. Conceivably the best hdmi-not-on-option solution is a dac before (decent analog into Realiser for a/d) and after (bypassing the Realisers d/a). But who wants to do that (not to mention all the conversions)?  Boy, a spdif input would sure be nice. :wink: 

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #1,493 of 2,910
Having two high end DACs will be nice, but I only have one at home, so I do this: 

When watching movies I connect Oppo 95 to the Realizer, then connect the Realizer's SPDIF out to my Esoteric K-01 as a DAC, then onto my amp and headphone.

When listening to 2 channel music, I use the Esoteric K-01 as a source (playing CDs and SACDs) to the Smyth Realizer then amp and headphone. If I have one more high end DAC to connect to the Realizer's output, that should be the better Realizer experience for 2 channel music playback.

Quote:

Not to answer for Kiritz, but he may have thought along my lines (and was a response to my spdif post). If a spdif to hdmi adapter isn't a realistic solution (and it doesn't appear to be, though there are still a few - though surprisingly few - devices out there) and if you're not happy with the analog output of your 'transport' (doesn't apply to the Oppo :wink: ), you have to figure out where to put the dac. Before, feeding the Realiser the best possible signal or after with the toslink out. Conceivably the best hdmi-not-on-option solution is a dac before (decent analog into Realiser for a/d) and after (bypassing the Realisers d/a). But who wants to do that (not to mention all the conversions)?  Boy, a spdif input would sure be nice. :wink: 

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #1,494 of 2,910
Why would you not go Oppo > Realiser > Esoteric for two channel music. It seems inconceivable that it could sound better the other way. It is after all going through the the Realiser's inferior ADC. It would make more sense to buy a new high end digital trasport. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #1,495 of 2,910

Quote:
Hey Kiritz, as nice as the Oppo is at playing discs, even with networking it's a pretty poor computer. I'd hate to upgrade and loose useful content. I'm currently using a Sony/GoogleTV box as a feeder. Works for most services and WAV playback, but not ideal. 

That's an interesting solution. Didn't even know it existed. 

Why would you loose "useful content" upgrading using the Oppo. Unless you are talking about the Oppo no longer supporting the ISO file playback function from a hard drive, however it still will support ISO file playback if you use a disc.

I think what Kiritz is talking about is using HDMI port 2 out of the Oppo for audio, and then into the Realiser, and then out via toslink to a external DAC. Thereby bypassing the Realisers DAC (pcm1794) doing just one A/D conversion using the external DAC.

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #1,496 of 2,910

Quote:
Why would you not go Oppo > Realiser > Esoteric for two channel music. It seems inconceivable that it could sound better the other way. It is after all going through the the Realiser's inferior ADC. It would make more sense to buy a new high end digital trasport. 

imo the Realisers DAC (pcm1794) is really not inferior, its just not the purest way to send out a analog/digital stream if you are going to use a external DAC.

If you are sending a HDMI digital signal to the Realiser HDMI input, and then using the Realisers output Toslink, you are bypassing the Realisers DAC all to getter.

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #1,497 of 2,910
One reason is that the Esoteric utilizes its patented VRDS-Neo CD transport mechanism which is vastly superior to Oppo 95's CD transport...

Quote:

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #1,498 of 2,910

Quote:

Why would you loose "useful content" upgrading using the Oppo. Unless you are talking about the Oppo no longer supporting the ISO file playback function from a hard drive, however it still will support ISO file playback if you use a disc.

Are you claiming the Oppo will allow me access all audio content a computer would? How do you launch a browser on it again? :wink:

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #1,499 of 2,910

Quote:

Are you claiming the Oppo will allow me access all audio content a computer would? How do you launch a browser on it again? :wink:

I am not claiming anything, that's Oppos claim for the most part coming off a external HD, or the net. I don't use any of those functions with my Oppo but I know it does work. Theres icons on the home page of the Oppo for most of this.
See the avs thread for the Oppo BDP-93 or 95.
I use a USB thumb drive for my rock vids, and some music tracks.
For any ISO file, I have it on disc and play back using the disc.
But as I have said I mainly use Blu Ray video audio disc's.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #1,500 of 2,910
I just figured something exciting out. Well it was exciting for me, and possibly no one else. I figure I should share it just in case anyone else can use the information. It is possible to have the Mac Mini play a movie with a DTS/DD track and output Multi Channel PCM. 

First step is to setup the Mac to be willing to output multi channel PCM. Go to Applications/ Utilities/ Audio MIDI Setup. Select HDMI from the left, and then simply change the Format to 8ch. If this is set to 2 channel then only encoded multichannel audio can be sent out over HDMI. The next thing I had to do was set me media player to not output PCM instead of DD/DTS. I use Plex. Under Settings/ System/ Audio, uncheck the boxes that tell Plex your receiver is capable of accepting DTS and DD. If you use VLC go to Audio/ Audio Devices and check HDMI.

Now I just need to send my box back into Smyth for the upgrade. This is going to really help untangle my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back