Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Jan 27, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #1,471 of 2,910
I tried out some music using SACD's and my PRIR 5.1 from AIX, and yes my 009's..
1. Started out using the Cheap Thrills SACD MCH remastered disc.
Summer Time and Piece of my Heart, better detail, better bass and sound-stage.

2. Foghat, Fool for the City 2Ch SACD remastered.
Better sound-stage.

3. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road 30th anniversary SACD MCH.
Much better detail with the vary fast songs, could hear every word, better bass, treble seemed a little bright, better sound-stage.

4. Billy Joel, The Stranger SACD MCH.
Disappointed in this one, brought out the fact that Billy is not a very good musician and that even though this disc is MCH when remastered with some of the tracks they where only 2CH and when remastered they used the L/R front for the sides also. Billy sounds better in my car.

5. Lois Amstroung, Millenium Collection 2CH.
Now that was great and really showed what the 009's can do.How Lois phrased his words, his add libs, his breathing, every sound that came from the man was in tune and clear as a bell. When he would go low with his voice simply amazing, when he would use his trumpet as with his voice it was so commanding, I heard every little sound that I guess made him so great.
The Bass violin was simply amazing in the background, very detailed very well controlled and so precise. The bushes on the snare drum I could hear all the detail, and then when the clarinet came in, so well placed and just sounded so right.

From this little comparison I came away thinking that with example 1 thru 4 the 009's are a waist, yes there is more detail than my HE6 Liquid Fire combo but the 009's simply brought out the flaws and at times seemed a little bright.
But with a true master like Lois the 009's really shined and there is no comparison to my HE6/LF combo. The 009's just sounded so right from the highs to the lows, so detailed and flawless.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #1,472 of 2,910

Quote:

So you use the Realiser as volume control with the W4S DAC1, yeh its cheaper and looks very well made.

I had only previously heard two other external DACs (including one from Benchmark) before making a "blind purchase" of the Audio-GD NFB9 (based strictly on specs, comments by other owners, etc.).  I obviously can't comment from firsthand experience on the W4S or other alternatives, having never listened to them.

However I can absolutely give 5-stars and "two thumbs up" as my rating for the NFB9, which uses dual Wolfson WM8741 chips.

​
[size=x-small]Dual [/size][size=x-small]WM8741[/size]
[size=x-small]ES9018[/size]​
[size=x-small]AD1955[/size]
[size=x-small]AD1852[/size]
[size=x-small]WM8740[/size]
[size=x-small]SNR[/size]
[size=x-small]128 DB (Mono)[/size]​
[size=x-small]120 DB[/size]​
[size=x-small]120DB[/size]​
[size=x-small]114DB[/size]​
[size=x-small]117DB[/size]​
[size=x-small]DYNAMIC RANGE[/size]
[size=x-small]128 DB (Mono)[/size]​
[size=x-small]129 DB[/size]​
[size=x-small]120DB[/size]​
[size=x-small]114DB[/size]​
[size=x-small]117DB[/size]​

I opted for the volume control option as I felt that was important. The remote control comes standard.  The NFB9 provides five inputs:  [size=x-small]1 : AES input, 2 : BNC Coaxial input, 3 : RCA [/size] [size=x-small] Coaxial input, [/size][size=x-small]4 : Optical input, 5 : USB input.[/size]

So as I've mentioned previously, that means there are multiple volume controls available: (a) Realiser, (b) NFB9 DAC to its XLR and RCA outputs, (c) Yamaha AVR for RCA and HDMI input to its preamp outputs, (d) DBX EQ for RCA input to RCA output, and (e) Stax SRM-007 for RCA input and XLR input.

I have manipulated all of these to result in my SRM-007 remaining at 2 o'clock virtually untouched.  I have the Realiser set at -10db, and it's never touched, so that's the primary starting level for everything listened to through the Realiser.

So the only other volume controls I actually vary are occasionally the NFB9, which depending on source level into it optically from the Realiser (which in turn depends on whether the source is a BluRay movie or HDTV channel) I will have set at between 42 up to its maximum output of 48.  ZERO DISTORTION as far as I can tell, even at max 48 output.

And also, since the source fed to the Realiser (from preamp outputs of the Yamaha AVR) is either BluRay movie or HDTV channel, that preamp-out level of the Yamaha is governed by its own volume control which I typically adjust from 0 to +10... to be consistent with the other volume controls in the setup and keep the SRM-007 volume at 2 o'clock.  I find that this one single volume control on the AVR, feeding source to the Realiser via preamp-out... this is the one volume control that for me gets most of the action.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #1,473 of 2,910

Quote:
I think the 24/96 limitation is only when you use the Realisers DAC, the Realiser can except 24/192 so if you bypass the Realisers DAC using the HDMI input port and just have the Realiser do its magic and output the digital audio signal via Toslink to a DAC you should be good to go. imo the least amount of processors in your chain the better off you are.

BDP-95/93, HDMI out>Realiser, HDMI in, Toslink out>W4S DAC, Toslink in, XLR/RCA interconnects out>AMP XLR/RCA interconnects in.

I simply let my Oppo output LPCM of whatever digital format I am using at the time. I have not come across any handshake issues using the HDMI port 2 on my Oppo for my Digital audio output directly connected to my Realiser. I use port 1 on my Oppo for Video only directly connected to my video display.

If anyone is looking at the Oppo and plans on just using HDMI out for audio, then I would suggest getting the Oppo BDP-93 and save yourself a lot of money.

Thanks SS. It appears the hdmi input/output is the only option for what they're calling a "pass through," thus hdmi in (only digital in) and toslink out may result in a resampling. This somewhat makes sense - having a stable 24/176.4-192 optical signal is unlikely so some safe guards need to be in place, plus their earlier model pathway - analog to optical. Anyway, if my question was understood it seems 24/48 is the max toslink output here. Is it possible for you to confirm sample rates on your W4S with a high res track or two? 

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #1,474 of 2,910

Quote:

Thanks SS. It appears the hdmi input/output is the only option for what they're calling a "pass through," thus hdmi in (only digital in) and toslink out may result in a resampling. This somewhat makes sense - having a stable 24/176.4-192 optical signal is unlikely so some safe guards need to be in place, plus their earlier model pathway - analog to optical. Anyway, if my question was understood it seems 24/48 is the max toslink output here. Is it possible for you to confirm sample rates on your W4S with a high res track or two? 

My guess is you are correct, but I don't know that to be a fact. My main use for the Realiser is Blu Ray movies so knowing that they are mastered at 48K, any higher didn't matter to me.
I will send a E-Mail to Lorr asking for clarification.

I have received my 1M XLR cable today so now I can run the XLR cables directly from my Oppo's balanced 2Ch XLR terminals to my SRM-727 XLR balanced inputs for 2Ch playback, when I get a chance I will.

Update From Lorr,
Code:
[size=9pt] The Realiser's S/P-DIF output is 24-bit, 48 kHz[/size]

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #1,475 of 2,910
They were incredible ! ! !

That is all. I have many dreams brewing from this experience. Incredible.

HE 90 was ousted, however neither headphone had been driven out of it's phenominal amp. (HE 90 out of HEV 70) and Sr 009 out of ExTaTa. Both to Smyth Realizer.

I do have to say though, the Realizer itself lives up to every bit of it's hype and is a cool piece of experience.

It ran it's purpose flawlessly. I was very impressed with it's ability to deliver, across a wide variety of headphones for us all at the meet. The 009's, the HD 800's, and the Orpheus's. We used these all in tandem with the Smyth individually, and it was spectacular.. All I've got to say is: The 009's are king. Are they prohibitively expensive? YES.

But they are inarguable king. Orpheus = 15% more euphonic than Sr 009

Sr 009 = 15-20% more transparent than Orpheus. as a notable friend here said "These bring you closer to the music (than HE 90)." I couldn't help but agree.

However HE 90 is still trading punches with Sr 009. I don't think either are better than  the other. I was also amazed at the ESP 950 ability
!!@ Especially out of a powerful Stax amp[!

What a day!

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,476 of 2,910
All other headphones were also incredible too, but these (two) stood out above the rest. An ESP 950 was very impressive out of the right amp. It likes to be fed 'en mass.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #1,477 of 2,910

Quote:
All other headphones were also incredible too, but these (two) stood out above the rest. An ESP 950 was very impressive out of the right amp. It likes to be fed 'en mass.

Nice review, right to the point.

That is my opinion also, most headphones do well with the Realiser.

Even though its still to early for me to form a real opinion, the very high powered Stax SRM-727 amp and SR-009's are probably the best combo I have ever heard coming from my Realiser's PRIR's.
Like the HE6's and LCD-3's you need a very high powered amp to bring out the best of these headphones, imo.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #1,478 of 2,910
It was not really a review, just a report. It was the most incredible day eva. So much cool stuff I won't get over it for awhile! Moar meets in the future! That's for sure!

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #1,479 of 2,910
Both my LCD3 and SR009 both have their own strengths when I listen to 2 channel music without the Realizer.

With the Realizer, however, the SR009 is clearly superior to the LCD2/3. My LCD2/3 simply cannot match the SR009 in creating the virtual effect and realism like the SR009 does with the Realizer. Not even close. Now I am waiting for my BHSE to arrive to maximize that effect. To me that would be the ultimate headphone rig, at least for now.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #1,480 of 2,910
I have a question about the 009. I used the HE-6 for a short time with the Realisers, and hated it. It had nothing to do with sound. The headphones are so heavy that I could never forget that I was wearing headphones. It ruined the illusion of virtual speakers for me. The Lambdas on the other hand are great in that regard. I am curious how the SR-009 is I that regard.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #1,481 of 2,910
The SR009 is the second most comfortable headphone I have, just second to the Ultrasone ED10. On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being least comfortable), I would rate LCD2 as 1, LCD3 maybe 2 or 3, SR009 as 8 and ED10 as 10, in terms of comfort only. I haven't tried the HE6 so I can't tell. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #1,482 of 2,910
Thanks. I would not say the HE-6 was terrible. I would place it around the LCD-2. tolerable, but by no means comfortable.

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #1,483 of 2,910
If HE6 is around the LCD-2, then you won't feel a thing when you wear the 009 in comparison.

Quote:
Thanks. I would not say the HE-6 was terrible. I would place it around the LCD-2. tolerable, but by no means comfortable.

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #1,484 of 2,910
Cool. I am used to using the STAX Lamdas, SR-507 with Basic headband. I am just hoping that they are close in comfort to those. It sounds like they are.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #1,485 of 2,910
Heard something quite remarkable last night.

I was listening to "Justified" (HDTV on FXHD, DD5.1) for only the second time since my recent hardware upgrade, and I couldn't help but remark how amazing was the realism of the sound insofar as making me believe I was listening to the show in a room with multiple real speakers all around me, and how every single nuance and detail was detectable that I'd not ever noticed before.

In particular there was one scene where Raylan goes to the jail to talk to Boyd, and sits down across the glass with both of them talking on phones.  Well I could swear the mic pickup was right there in that little "visitor's" area, with a slight echo coming from the sound of their talking bouncing off the glass in front of each of them.  There was another scene where there was Art driving in the front of the car and a bad guy lying down on the rear seat, and they were talking to each other.  Again, it was amazing how realistic the front/rear sound illusion was, as well as left/right cues.

I know this sounds unimportant.  And I realize it probably also had a lot to do with this particular episode and how the sound was mixed and recorded (and very well, I might add).  But I've been watching this particular show for three years now, and never noticed the sound quality and 3D-virtual surround imaging coming out of my headphones to be so stunningly clear and realistic.  Truly exceptional.

So again, I have to attribute this to the use of my new external DAC fed optically from the Realiser, and putting out XLR direct to my new SRM-007tII... with no DBX EQ involved at all.  I continue to be amazed at the remarkable tonal quality and absolute dead 100% silent noise background from the NFB9 DAC.  Never thought I'd be happy without using the DBX EQ for tone control, but I am.  It's just stunning.  This XLR connection from DAC to amp is truly amazing, and maybe some credit also should go to the Audioquest King Cobra XLR cables.

Whatever the explanation, I can absolutely say that my non-trivial dollar investment in (a) external Audio-GD NFB9 DAC, (b) Audioquest King Cobra XLR cables, and (c) SRM-007tII feeding my blessed Omega-1 headphones, well it's really like I am watching/listening at AIX through their sound system and in their listening room stuido.

Just amazing.  I am very very pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back