Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Jun 15, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #151 of 2,910
Read the licence page too! It says that svs could be incorporated into recievers, dvd players wireless phones.. This could end up being a less expensive way to get svs. Would it not be cool to have a blu-ray player with all the hardware built-in.. you could have a one-box home theater solution with a minimum of cables. Still the svs box is cool as it is. I wish they would have bundled the the next better Stax system with the unit.. the SR3050II system as that seems to get better reviews and is recommended as a worthwhile upgrade in view of the moderate extra cost

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #152 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by banjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read the licence page too! It says that svs could be incorporated into recievers, dvd players wireless phones.. This could end up being a less expensive way to get svs. Would it not be cool to have a blu-ray player with all the hardware built-in.. you could have a one-box home theater solution with a minimum of cables. Still the svs box is cool as it is. I wish they would have bundled the the next better Stax system with the unit.. the SR3050II system as that seems to get better reviews and is recommended as a worthwhile upgrade in view of the moderate extra cost

Since the Smyth folks developed DTS, I'm sure they are looking at licensing the technology down the road. (The first SVS product was originally going to be a SVS box from a licensee - Yamaha).

On the Stax headphones, I think you can still buy the SVS without the 'phones at a $400 discount. Then you could get the SR 3050 II or something further up the Stax line.

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #153 of 2,910
My last email from Lorr said they'd only sell the Realiser bundled with the Stax 2050 package. Granted that was back around April 30th so they may have changed their policy since then.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #154 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My last email from Lorr said they'd only sell the Realiser bundled with the Stax 2050 package. Granted that was back around April 30th so they may have changed their policy since then.

Hmm, I guess we'll have to check and see what the current story is.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #155 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmoura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...On the Stax headphones, I think you can still buy the SVS without the 'phones at a $400 discount...

Interesting. Given that I already have too many headphones and amplifiers, this is an intriguing option. Can anyone confirm?

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #156 of 2,910
While daydreaming about the Realiser, I stumbled upon a possible issue I hadn't considered before. When using the Realiser in conjunction with a surround sound processor/receiver, what speaker settings should be used in the surround sound processor? I'm particularly concerned with the case of calibrating the Realiser in some high-end audio room and then trying to integrate the system into my own lowly home theater. Won't the speaker distances and levels (and, more drastically, any type of Audyssey/MCACC/YPAO auto-equalization) for my current (relatively crappy) system be encoded into the analog outputs of the processor, which feed into the Realiser? Should one switch to some type of "source direct" output when using the Realiser, and then switch back to the usual home theater settings when using one's speakers? Do any processors even offer such an option?

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #157 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When using the Realiser in conjunction with a surround sound processor/receiver, what speaker settings should be used in the surround sound processor?

The website mentions that the Realiser offers "extensive level, EQ, delay, crossover and bass management controls." These settings can be configured in the Realiser or in your processor. For example, you could configure your processor to add 2ms of delay to the surround channels, and configure the Realiser to add another 3ms of delay, for a combined delay of 5ms.
Quote:

Won't the speaker distances and levels (and, more drastically, any type of Audyssey/MCACC/YPAO auto-equalization) for my current (relatively crappy) system be encoded into the analog outputs of the processor, which feed into the Realiser?

The settings for your current system will be applied to the signals, and they might not work well for the other system, so you might want to use different settings in your processor (or bypass them, if possible) while you are using the Realiser.

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #158 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Garci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...The settings for your current system will be applied to the signals, and they might not work well for the other system, so you might want to use different settings in your processor (or bypass them, if possible) while you are using the Realiser...

Ah, as I suspected, which is the only way that makes sense, I suppose. Thanks for confirming!

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #159 of 2,910
My dental insurance changed on 1/1/09 and now $7000 in dental work over the next 6 months means no SVS for me soon (not without selling some beloved gear and getting a loan from the dentist). Bah! Even if I didn't crack two teeth that got infected with bone loss, I have two teenagers who now need braces.
frown.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #161 of 2,910
Quote:

Won't the speaker distances and levels (and, more drastically, any type of Audyssey/MCACC/YPAO auto-equalization) for my current (relatively crappy) system be encoded into the analog outputs of the processor, which feed into the Realiser?

There might be another issue to consider. If you are using a receiver, and your speakers are driven by the receiver's amplifier (as opposed to a separate amplifier that you can turn off), and the receiver's pre-amp outputs are feeding into the Realiser, then you will have to disconnect your speakers while you are using the Realiser, or else you will hear your speakers at the same time.

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #162 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Garci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There might be another issue to consider. If you are using a receiver, and your speakers are driven by the receiver's amplifier (as opposed to a separate amplifier that you can turn off), and the receiver's pre-amp outputs are feeding into the Realiser, then you will have to disconnect your speakers while you are using the Realiser, or else you will hear your speakers at the same time.

Some people have a speaker A/B on off switch (or similar) and can turn off the speakers without turning off the pre-amp out or headphone jack of the receiver.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #164 of 2,910
If it is possible to not have to buy the Stax and get a small discount, I'm thinking go all out and snag an HD800, balanced cable, and a Headroom BUDA and bring that to Dr. AIX's studio. There goes my yearly toy budget
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back