Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Jun 9, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #136 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it acts as a fancy AV switch as well as a processor.

No, it's a pass through the way I see it - but it can pass through SACD analog I think, not just digital. I would have to write to them to get more details myself.

Jun 9, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #137 of 2,910
Quote:

Why would this device need output jacks? An internal switch from speakers to headphones?

Well, yes... sort of.

In the connection diagram the Realiser is "located" between the preamp outputs and the amp(s) inputs for the true loudspeakers. Thus you have 8 discrete channels of analog input and the matching 8 discrete channels of analog output... going right through the Realiser like a wire.

This is required for both (a) calibration process for the room/ear files via loudspeakers, where the Realiser feeds sweep signals to each amp/loudspeaker, and (b) bypass of the SVS processing when you simply want to listen to sound through your real amp/loudspeakers instead of through your headphones.

The headphone outputs of the Realiser are the "tap" on that analog connection pathway between preamp outputs and loudspeaker amp inputs, which is what facilitates SVS processing. The result of SVS processing is then delivered to the headphone outputs of the Realiser, in both analog (after internal D-to-A conversion) and digital forms.

The analog headphone outputs of the Realiser then go to the analog inputs of the headphone amp. Optionally, if you prefer you can instead use the digital headphone output of the Realiser connected to the digital input of an external DAC, and then connect the analog output of the DAC to the analog input of the headphone amp. Note that the Realiser's analog headphone outputs are RCA, whereas the digital/DAC optional path from Realiser to headphones can (and probably would) utilize XLR connections, or RCA depending on DAC hardware.

Same story holds regardless of whether you have separate components (preamp or processor with separate amp(s) for your loudspeakers) or receiver (which provides preamp outputs to feed external amp for loudspeakers). The preamp-level discrete 8 channels of decoded output from whatever is your preamp-level "source" box, whatever that is, goes to the 8 main analog inputs of the Realiser.

This set of 8 discrete channels of analog inputs and outputs connections through the Realiser allows for both of the following situations:

(1) true "pure analog pass-through" of all 8 inputs to all 8 outputs when the Realiser is either (a) powered off entirely with power cord pulled from the wall, or (b) "off" by being placed in stand-by mode with the remote. This is genuinely like a "wire".

(2) "digital pass-through" using suppressed internal Realiser electronics so as to perform no SVS processing, but still involving A-to-D conversion upon entry from the inputs and D-to-A converson before exiting from the outputs, when the Realiser is powered on. In this mode of operation there is NO output to the headphone jacks, but only to the 8 main analog outputs and thus sound is heard only from the loudspeakers. Again, there is NO SVS processing applied to the sound fed to the 8 main analog outputs but there is A-to-D and D-to-A conversion involved.

Note that "digital pass-through" mode of operation (to listen through loudspeakers only) while the Realiser is powered on can be initiated by both (a) pushing the PASS button on the remote to specifically stop supporting the headphones and revert to loudspeakers, or (b) taking the headphones/head-tracker off and rotating them forward 90 degrees or so in order for there to be no IR signal received by the head-tracker receiver on top of the TV. This latter technique is typically used to do an A/B-comparison of true loudspeaker sound vs. what SVS has provided while listening through your headphones.

This digital pass-through (i.e. suppression of SVS processing and inhibition of headphone output) can also occur if you turn your head left or right far enough so that again the IR signal emitted by the head-tracker mounted on your headphone headband is far enough off-center so as again not to be received by the receiver.

NOTE: if you truly want to listen to "highest-quality analog audio", say from a 2-channel audio CD through your 2-channel decoder/preamp/amp and then on to your zillion dollar 2-loudspeaker system, you would want to use "pure analog pass-through" mode (by placing the Realiser "off", i.e. in standby). This completely bypasses the internal A-to-D and D-to-A conversions within the Realiser which cannot be avoided when using "digital pass-through" mode (i.e. when the Realiser is "on").

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #138 of 2,910
Gotcha. I haven't ordered mine yet so I don't know the details of the whole calibration procedure yet.

It would be nice if the Smyth website would go live and maybe have some downloadable owner's manual PDF's so I can edjumacate [sic] myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #140 of 2,910
Quote:

Gotcha. I haven't ordered mine yet so I don't know the details of the whole calibration procedure yet.

It would be nice if the Smyth website would go live and maybe have some downloadable owner's manual PDF's so I can edjumacate [sic] myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think the Smyth web site is up yet.

But I agree. A look at the manual would be very interesting !

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #141 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmoura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A look at the manual would be very interesting !

You'll be disappointed. It's currently a 12-page pamphlet that doesn't describe hardly anything you might really care to learn. Nothing that we've been discussing in this thread is in the manual.

Basically, it tells you how to connect the wires, and how to calibrate, and how to save/label the results, and how to store in a preset. That's it.

It doesn't even describe the buttons on the remote!

It doesn't even state that "volume" is the up/down buttons (unlabeled) on the remote.

It doesn't describe analog vs. digital pass-through.

They realize they've got some real work to do here.

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #143 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsperber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll be disappointed. It's currently a 12-page pamphlet that doesn't describe hardly anything you might really care to learn. Nothing that we've been discussing in this thread is in the manual.

Basically, it tells you how to connect the wires, and how to calibrate, and how to save/label the results, and how to store in a preset. That's it.

It doesn't even describe the buttons on the remote!

It doesn't even state that "volume" is the up/down buttons (unlabeled) on the remote.

It doesn't describe analog vs. digital pass-through.

They realize they've got some real work to do here.

That's not good. The manual for my blu-ray player is a bound book of 78 pages. Obviously a BR player has a lot more sub functions than a processor but they should at least attempt to describe all functions and necessary procedures in detail.

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #145 of 2,910
Anyone else notice this:

"iPods and other personal players

While it would be impractical to carry a Realiser around, the output of the Realiser can be recorded into a device such as an iPod. For the optimum effect, the listener can make a one-time measurement through the ear buds to correct for the bud/ear interaction and to improve the earbud response. Then the mobile listener can enjoy the full dimensionality, and much of the quality, of a good surround speaker system while mobile. Since there is no picture and the listener is constantly changing direction, head tracking is unnecessary."

Can you imagine reencoding music through this thing and using the portable Stax OTG? I know 3K is a lot, but if true to form, this is revolutionary. Its like downloading hardware instead of music. Imagine a studio renting amazing speakers, making profiles for everyone there, and then returning them afterwards. God forbid they hire any new recording engineers, but can you just imagine? And one day, we may actually hear what the studio and artist intended and it won't actually be with speakers, but with headphones. I bet not many would have predicted that.

Jun 11, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #147 of 2,910
Also: it states that it comes shipped with a default profile, for those without access to high-end systems (to be used only as a sub-optimal last-resort measure, of course). That's reassuring, at least.

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #149 of 2,910
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it's a pass through the way I see it - but it can pass through SACD analog I think, not just digital. I would have to write to them to get more details myself.

Speaking of SACD, I see that a number of Telarc, Concord and Heads Up SACDs are on sale right now for only $5.98 each!

For fans of the Smyth SVS system, picking up some of these titles - especially a Surround Sound SACD like the excellent Los Angeles Guitar Quartet "LAGQ: Latin" for $5.98 - could be a very nice way to break in the new system.

See Concord Music Group : Search for the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back