Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Jul 24, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #1,906 of 2,910
I was told by someone over at the AVSForums that the Panasonic DMP-BDT320 Blu-Ray player will decode 5.1 and 7.1 audio and output full quality multi-channel LPCM audio from the HDMI port. The Panasonic also has a usb port and will play back MKV files on an external hard drive or over the network and decode the audio.

For $145, I will probably pick one up and see how it works. It could be the answer to my search for a source for the Realiser that will play MKV files.

I have found that many Blu-Ray players will decode DTS, but they revert to lower bandwidth DTS even if the disk or file is DTS-HD. Also many will mix down to 2.0 channel for Dolby Digital files.

This LPCM via HDMI is really proving to be tougher than I thought. It's not a very commonly needed feature on AV receivers or media players. I guess I may have to end up going with the analog inputs as a backup.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #1,907 of 2,910
Two questions to the owners:

I suppose Realiser completely eliminates auditive fatigue we can get from headphones, right?

Has anyone been using it only for stereo? Impressions?

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,908 of 2,910
Sounds great in 2ch mode.  I rarely use my surround measurements since I don't have much 5ch+ audio.

I find the Realiser a bit less fatiguing than a normal headphone chain.  I'm not sure about completely eliminates, though.  The Realiser is the only thing I've used that made the SR009 not sound bright and edgy to me.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #1,909 of 2,910
Quote:

I suppose Realiser completely eliminates auditive fatigue we can get from headphones, right?

I don't experience any headphone fatigue with the Realiser.  I mostly use it for 2.0 and for music.  However, since it can emulate a 5.1 system which I don't own myself, I've started enjoying some of the high quality 5.1 music blurays and DVDs out there.  They do add a dimension to the musical experience.  I don't use the Realiser for movies as my good monitor is in another room.

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #1,910 of 2,910
Quote:

I too use the realiser mostly for 2 channel.  It's fantastic.  As for fatigue,  I think the custom headphone eq setup really makes a difference.  When I did my PRIR at AIX, I noticed that the tonality using the headphones was a little brighter than the actual speakers.  This is a common reaction and Lorr explained the reason why.  However, I can't actually remember at the moment.  At any rate, the custom eq works great.  The more times you go through it, the closer you will get to the actual tonality of the original speakers.  The manual does a good job of explaining the process.  

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #1,911 of 2,910
Quote:
I was told by someone over at the AVSForums that the Panasonic DMP-BDT320 Blu-Ray player will decode 5.1 and 7.1 audio and output full quality multi-channel LPCM audio from the HDMI port. The Panasonic also has a usb port and will play back MKV files on an external hard drive or over the network and decode the audio.

For $145, I will probably pick one up and see how it works. It could be the answer to my search for a source for the Realiser that will play MKV files.

I have found that many Blu-Ray players will decode DTS, but they revert to lower bandwidth DTS even if the disk or file is DTS-HD. Also many will mix down to 2.0 channel for Dolby Digital files.

This LPCM via HDMI is really proving to be tougher than I thought. It's not a very commonly needed feature on AV receivers or media players. I guess I may have to end up going with the analog inputs as a backup.

FYI, I bought a Panasonic DMP-BDT320.

The good news is that it was cheap and it works great as a source for the Realiser. I have confirmed that it will decode all the surround formats and send them as multi channel PCM out the HDMI port. I tested it with DTS 7.1 Blu-Rays, DTS 5.1, and Dolby Digital 5.1 Blu-Ray disks. It also supports playback of most MKV and MP4 files from an external USB hard drive connected to its USB port. Finally a device that will decode DTS or Dolby Digital from MKV files!

I did find some MKV files that the Panasonic would not play. I am not sure why or what's different about those files yet. The Panasonic definitely doesn't support as many file formats as my WDTV Live or other media players. But I am happy to find a device that works well with the Realiser.

Not bad for $145.

-Darin

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #1,912 of 2,910
I've been considering the possibility of selling my Woo WES amp to buy the latest version of the Realiser, to pair with my KGBH amp and SR-009.  I was very impressed with the CanJam 2009 demo, even with simple Lambda style headphones.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #1,913 of 2,910
Curious if there is anything in between the Lambda and the 009s.  I don't think I can justify $5K for a pair of phones right now.  But I can tell the Lambda's that came with the Realiser have limitations.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #1,914 of 2,910
Quote:
Curious if there is anything in between the Lambda and the 009s.  I don't think I can justify $5K for a pair of phones right now.  But I can tell the Lambda's that came with the Realiser have limitations.

Although I have not heard the Stax SRS-2070 (I bought the Realiser without ever listening to it before), I was able to purchase a set of Stax 407's and a 323 amp for $900 off Audiogon. They sound great. I am assuming the 407/323 combo should sound better than the 2070 combo. How much better, I don't know. I will be able to compare mine with Lorr's in a couple weeks to see if I can hear a difference.

But if you want to upgrade, you may be able to find something used for a lot less than $5K. ($5K is only for the headphones though. You would still need to buy a much better amp to go with it. I think a 009 setup is closer to a $10K investment.)

Or if you can believe a poster over on the Stax thread, he said he picked up a pair of 009's for $10 at an estate auction...
confused.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #1,915 of 2,910
Quote:
Or if you can believe a poster over on the Stax thread, he said he picked up a pair of 009's for $10 at an estate auction...
confused.gif

Please don't derail this thread with that troll.

HeadphoneAddict: From a price-performance consideration, if you prefer the speaker signature, you'd be getting a massive upgrade going from a high-end stat amp to the Realiser.  I like the retail version for the HDMI in/out, but the B-stock sounds great too.

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #1,916 of 2,910
Quote:

Please don't derail this thread with that troll.

HeadphoneAddict: From a price-performance consideration, if you prefer the speaker signature, you'd be getting a massive upgrade going from a high-end stat amp to the Realiser.  I like the retail version for the HDMI in/out, but the B-stock sounds great too.

I'd still have a KGBH, KGSS, HEV70 stat amps to use with my SR-009, SR-007, HE-60 and Lambda Nova Signature.  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #1,917 of 2,910
Incidentally, if anyone runs into a better Stax headset than the one that comes with the Realiserand is interested in selling,  I might be interested in a purchase. I doubt that I can go all the way to the 009, but perhaps something in between would be an improvement. I love the Realiser but do sense that there are some limitations arising from the headset, since I mostly listen to classical music and jazz.  I doubt that it would matter much for movies.

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #1,918 of 2,910
Someone can possibly save me some time figuring this out from the manual.  So I find that one of my preset's bass is too heavy.  I press MENU ALL.  This gives me the menu with BASS, TREBLE, etc.  I reduce the bass by 8 db.  I then try to save this as a parameter in the preset.  No go.  If, after I press OK and then exit the MENU ALL, the bass remains adjusted until the next time I open MENU ALL.  If I try to save the preset with MENU PRESET 1, SAVE PRESET, and then go to another preset, when I return to PRESET 1 the bass is back where it was before my adjustment.  I have tried a number of permutations and combinations but can't get the adjustment to "stick," in a preset.  I know there must be an obvious answer, but I haven't found the solution yet.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #1,919 of 2,910
Quote:
Someone can possibly save me some time figuring this out from the manual.  So I find that one of my preset's bass is too heavy.  I press MENU ALL.  This gives me the menu with BASS, TREBLE, etc.  I reduce the bass by 8 db.  I then try to save this as a parameter in the preset.  No go.  If, after I press OK and then exit the MENU ALL, the bass remains adjusted until the next time I open MENU ALL.  If I try to save the preset with MENU PRESET 1, SAVE PRESET, and then go to another preset, when I return to PRESET 1 the bass is back where it was before my adjustment.  I have tried a number of permutations and combinations but can't get the adjustment to "stick," in a preset.  I know there must be an obvious answer, but I haven't found the solution yet.

I just tried the same thing using "Menu/All" and it is not saved with the preset. I think it might be a global setting that is saved when you hit the "!" and save configuration.

If you want to set the bass/treble and have it saved with the preset, you have to set that individually for each channel/speaker. See page 52 of the manual. If you can't figure it out, let me know and I can try to write up detailed instructions.

In any case, I can confirm that adjusting the individual channels and then saving the preset will save these settings with the preset.

I hope that helps.

P.S. Kiritz, are those your CIEM's in your Avatar? Which UE's are those? Do you use them with the Realiser? How do they work? (Maybe I missed earlier posts if you have already commented on them.) I am looking for a more portable way to listen to the Realiser when traveling. I don't want to bring my Stax setup due to it's size and weight.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #1,920 of 2,910
Quote:

I just tried the same thing using "Menu/All" and it is not saved with the preset. I think it might be a global setting that is saved when you hit the "!" and save configuration.

If you want to set the bass/treble and have it saved with the preset, you have to set that individually for each channel/speaker. See page 52 of the manual. If you can't figure it out, let me know and I can try to write up detailed instructions.

In any case, I can confirm that adjusting the individual channels and then saving the preset will save these settings with the preset.

I hope that helps.

P.S. Kiritz, are those your CIEM's in your Avatar? Which UE's are those? Do you use them with the Realiser? How do they work? (Maybe I missed earlier posts if you have already commented on them.) I am looking for a more portable way to listen to the Realiser when traveling. I don't want to bring my Stax setup due to it's size and weight.

Thanks a lot!  I will work on this.  No, that is not my image in my Avatar.  Must be a default image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back