Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Jul 1, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #1,861 of 2,910
Anyone know what's happening over at Smyth? Their site is down and it appears their domaine name is no longer registered! I tried to contact Lorr, but my email got returned.

Jul 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #1,862 of 2,910
Quote:
Anyone know what's happening over at Smyth? Their site is down and it appears their domaine name is no longer registered! I tried to contact Lorr, but my email got returned.

Sounds like they forgot to renew their registration...

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #1,864 of 2,910
This afternoon, I spoke with Lorr Kramer (Smyth), who was kind enough to return my call while on holiday.  He assured me, all is well with Smyth Research, and he will be contacting the folks who manage the web site to have a look at the issue.  I expect the site (and email) will be back in the next day or so.

Jul 6, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #1,868 of 2,910
What are people using for sources for the Realiser? Seems like most people are using Oppo players with Blu-Ray's. Has anyone tried using a hard drive with blu-ray ISO or MKV files? I was thinking about getting a Dune HD Smart player since it supports network streaming and multichannel LPCM audio output via HDMI: Dune D1 Media Player

I haven't purchased a Realiser yet, but I watch all my content ripped on network servers as opposed to physical blu-ray or DVD disks.

On another note, has anyone had any luck convincing any local high end audio stores to let you use their demo systems to calibrate your Realiser? I would think it's not in their best interest to let you use their gear knowing that you are not going to buy it. If you bought a Realiser at a high end store, did they let you use their systems for calibrations?

I am in San Diego. Anyone know of a place that might let me do a calibration? I don't know anyone locally that has high end gear... I know I could go up to AIX. Anyone know how much that costs to have Smyth do calibrations at AIX?

Thanks for your help.

Jul 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #1,870 of 2,910
There's something I still don't get. When I do settings with Smith personnel, do I have to bring my own rig or any rig will do? I mean, I plan to use the Realiser with a GES and SR007 MKII. I don't want to carry these around since I will need to take a plane and so.

Jul 6, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #1,871 of 2,910
You need two different measurements to use your Realiser.  You need the measurements of the speaker system, and you need the measurements while wearing the specific headphones you want to use.  You can do those separately in different places, as the headphone measurement is independent of the speaker system.

Be sure to take multiple measurements of the speakers, as it takes me a few tries to get a really good one.

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #1,872 of 2,910
So the measurements for a new headphone for instance, I can do at home on my own? I dont need to go back to the room I measured?

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #1,873 of 2,910
Quote:
San Diego?   Contact Lorr Kramer and make an appt to go get your PRIR done at AIX Records.  It will be well worth the drive.

Anyone know how much they charge to rent the studio and do the measurements at AIX? I can't seem to get anyone at Smyth to call or e-mail me. (Maybe it's the 4th of July holiday/week.)

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #1,874 of 2,910
Quote:
So the measurements for a new headphone for instance, I can do at home on my own? I dont need to go back to the room I measured?

Correct.  The headphone measurements are independent of the speaker measurements.  You can go home and make measurements with 10 new headphones if you'd like.

When you create your preset for the Realiser, you'll choose your speaker measurements for slot 1, and your headphone measurements for slot 2.

Quote:
Anyone know how much they charge to rent the studio and do the measurements at AIX? I can't seem to get anyone at Smyth to call or e-mail me. (Maybe it's the 4th of July holiday/week.)

Last I heard, it was something like $100-250?  It's a fraction of the price some European studios are charging (900euro+).

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #1,875 of 2,910
If you can convince them to do both 5.1 and 7.1 calibrations.  You'll be totally covered and it makes it like almost having two for one deal.

Sometimes AIX lets you buy some of their albums (like audio Blu-Rays or DVD Audio) and put those towards the cost of the studio usage fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back