Loki Mini Impressions
Sep 28, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #31 of 1,011
I really wish that they started doing knobs like this earlier. The notch on my Asgard 2 is basically impossible to see with my glasses off.
Another way of phrasing what I believe you’re saying: “I’m so happy that Schiit is listening to their customers and have made the pot setting more obvious for eyes and fingers. This has inspired me to get my triangular file out and cut a groove in the volume pot on my Asgard2. I’ll then mark it up with a stylish high viz nailpolis and enjoy my A2 even more”.

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #32 of 1,011
Another way of phrasing what I believe you’re saying: “I’m so happy that Schiit is listening to their customers and have made the pot setting more obvious for eyes and fingers. This has inspired me to get my triangular file out and cut a groove in the volume pot on my Asgard2. I’ll then mark it up with a stylish high viz nailpolis and enjoy my A2 even more”.
Yeah, all we need now are front power switches.
Also, good idea with the triangular file. I can't believe I haven't thought of that before.

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #33 of 1,011
So a bit of a confession here, I am a bit of a basshead. I love to have really accurate audio when listening to most genres, but nothing is quite like the awesomeness that is (good) electronic music with super heavy bass. The first thing I did when I got my Loki (about 15 minutes ago) was turn the first knob all the way up and turn on some Deadmau5 (While 1>2). Loki took a setup that is pretty darn awesome (Bifrost multibit with gen5 + Lyr2 + Audeze EL8) to pure eargasm. The clarity at even crazy EQ levels is astonishing. I'm being a bit modest with the volume on the Lyr2, but even so there is no distortion. The music is smooth as silk but with all the extra bass I love with this genre. I equate this new setup to the subwoofer I have in my car. The regular speakers are all pretty awesome (Hertz Hi Energy), but the sub just adds that extra bit of amazing to electronic (and I can turn it down with its own knob too). Adding Loki was like adding a subwoofer to my headphone system. If you are a basshead, you need this.
Loki = subwoofer headphones..

This is high praise. I assume the same would be true for turning cans into treble cannons?

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #34 of 1,011
@lordskh Personally I’m ok with the pots on my Jotunhim and Saga. But that’s what I would do if I wasn’t. To make it easier and less noia I would probably remove the pot first by losening the small allen pinheadscrew.

Really looking forward to more impressions of the mighty Loke mini so I can look even more forward to add it to the pile.
SubEffect sounds fantastic. A HIGH praise indeed!

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #36 of 1,011
I really wish that they started doing knobs like this earlier. The notch on my Asgard 2 is basically impossible to see with my glasses off.

The detents are wonderful. But even with your glasses on, the notches may not be perfect. I caught a good photo angle before.
loki-at-night.jpg

On another company's product I applied some Testors enamel paint into similar notches with a very thin brush. Works great.

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #37 of 1,011
So a bit of a confession here, I am a bit of a basshead. I love to have really accurate audio when listening to most genres, but nothing is quite like the awesomeness that is (good) electronic music with super heavy bass. The first thing I did when I got my Loki (about 15 minutes ago) was turn the first knob all the way up and turn on some Deadmau5 (While 1>2). Loki took a setup that is pretty darn awesome (Bifrost multibit with gen5 + Lyr2 + Audeze EL8) to pure eargasm. The clarity at even crazy EQ levels is astonishing. I'm being a bit modest with the volume on the Lyr2, but even so there is no distortion. The music is smooth as silk but with all the extra bass I love with this genre. I equate this new setup to the subwoofer I have in my car. The regular speakers are all pretty awesome (Hertz Hi Energy), but the sub just adds that extra bit of amazing to electronic (and I can turn it down with its own knob too). Adding Loki was like adding a subwoofer to my headphone system. If you are a basshead, you need this.
That’s what i want to hear. No distortion even with crazy gain eq. I ordered it

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #38 of 1,011
I have had very minimal time with mine so far, but was liking what I heard. Set the 20Hz knob almost all the way up and turned down the 20KHz knob a bit. I've absolutely loved my HE-6, but always felt the treble was a little hot, and being it's an open back headphone I have been wanting more bass. I think I will get there with the Loki :L3000:

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #39 of 1,011
Ordered mine! Almost ordered the Magni 3 as well, but figured I was ok with ifi iCan SE. Hope the Loki doesn't get stuck at customs!! Stopped, I can handle. Stuck would...suck.

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #40 of 1,011

I am very interested in hearing what this can do. I have almost the same set-up, using Bimby and Lyr 2, so I am curious to see how you stacked them. I am very limited on space and the Loki could almost sit on top of the Lyr but would cover some of the vents near the tubes. Concerned that the heat might be too much for it. Just curious of you could post a pict to let me see how you have arranged them. Would be great if we could see some future iterations where it would match the case size of the larger offerings...

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #41 of 1,011
I am very interested in hearing what this can do. I have almost the same set-up, using Bimby and Lyr 2, so I am curious to see how you stacked them. I am very limited on space and the Loki could almost sit on top of the Lyr but would cover some of the vents near the tubes. Concerned that the heat might be too much for it. Just curious of you could post a pict to let me see how you have arranged them. Would be great if we could see some future iterations where it would match the case size of the larger offerings...

My setup is not elegant at all. I have my Bifrost and Lyr 2 sitting on a little table next to my couch. Loki is just kind of sitting by itself on the couch arm. It works pretty well. I couldn't really find a better place for Loki in the quick 5 minutes I gave it (I really wanted to listen to it).

Also yes, the bypass switch is on. I was testing it out before I was done for the night last night.

oO2mndx.jpg

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #42 of 1,011
thanks, I guess I'm trying to justify the purchase. If it would fit nice and neatly in my set-up, it would be a slam dunk, but I think it may end up being awkward in placement and hard to access...ok then. Decisions....

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #43 of 1,011
I
The detents are wonderful. But even with your glasses on, the notches may not be perfect. I caught a good photo angle before.

On another company's product I applied some Testors enamel paint into similar notches with a very thin brush. Works great.
I like what you did there. Running the little schiits side by side gives a pretty sleek setup.

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #45 of 1,011
I've had Loki two days now, and I have to say this is exactly what I needed. I just got the Mr Speakers AEON a month ago and coming from the Oppo PM-3 I loved the detail of the AEON but I missed the bass so much. No longer! Loki mini is awesome. Stereo and sound stage sounds just as great as ever on the modi multibit, and now I have bass again. The variable Q is a very innovative approach to EQ too. on the AEON I was able to remove the inserts, and I have the 20hz knob at almost 3/4ths and the 400hz knob at about 2/3rd. Flat on the two rightmost knobs. Completely fixes the bass hole in the AEONS. I'm as happy as a pig in schiit!

Now they need to make a Tube Buffer version that matches the Bifrost line :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back