Loki Mini Impressions
Mar 9, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #916 of 1,011
I used a fine tipped sharpie on both the Ember and Loki knobs...

i-bpfqSkk.jpg

Fine tipped sharpie is still a bit too big to fully coat the channel... thinking the fine tipped art pins would get in there easily, but the ink wouldn't work... maybe if there was a very fine tipped paint pen.
Jetpens.com. Look for uni posca paint markers. They do 1.0mm tips... HTH! Edit: No, I have not tried them, but they sell bunches of really fine point stuff.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #917 of 1,011
Jetpens.com. Look for uni posca paint markers. They do 1.0mm tips... HTH! Edit: No, I have not tried them, but they sell bunches of really fine point stuff.
Correction to my post, I used an ultra fine point Sharpie... has a 1mm tip which is just a bit too big... A .8mm or smaller tip would probably be ideal for the Loki knobs.

Mar 9, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #918 of 1,011
Mar 15, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #922 of 1,011
What are some non-permanent/invasive ways you guys use to mark your dials? I see with the new black revision they added an accent on the dial. But the silver version it's incredibly hard to see where the dial position is. I was thinking a sharpy? But would that not run off with your sweat quickly?
My Loki is black but the buttons are silver.
I cut out very thin strips of black adhesive with a cutter that I simply applied delicately in the slots of the buttons.
I also stuck a small round black adhesive label on the led whose light is now very attenuated.

Guytou

Attachments

• L1030460.jpg
    L1030460.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 15, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #924 of 1,011
What are some non-permanent/invasive ways you guys use to mark your dials? I see with the new black revision they added an accent on the dial. But the silver version it's incredibly hard to see where the dial position is. I was thinking a sharpy? But would that not run off with your sweat quickly?

Just got the Loki Mini+ too, love it. Really allows you to tune the music to your liking and make up for deficits in your headphones. EVERYTHING sounds better now! And with the build quality, it's fun to twiddle with.

It does get relatively warm (who cares I suppose. But the Magni 3+ also gets pretty warm on its own so putting it on top or under of the Loki Mini+... I'm sure they're fine though, no doubt.), and the LED light is incredibly bright (much brighter than the Modi+ light), so I wish the power switch was on the front instead of the back. Just replace the LED with the power stick, viola :)
What are the differences of loki + vs original. Is it worth the upgrade? I only now found info that there is some upgraded version. So how to know if you got original or upgraded version. How was the packing of + version is it written somewhere that it is upgraded + version? Thanks for help

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #925 of 1,011
What are the differences of loki + vs original. Is it worth the upgrade? I only now found info that there is some upgraded version. So how to know if you got original or upgraded version. How was the packing of + version is it written somewhere that it is upgraded + version? Thanks for help
The Loki+ came out in their March 2021 restock, so it is new. I was wondering the same, here is what their engineer stated to me in an email when I asked this question:
Loki Mini + has boosted performance over the original Loki—using super-high-fidelity, low noise, single-discrete-gain-stage, and LC-filtered.
Here is what their site states in the Loki FAQ:
So wasn’t there a Loki Mini, no “Plus,” that you introduced like 5 minutes ago?
Yep, if 5 minutes actually means “more than three years ago.” We decided it was time to make it even better—and keep the price the same, as we are wont to do. We brought out the original Loki Mini because we’re kinda contrarian. Tone controls have become virtually verboten over the last three decades in high-end audio. For those of you who remember some crappy tone control and EQ implementations, including dull, veiled, nasty-sounding knobs on the front of receivers and noisy, truly awful-sounding banks of 10 to 30 sliders (usually fixed in a death-grin), you know that there’s a good reason tone controls went away. But we decided to take a look at it and see what we could make with a single gain stage (rather than 10-30 op-amps in a row) and using passive LC (inductor-capacitor) filtering wherever possible. And we found that we could create an extremely transparent equalizer that allowed for some very nice control over tonal characteristics, without the downside of traditional tone controls or EQs. So we decided to make it and see if you find it interesting as well.

So how is this better than the original Loki Mini?
A number of ways. The biggest thing is a new gain stage with drivers before the output to increase linearity, as well as matched devices throughout. In addition, there’s a new power supply that dramatically reduces noise (already inaudible at like -100dB, but hey, let’s go nuts a bit, right? Plus some tweaks to get maximum THD down, even when you’re really tweaking the knobs.

Measurements are fine, but does this actually sound better?
Absolutely. Or at least we think so.

The back of the new Loki+ states Loki+ and the packaging states "Loki M +" (for Loki Mini+)]

I haven't had the original Loki so can't comment on whether or not it's marketing, or actually a noticeable difference in the lower-level hi-fi gear

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #926 of 1,011
The Loki+ came out in their March 2021 restock, so it is new. I was wondering the same, here is what their engineer stated to me in an email when I asked this question:

Here is what their site states in the Loki FAQ:

The back of the new Loki+ states Loki+ and the packaging states "Loki M +" (for Loki Mini+)]

I haven't had the original Loki so can't comment on whether or not it's marketing, or actually a noticeable difference in the lower-level hi-fi gear
Thanks for explaining. So it is possible to say from package but looks like the look of the unit is the same right ? Ofcourse there was some changes they say but how it will be possible to hear these differences it is a question. But possibly someone will get both and will compare. Anyway good info i got here. I newer had loki but bought from one guy the original one so wondering if it was worth over +. But i am not from states so either version is hard to get here :) so got what was available. When i receive it will test but i hope i will be happy with it

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #927 of 1,011
My Loki is black but the buttons are silver.
I cut out very thin strips of black adhesive with a cutter that I simply applied delicately in the slots of the buttons.
I also stuck a small round black adhesive label on the led whose light is now very attenuated.

Guytou
No joke, the Loki M+ could almost double as a lamp if you hung it over your head. (obviously jesting here, but the LED feels way brighter than it really should be, tbh). It, along with the much more subdued Modi 3+ LED (but still too bright IMO), light up half my room at night =/ I do have a small room though, lol

Liquid Spark's LED is very sane in comparison

Also, that's odd. Is your Loki a mini + edition, or original? The new + edition has black dials with a silver (or white, can't tell) accent on the dials. When I was looking to buy the original, the only option was the silver trim. Black wasn't listed as an option. But maybe that was just a stock issue

loki-mini-plus-blk-front-1920.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #928 of 1,011
C'est aussi étrange. Votre Loki est-il une édition mini + ou originale? La nouvelle édition + a des cadrans noirs avec un accent argenté (ou blanc, je ne peux pas le dire) sur les cadrans. Lorsque je cherchais à acheter l'original, la seule option était la garniture argentée. Le noir n'était pas répertorié comme une option. Mais peut-être que c'était juste un problème de stock

loki-mini-plus-blk-front-1920.jpg

When I bought my Loki from Schiit Europe (December 2019), there was still a choice of color between silver and black.
I preferred to buy the black model.

A few months later I saw that only the color silver was now available.

Guytou

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #929 of 1,011
I’m really enjoying the Loki Mini + after a few days of getting to know it. I like an analog, non-fatiguing sound that has impact even at lower volumes. I don’t like overly bright headphones or speakers. After over a decade in this hobby, I have found a good match in the Audeze LCD2Cs. They come closest to the sound I am after. There seems to be a consensus that the LCD2Cs open up a bit with a SPOFC headphone cable so I added one from C3 Audio that did just what people were saying it would. It was a nice SQ bump with my Bifrost 2/Asgard 3 rig.

Next I wanted to put my ModiMultibit back into service and I was interested in adding a tube so I bought the new Vali 2+. Again there seemed to be a consensus of LCD2C owners that a vintage Sovetek tube paired well with these headphones and once again I found that they were correct. It is a really nice pairing that is fun in it’s own way, separate from the Bifrost/Asgard stack. In another review I compared the bigger stack to eating at a fine dining restaurant and the Vali 2/ModiMulti to the best taco truck in LA.

Those small tweaks made me wonder what I could be missing out on with the bigger stack. Should I add a tube preamp to the chain or get a Lyr 3 since I liked the Vali so much? About then Jason announced the Loki Mini + and it got me thinking about EQ. Roon has an EQ setting provided by Audeze for the LCD2Cs but I haven’t found it to be an improvement. It changes the sound but it’s just different, not better to my ears. I started thinking about how the Multibit DACs work and that they do best when fed non-oversampled files, letting the MegaComboBurritoFilter do its numerical thing. When using the Roon EQ setting, it upsamples the file to optimize it for the EQ process so that it is now feeding the Bifrost 2 something different than the original file. Putting the EQ in the chain after the DAC seems like a more logical solution for the way Multibit DACs work.

I should add that I seek out the best CD pressings without a of compression from the Loudness War. I came up in the 80s and as a result I own a lot of these CDs in my collection. Before using Schiit Multibit DACs I was buying a lot of high resolution files, SACDs, Buu-ray Audio, DVDA and expensive Japanese discs. After hearing how good 16/44 sounded on multibit, I sold most of those discs to fund the Bifrost 2 purchase and I’ve been buying a lot of used CDs instead. Some albums I have purchased multiple copies in various formats hoping for an improved sound. One example is Hall & Oates Rock’n Soul Pt 1 where even the SACD version is missing a bit of slam or bass I'd like to hear and that I remember from seeing them live in 1983. ModiMulti and Bifrost 2 bring out the best I’ve heard from this album and a lot of early CDs that people think sound thin but I’ve always felt it could be better.

Adding the Loki to the chain gives me that extra little bit that I was looking for when buying different versions of my favorite albums. It also takes the place of tube and cable rolling which is so hit and miss. I can add air and sparkle to the existing dynamics of the LCD2Cs and some bass slam on the low end. My original plan was to look at the graphs and correct the dips and peaks but it has become more about experimenting with albums and finding the perfect match for my ears and system. The bypass toggle really helps, letting you reset to neutral to hear your changes. I understand why Jason is building the Loki Max with memory settings and a remote. It would be a pain to get up and cross the room to change EQ settings on a living room system especially if you are listening to a playlist and not entire albums. It’s easier on a desktop rig to make small changes by turning the small knobs. I have a primary setting with the treble adjustment between 2 and 3 on the dial and the bass in the 2 o’clock position. This works well for a lot of modern albums that already have good mid bass and prominent vocals. On older recordings I also turn up the midbass and midrange to around 1 or 2 as needed.

I’ve also found that I prefer the Asgard’s low gain setting when the Loki is in the chain as opposed to the high gain without. I think I needed a higher volume for treble clarity and impact but the Loki lets me “turn up” the volume on just those areas of the music. I’ll need to live with this set up for a while before I land on a final setting but it has been a fun and rewarding experience with a low barrier for entry - $149 for the Loki Mini + and $36 for new Blue Jeans Cables RCAs.

My source is Roon playing CD’s I’ve burned as FLAC and Tidal streams via a RaspberryPi 4 running Silent Angel VitOs USB to Bifrost 2. Based on my experience with the Loki Mini, I will consider adding the Loki Max in the future to my living room set up. My ideal device would actually be a Saga S with the Loki Mini + built into it. Probably wouldn’t fit in the same case but it would be nice to have a matching stack and one less power supply on my desktop.

IMG_1503.jpg

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #930 of 1,011
Thanks for the write up, I'm nearly sold on Loki, but might wait to see what Schiit have in store for the Max version.

The one thing I can't quite wrap my head around is the fact that Loki Mini has just 4 fixed bands to apply EQ. I say “just” because the software EQ I'm using on my Mac provides N-band EQ with much finer control of gain, Q, and a lot of other options.

For example, I can check out AutoEq database for “recommended” EQ settings for lots of headphones and IEMs, replicate them exactly, and then tweak to my own taste. How would I do this with Loki?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back