Loki Mini Impressions
May 16, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #947 of 1,011
Would the Loki help with the lack of bass within the Senn 800s
It adds some, yes. It's not boomy bass though. It's clean, linear and it doesn't interfere with the natural frequency response of the HD800S's.

May 16, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #949 of 1,011
Great just a little more bass and the 800s are impossible to beat.
They are fantastic headphones. The HD800S's are one of the most accurate headphone I own. The Loki adds just enough low end to make them a very enjoyable listen.

May 17, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #951 of 1,011
They are working on a Loki Max now so it may be worth waiting

May 18, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #953 of 1,011
After comparing Schiit's own measurement of the Loki mini + and SBAF's measurement of the loki mini with aligned y and x axis, it seems that the center frequency and Q values are not changed, except for the treble (8k) band, which now seems to have a center frequency of 7k instead of 8k:
IMG_9886.jpg

IMG_9889.jpg
IMG_9888.jpg

IMG_9887.jpg

May 21, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #954 of 1,011
Is anyone aware of a device out there that's similar to the mythical Loki Max please?

I am seeking a hardware stereo EQ that has at least 8 bands and a remote control. So far my search results are either pre-1990s or modern rack-mount pro gear, neither of which have a remote.

Thanks,
Simon

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #956 of 1,011
So the idea of high quality, high end, tone controls done in hardware is becoming increasing appealing to me. Software tone controls (EQ) don't interest me that much though. The idea of opening a app, tweaking a profile, listening, then deciding I don't like what I hear, and then tweaking again...just seems like torture...and completely takes me me out of the music.

So if Schiit designs a mini "cello audio palate"...I'm in...if it's really transparent, but honestly, another active component in the analog signal path just ain't very "high end"...

But here's my question...and it's probably a better question for Mike Moffat...could a product with 5-10 EQ knobs (parametric knobs?) be designed to operate solely in the digital domain? I'm thinking a box with tone control knobs that sits between the digital source and the DAC (or perhaps a combined DAC/EQ [tone control] box) that tweaks the EQ in the digital domain, with a knob, on the fly while I listen, before the D to A conversion is done. How much lag would there be after I turn a tone control knob and hear the change?

This is a product I would buy in a heartbeat...just a thought.

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #957 of 1,011
After comparing Schiit's own measurement of the Loki mini + and SBAF's measurement of the loki mini with aligned y and x axis, it seems that the center frequency and Q values are not changed, except for the treble (8k) band, which now seems to have a center frequency of 7k instead of 8k:
IMG_9886.jpg
IMG_9889.jpgIMG_9888.jpg
IMG_9887.jpg

These frequency/amplitude plots for the 4 bands show 7 positions for each band. Are these steps in the hardware, or are the controls continuous?

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #958 of 1,011
These frequency/amplitude plots for the 4 bands show 7 positions for each band. Are these steps in the hardware, or are the controls continuous?
Continuous, no fixed steps

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #960 of 1,011
Loki Mini+ arrived today, and Holy Schiit! [Genuflects toward Corpus Chrisi]

I used to run my 2-ch through an ancient GAS Thoebe, bumping bass and treble in a subtle way to liven up my DIY open baffles.

Then everything went to Schiit, Mimby and SYS, beautiful but not complete.

Today, instantly, Loki wakes the bass, dials out an annoying room resonance, puts sparkle back into the treble, all without screwing up anything else. At all.

Genius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back