Loki Mini Impressions
Jun 4, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #574 of 1,011
The knobs on mine have a detent at 12:00. Or is that not what you mean?

None of mine "detent" at the 12 o'clock position. Its not a big deal to me as I only use it with Jot and HD800. For people who use it with more than 1 HP makes returning to the points you want to more difficult. But still the norm would be for those knobs to detent at 12o'clock, not 1 or 1:30, or elsewhere on the range of movement.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #575 of 1,011
None of mine "detent" at the 12 o'clock position. Its not a big deal to me as I only use it with Jot and HD800. For people who use it with more than 1 HP makes returning to the points you want to more difficult. But still the norm would be for those knobs to detent at 12o'clock, not 1 or 1:30, or elsewhere on the range of movement.

Strange. Do yours lack the detent altogether, or is it at 1:00 or 1:30?

Jun 4, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #576 of 1,011
Strange. Do yours lack the detent altogether, or is it at 1:00 or 1:30?

The detents are there but all are offset to the right a bit by slightly different amounts and I'm not inclined to pull Loki apart to reposition the pots. It's just not that big a deal and all are off on average around 12:30 to 12:45 position on my unit. When I said 1:00 to 1:30 it was by way of example. I also believe I got one of the very early production Loki's, and this unit is so small there's not a lot of space under the hood to work around inside so I don't consider it that important, and its only $149.00, still an outright bargain in today's market. And it does exactly what it is supposed to do with no distortion I can hear, but then I don't crank a knob to the point of unrealistic sound, or just for effect. Like I said previously, I only feel a need to use it with Jot and HD800. If I had a 2-channel system Loki would most likely get more use around the speaker / room interface.

Still, a single detent should be at the center of its full range L to R and positioned at the 12 o'clock position, at least that's the only way I think I've ever seen such a positioning scheme on any audio product I've owned.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #578 of 1,011
For Pete's sake, they are just pushed on! Pull them off and then put them back on straight.

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #580 of 1,011
For Pete's sake, they are just pushed on! Pull them off and then put them back on straight.

The problem isn't the knob. Its the pots shaft and pot positioning. The knob has a plastic bushing that accepts the semi circular metal shaft of the pot. The bushings hole positioning appears correct with the almost invisible line indicating the knobs position on the outside front of the knob.

Its the pots themselves that are cocked slightly to the right on my unit. There is a thin hex nut that appears to hold the pot(s) in position. One could maybe work some needle nose pliers in there, loosen the nut and try and re-position the pot and its shaft so that its detent is at 12 and re-tighten the nut and hope its position doesn't shift in the process. And also hope something doesn't snap or bind as you try and re-position it.

Forcing the knob into a position of 12 o'clock on the pot shaft does nothing, the pots physical detent will still be off of the 12 position and that's what needs to be at the 12 o'clock position. I guess its also possible to strip out the bushing and eventually the knob could end up spinning uselessly instead of turning the pots stem. I think those pliers could be used in that case to adjust the settings.. One could also apply enough force to turn the knob(s) counterclockwise in an attempt to re-position the pot and hope something doesn't break.

For $149.00 I decided to leave it all alone and use as is.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #581 of 1,011
^ +1. Just leave the knobs alone and enjoy the Loki. Expecting absolute perfection under $200 is probably unreasonable considering there is no SQ degadation from the slightly off center knobs. Two of my knobs detent exactly at 12:00 and two are at about 12:15. Nothing to worry about really. Unless you are really bothered by small discrepancies then you are probably in the wrong hobby for your wallet:)

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #582 of 1,011
To be honest I can't really see those markings on the knobs, so I've just assumed the detent is at 12:00 on mine. On closer inspection, one of them is actually very slightly off - like 12:15. Doesn't bother me one bit.

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #583 of 1,011
To be honest I can't really see those markings on the knobs, so I've just assumed the detent is at 12:00 on mine. On closer inspection, one of them is actually very slightly off - like 12:15. Doesn't bother me one bit.

Same here; the other three are fine. No biggie. :)

Jun 4, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #584 of 1,011
^ +1. Just leave the knobs alone and enjoy the Loki. Expecting absolute perfection under $200 is probably unreasonable considering there is no SQ degadation from the slightly off center knobs. Two of my knobs detent exactly at 12:00 and two are at about 12:15. Nothing to worry about really. Unless you are really bothered by small discrepancies then you are probably in the wrong hobby for your wallet:)
Actually in my opinion, however low the pricing is, it should be an SOP to make a "perfect" product out to custy. Low-priced should not be any different than high-priced in terms of manufacturing quality. But Schiit is not perfect and I just hope in the future they can identify the problem and improve on this.

Jun 5, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #585 of 1,011
Sorry, my bad. I need new glasses. I could have sworn those shafts were round.

The pots are soldered directly to the circuit board so no chance of shifting them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back