Logitech Triplefi 10 Vs Logitech UE 900
Dec 2, 2012 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Trojacked

Previously known as Immortalmuso
I was wondering how the new UE 900 stacked up to the great triplefi 10's. The triplefi's are very well know for there bass and mids, how does the new ue900 compair to the old triplefi's. which one sounds better and what are the differences?

IMMORTALMUSO

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 20
The TF10Pro are known for there good punchy bass response and soundstage and mids are major improvement on UE900 compare to UE TF10Pro and they(UE900) are more revealing.

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #3 of 20
UE900 has more forward mids, but they sound slightly veiled to me. (The TF10 has "clearer" mids, but they are more recessed and distant) It retains the very wide soundstage, but i found it to be lacking in depth. The bass is slightly less prominent than the TF10, but it still has very ample impact which will satisfy people who liked the bass on the TF10. However, I think the most noticeable difference between the two is that the TF10 has a fair amount more treble sparkle than the UE900.

Fit wise, the UE900 is the clear winner due to the shape of the shell. The cable of the UE900 is also a huge, huge improvement over the TF10 as it is a braided cable unlike the horrible stiff plastic-thing that came with the TF10.

The jump in overall sound quality is not amazing, but it is there. The UE900 is a fuller sounding, more balanced IEM than the TF10, but I would advise people to wait till the price drops slightly (especially if you're in Australia).

May 8, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 20
I've been a recording engineer and studio musician for over 30 years. I've mixed hundreds of albums, dozens of feature movies and tens of thousands of TV commercials.  I listen for a living and have a very critical ear when selecting monitors and headphones.

I use 4 different sets of headphones for different application. The Triple-fi's, custom molded UE7's, Bose Tri Ports, and yesterday I got the Logitech UE 900's.  Here's my take on the UE 900's vs. the Triple Fi's.

The UE 900's have a noticeable bump at around 7K with a very narrow Q. So much so, that it brings the hi hat (and cymbals) too far forward in the mix for me. I'm all for brightness, but what bothers me is that it's not a smooth brightness. It's kind of grainy or harsh. They are also lacking in the mid bass area. (150 - 400 hz) I get (barely) enough thump from the kick drum, but once the bass player gets off the low E string the bass line kind of goes away. That's a problem, I want to hear the whole bass line. Overall, they make me want to reach for the EQ button and that's never a good sign for any monitor or mic. On the good side, they are very light weight and comfortable to wear. They seem to stay in your ears better than any other (non custom molded) IEM. They look cool in your ears, and I love the mic on the cable. I'm not so sure about the braided cable. Time will tell if it gets kinked up or not, but my gut tells me it might. Great packaging, great extras, lots of choices with buds.  But ultimately they don't sound as accurate as the Triple Fi's to me. I think they are good for casual listening, working out, especially cycling or snowboarding because of the low profile and less wind noise, but I would NEVER use them to mix with. I'd go with the Triple Fi's because they are closer to studio monitors or the Bose Tri ports because they are closer to what most consumers want to hear. A headphone with a permanent loudness button on. OK headphone snobs, you can laugh now about the Tri ports, but honestly as a mixer, I always check my mixes on them to make sure I haven't over cooked the top or bottom.

The Triple Fi's are great and very accurate. By accurate I mean closer to studio monitors. No hype on the top or bottom, just a very well balance sound. The fit is a little weird and of course you could never use them on stage as a musician or you'd look like a total goof. The only way I got the fit to work for me was Comply foam tips, and going with one large tip, the other medium. But now the fit is great and they stay in my ears no problem. I've mixed many, many projects with these headphones and know them well. I prefer the sound of the Triple Fi's to even my UE 7's and often use them at home while practicing or programing parts. But never while playing a gig.

As for the UE 7's. They are a great entry level custom mold IEM, but next time around I'll probably go with the Capitol Studio ones. The UE 7's are on the mid rangy side and really lack the low bass.  Eventually I'll need to get a new pair of custom molds, but I keep putting it off because of the money.

So there's my 2 cents. If fit and look is important to you I'd get the UE 900's. If sound quality is more important, I'd get the Triple Fi's. If you are a musician thinking to cover performing IEM's by getting some off the shelve UE 900's I'd say save your money and get custom molds. You need them when playing live or during long rehearsals. When you sweat, custom molds always stay in.

Hope this helps someone.

May 8, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 20
Imo the tf10 has better build quality. Also the tf10 cable being pins instead of the mmx style of the ue900.

I dobt feel for the price of the ue900 that its that much better than the tf10 but thats just me

May 8, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
Imo the tf10 has better build quality. Also the tf10 cable being pins instead of the mmx style of the ue900.

I dobt feel for the price of the ue900 that its that much better than the tf10 but thats just me

They were released at the same price point...  Both 400...  UE 900's price will drop, just like the TF10 did, with time.

May 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

They were released at the same price point...  Both 400...  UE 900's price will drop, just like the TF10 did, with time.

true, but personally i felt the ue900's build quality wasnt on par with the build quality of the tf10. i feel like for the original msrp for the trf10 the sound quality is worth it. it has its own style and personally when i had the tf10 i loved them wore them all the time great fit and great sound. ue900 seem a bit more plasticky in build and i felt like it was almost a redesigned tf10 with slightly emphasized sound signature over the tf10. kinda like the tf10 was the base model and they changed things off that.

i abaoloutly hate the mmx style connector. but love the pin style connector. just feel its more stable more firm.

to me the tf10's were worth 400.00 ue900 eh not so much

i do feel now at some of the used price points of the tf10, like i got mine for 100.00 off here and thats a hell of a price for what those iems can do.

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 20
+1

Out of my Ipod Touch 5 ( No EQ  and no external amp), the Triple Fi  sound fuller than the UE900.
The bass of the UE900 sounds anemic compared to the UE900s.
Treble is a tiny bit better on the TripleFi and soundstage sounds the same to me.

I will return them to the Apple Store.

It seems that the Jerry Harvey magic is gone.....  

JH13/16 next???

My 2 cents.

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
+1

Out of my Ipod Touch 5 ( No EQ  and no external amp), the Triple Fi  sound fuller than the UE900.
The bass of the UE900 sounds anemic compared to the UE900s.
Treble is a tiny bit better on the TripleFi and soundstage sounds the same to me.

Agreed completely! I sold off my UE900s earlier this year (ended up getting a sweet deal on some W4s which I like much better!) Last month I traded for some TF10s and I like their sound much better. I agree with everyone who claims that the 10 has a better stage and a fuller sound. However, if neutrality is your game, I don't think the TF10 wins there, my problem with the 900 was that they just weren't as fun because they sounded so neutral to me!

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
 Agreed completely! I sold off my UE900s earlier this year (ended up getting a sweet deal on some W4s which I like much better!) Last month I traded for some TF10s and I like their sound much better. I agree with everyone who claims that the 10 has a better stage and a fuller sound. However, if neutrality is your game, I don't think the TF10 wins there, my problem with the 900 was that they just weren't as fun because they sounded so neutral to me!

I agree. The Triple Fi earphones have a more fun sound signature.

In regards neutrality I find it controversial.  If the bass and/or treble is a little boosted there is no neutrality....., On the other hand, if the mids are a little boosted is a different story.

On top of that if the bass and treble are boosted on a JH16 is just fine, however, if the extra brightness and bass come from a pair of Triplefis........ they are put down because of this.

By the way, I also tried the Sony XBA-40 Quad..... and again, the Triple Fi earphones win with fuller sound and soundstage.

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

I agree. The Triple Fi earphones have a more fun sound signature.

In regards neutrality I find it controversial.  If the bass and/or treble is a little boosted there is no neutrality....., On the other hand, if the mids are a little boosted is a different story.

On top of that if the bass and treble are boosted on a JH16 is just fine, however, if the extra brightness and bass come from a pair of Triplefis........ they are put down because of this.

By the way, I also tried the Sony XBA-40 Quad..... and again, the Triple Fi earphones win with fuller sound and soundstage.

If the mids are boosted, it's not neutral either.  Many refer to that signature as sweet.  If the mids and bass are boosted, then we get warm and/or warm and sweet.  That isn't neutral either.  If mids and treble are boosted, it's bright.  If only treble is boosted, it's called treble-happy :p  None of the above are truly neutral. 

The UE 900 is closer to neutral than the TF10 (based on what I've read, descriptions, etc.).  The UE 900 is still not neutral. 

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

If the mids are boosted, it's not neutral either.  Many refer to that signature as sweet.  If the mids and bass are boosted, then we get warm and/or warm and sweet.  That isn't neutral either.  If mids and treble are boosted, it's bright.  If only treble is boosted, it's called treble-happy :p  None of the above are truly neutral. 

The UE 900 is closer to neutral than the TF10 (based on what I've read, descriptions, etc.).  The UE 900 is still not neutral. 

So, are there any true neutral earphones or headphones?  I do not think so.

There will be always a sound signature. Even amps have been tuned to have a specific sound signature.

So if you have a very colored amp, you might want a flatter sounding earphones, but if you have a flat sounding amp these earphones will not do the trick.

Synergy is the key IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back