Logitech acquires Slim Devices!
Oct 19, 2006 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Veniogenesis

Headphoneus Supremus
Oh my. Unexpected. http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=28821

Quote:

I am pleased to announce that Logitech is acquiring Slim Devices, and I am glad to have the opportunity to share the news here in our forum before the official press release goes out.

We have been building a relationship with Logitech for quite some time. As we got to know their executive team, it became clear that there was a compelling opportunity for us to work together to bring Slim Devices’ products to the mainstream market. As you may know, Logitech recently launched the Wireless DJ music system, and also produces Harmony remote controls, which many of our customers already use with their Squeezeboxes.

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 25
WHAT

NO!!!

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
What is Slim Devices?

www.slimdevices.com.

The guys behind the Squeezebox and Transporter.

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci
Oh my, this is disturbing! I guess I will put off my transporter purchase for a little while longer to see how all this plays out. I'm kind of glad I did not pounce on the transporter preorder.

It doesn't sound like it'll play out any way for quite a while; they're still giving Slim Devices significant autonomy right now. I'd be surprised to see any significant changes within six months, and any tragic changes within a year, even assuming the worst case.

(Heck, it usually takes Corel a year to kill a new acquisition, and they've had more practice than anyone else.)

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 25
What do you guys forsee in the future for SD?
Cheaper products?
Logitech branding?

The CEO of SD and a big wig at Logitech are trying to pacify the community but I assume its mostly PR BS, although what will happen remains to be seen...

Oct 19, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 25
I'm happy for their CEO Sean Adams. He's a nice guy and pretty young too. I hope Logitech leaves him to run his company in the same manner he's been doing... just with more money and market behind it.

Oct 19, 2006 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 25
And what the hell is that transporter, is like a tunner or what? I was reading trying to figure out if it is a HDplayer, or an internet tunner, but honestly I'm totally lost....what else you need, to connect to the internet, and then where did you get the files from, because to pay $2000.00 for just a fancy box to play files that you have to pay later on is not such a big deal to me???

Oct 19, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #11 of 25
To offer a little hope I have used a Harmony remote for over 4 years now and the remotes and service have improved. So far I have not been aware of any ill effects of Logitech's ownership and it retains the Harmony name though Logitech is added in places. It's true that that is a least common denominator sort of product and the Transporter is more high end and specialized, so the fate of the two could be different.

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel
What do you guys forsee in the future for SD?
Cheaper products?
Logitech branding?

Customer service?

Good news: "SlimServer will continue to be available free of change under the GPL" and "all of our employees have accepted new employment offers."

And I always have to ask, shouldn't Slim Devices threads be under Computers-as-Source? I never understood why they consistently end up here.

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx

And I always have to ask, shouldn't Slim Devices threads be under Computers-as-Source? I never understood why they consistently end up here.

The Transporter can act as a stand-alone DAC, and does not require a computer source.

Oct 19, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
and does not require a computer source.

O RLY?

Oct 19, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #15 of 25
hey, at least their mouses are pretty decent stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back