LIVEWIRES PURCHASERS (NOT JUST OWNERS!) - Did you Keep? Refit? Return?...
Mar 23, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #61 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

with all of these "backup pairs" of headphones, why don't you just get UE's?

Mine aren't "back ups". The new set will have black faceplates for my "Johnny Cash" days!

Mar 23, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #62 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosmic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine aren't "back ups". The new set will have black faceplates for my "Johnny Cash" days!

haha good one....

Mar 23, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #63 of 76
I got my first red/blue set with black baseplates for my "Men in Black" days.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #64 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for clearing up that their will probably not be an upgrade for the livewires and that the one now is the one that will stay. As you said if its not broken don't fix it
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John Diles has NEVER mentioned anything about a triple driver model. The T1 is the only model they need because it does the job right the first time. I just spoke to him a week ago, and as far as I know, there is NO plan to make a triple driver model, or sell anything other than the current formula of a dual driver system with balanced armatures - if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Yes, thanks for the clarification - it's much easier for you to have regular communication with John Diles so I appreciate that info. I guess I just held out the hope based on the previous discussions about the potential for a triple driver paired with my impressions that the ER4S still delivers a slightly better resolution at the top end (micro detail, armospherics) than my Livewires (though obviously the Livewires deliver equally or better everywhere else
smily_headphones1.gif
). Not enough for me to consider anything but the Livewires for my IEM but enough for me to wonder whether a future model might stretch what is correctly identified as an excellent first model. (However I take it you are implying T1 has the numeral 1 not representing the 'first' model but the 'No 1 = best" model
wink.gif
).

Quote:

...for me the prospect of having a backup of my favorite earphones is most reassuring. It lets me enjoy them that much more, instead of being afraid something will happen to them. I have a backup Edition 9 too, and an RS-2 to backup my RS-1, and a Proline 2500 to back up my HFI780, and a STAX SR-Lambda to back up my SR-Lambda Signature, and a STAX SR-5 gold to back up my other SR-5 gold, and a STAX SR-001 Mk1 to back up my Mk2, and one SRD-X to back up the first, etc. This is the full extent of my OCD, is the need for backups to enjoy the primary unit...
biggrin.gif

LOL. And I thought I was a little excessive having back-up/alternative equipment of different makes/models! Best of luck to you, HeadphoneAddict. It's nice to have the capacity to be assured of a 'back up' for different situations or
eek.gif
emergencies.

Mar 23, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #65 of 76
T1 is indeed the model number.

But, it is also ranked #1, beating my SE530 and Triple.fi 10 Pro. I sold the Triple.fi after a week or two because of poor fit and some coloration of the midbass - And I haven't listened to the SE530 since the beginning of November when they were loaned out. I pretty much either use the Livewires for mobile when I want isolation, or the Denon C700 as my #2 for when I want to let a little more of the environment around me get through.

By far, the Livewires are the most engaging and enjoyable window into the music of all my IEMs. I've owned most models of the Shure except the SE210, SE420, and E5c. I've had both UE Super.fi 5 Pro andf Triple.fi 10 Pro, and passed them on. I've given away 3 pairs of Marshmallows since I never listen to them, and my JVC air cushions are just backups to the Denons. I've had the ER6i and parted with them, and the IM716 will possibly be sold, as I am just not digging them despite the podectomy I paid dearly for (3 switch with selectable ohms for adding 22, 33, 47, 55, 69, 80, or 102 ohms). The only universals I would consider owning right now are the Sleek SA6 based on reviews, or the Westone 3 (which I have heard).

Mar 23, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #66 of 76
Quote:

I got my first red/blue set with black baseplates for my "Men in Black" days.
very_evil_smiley.gif

My first blue/clear set are for my "Sipping Pimms on the Riviera" days.
cool.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #67 of 76
Quote:

T1 is indeed the model number.

But, it is also ranked #1, beating my SE530 and Triple.fi 10 Pro...By far, the Livewires are the most engaging and enjoyable window into the music of all my IEMs...and the IM716 will possibly be sold, as I am just not digging them despite the podectomy I paid dearly for (3 switch with selectable ohms for adding 22, 33, 47, 55, 69, 80, or 102 ohms). The only universals I would consider owning right now are the Sleek SA6 based on reviews, or the Westone 3 (which I have heard).

It's like we're on the same thought pattern.

I agree with all and currently hold im716s as my back-ups should I need to send the Livewires away in an emergency (so I do understand what you are saying as I agree that the im716s hold many shortcomings even as a back-up pair!). And, yes, the Sleeks and the Westones would be the only minor universal interest I would ever entertain - it's hard for me to even write that nowadays after such time with the Livewires (which is ironic because if the Westone 3s had come out when originally thought I'd probably have headed that route - thank goodness for the delays and my resultant Livewires bliss
biggrin.gif
).

In fact I've even stated recently that I think the chances of the UE11 Pros being significantly better are such that I'd only satisfy my curiosity about them if I was given a set for free (say as a result of winning a competition or something); that even if I had a mega lottery win I wouldn't bother investing in buying a set because I really do think the Livewires are likely to hold their own in that more expensive company.

Mar 23, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #68 of 76
Hmm. I took 2 weeks to get used to wearing them, and wearing them properly. Before that I was not wearing them deep enough. It took 10 weeks for the livewires to land in my hands!

My right side doesn't fit as perfectly as my left though, I need to spend some time trying to get the perfect position. Probably because my right ear is bigger. Anyone experiencing this as well?

Mar 23, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #69 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by lonereaction /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My right side doesn't fit as perfectly as my left though, I need to spend some time trying to get the perfect position. Probably because my right ear is bigger. Anyone experiencing this as well?

Perfect postion? It should go in the way your impressions came out!

My left canal is smaller than my right, and the fit is good, although not as tight fitting as my right. I can break the seal in my left ear by turning my head to the right, or pulling faces, or laughing too loud.
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #71 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by lonereaction /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kinda off-topic here.. but all seal is lost to hell whenever I try to eat a burger at Burger King. XD

The amount of squish-squish chomp chomp sounds made is enough to put most people off the prospect of eating and listening to music with IEMs at the same time... =S

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #73 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesterqw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they worked fine out of the "box"
smily_headphones1.gif

but i took a few days to get used to the "something huge and hard is stuck in my ear" feeling.

So they fit more towards the snugly side than the loosely side?

Btw, hi =o

Dec 28, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #74 of 76
I got a set of the Fidelity Dual's, and immediately sent back for "re-fit".
They came back "better", but I again sent the right side back for another "tweak".
Came back "better" yet, but if I move my head or face in the slightest, the seal changes and all L/R and / or bass response changes drastically.
At this point I can say they tried their best, but with the HARD Plastic ear pieces, I imagine it would be impossible to get them to survive a light visit to the gym no matter how well they can tweak them.
Additionally, even when they are sealed to the best I can achieve, I find the midrange to be so pronounced that it takes a while to adjust to them after going from loudspeakers or Alessandro Music two's, that they are basically unusable.

They are so efficient that I find I need to completely zero all gain on all gear before even thinking about plugging them in.

In most cases, I find that I have to put the "volume" on 1 or 2, which immediately brings out any hiss, L/R discrepancies in the amp, or other undesirables that are NOT present on powered loudspeakers, nor other headphones.

At this point I will send them back if they will agree to either refund or try and work on the fit some more, but I do not understand why no one is complaining about the material used on these?

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #75 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by mu-tron-kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a set of the Fidelity Dual's, and immediately sent back for "re-fit".
They came back "better", but I again sent the right side back for another "tweak".
Came back "better" yet, but if I move my head or face in the slightest, the seal changes and all L/R and / or bass response changes drastically.
At this point I can say they tried their best, but with the HARD Plastic ear pieces, I imagine it would be impossible to get them to survive a light visit to the gym no matter how well they can tweak them.
Additionally, even when they are sealed to the best I can achieve, I find the midrange to be so pronounced that it takes a while to adjust to them after going from loudspeakers or Alessandro Music two's, that they are basically unusable.

They are so efficient that I find I need to completely zero all gain on all gear before even thinking about plugging them in.

In most cases, I find that I have to put the "volume" on 1 or 2, which immediately brings out any hiss, L/R discrepancies in the amp, or other undesirables that are NOT present on powered loudspeakers, nor other headphones.

At this point I will send them back if they will agree to either refund or try and work on the fit some more, but I do not understand why no one is complaining about the material used on these?

I am sorry you have so many problems with these, especially with the volume part. I can understand because even volume 1 on my Latte Espresso is quite loud, though not loud enough to make me pull out my Livewires.

However, I find nothing wrong with the material. Only a handful of brands(such as ACS and Sensaphonics) use silicone; everyone else, from Alien Ears, Livewires, JH, Westone, UE, they all use hard acrylic.

I suppose that if the fit is relatively good you could wear it for at least a couple of hours on end. I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back