Livewires - California Dreamin'
Mar 3, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #991 of 3,902
My Livewires arrived yesterday, about three weeks after sending the impressions
biggrin.gif

Been using ety er4p's, and the LWs really compare well.

I don't get quite as much isolation with the LWs as with the ety flange tip, but they fit is really comfortable, and after a while, you hardly notice they're in. Much more bass with the LWs, without an loss in detail or precision. The er4ps sound tinny and thin in comparison. VERY happy the LWs.

But I was surprised how efficient the LWs are -- takes almost nothing to drive them. Much more sensitive than the er4ps, which are supposed to be low impedance. Hooked up to my Cowon D2, the er4ps reach a comfortable listening level at ~25 on the 50 volume scale. For the LWs, ~12. On my Ibasso D1, I can only go to about 15% of the volume output before it gets too loud.

Is this typical for the LWs? Would it make sense to try out the LW 50 ohm cable? What effects might adding the higher impedance cable have on sound quality?

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #992 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hippocamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
...I was surprised how efficient the LWs are -- takes almost nothing to drive them. ..On my Ibasso D1, I can only go to about 15% of the volume output before it gets too loud.

Is this typical for the LWs? Would it make sense to try out the LW 50 ohm cable? What effects might adding the higher impedance cable have on sound quality?

Congratulations.

Yes, that's normal LW sensitivity - same levels here with a D1.

The 50 ohm cable, according to John Diles, is likely to affect SQ so I'd avoid it unless absolutely necessary. It's better to add resistors in line on the way into the amp rather than after the amp.

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #993 of 3,902
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I don't get quite as much isolation with the LWs as with the ety flange tip, but they fit is really comfortable, and after a while, you hardly notice they're in. Much more bass with the LWs, without an loss in detail or precision. The er4ps sound tinny and thin in comparison. VERY happy the LWs.

But I was surprised how efficient the LWs are -- takes almost nothing to drive them. Much more sensitive than the er4ps, which are supposed to be low impedance. Hooked up to my Cowon D2, the er4ps reach a comfortable listening level at ~25 on the 50 volume scale. For the LWs, ~12. On my Ibasso D1, I can only go to about 15% of the volume output before it gets too loud.

Dang, mine are coming up to 4 weeks now, but should get them this week.

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #994 of 3,902
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Congrats Hippo!

You may find after burning your Livewires in, you are able to increase the volume level setting a little more. Still good for battery life!

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #997 of 3,902
Quote:

biggrin.gif

PICS!!

Mar 3, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #999 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PICS!!

LW5.jpg

lw4.jpg

Standard Red/Blue/Black

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #1,002 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the LiveWire red and blue. It's so sleek and nice. I just wished they didn't ruin the design with that paper with your serial number and name...

If you ask them, they can do LiveWires without the paper.

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #1,003 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the LiveWire red and blue. It's so sleek and nice. I just wished they didn't ruin the design with that paper with your serial number and name...

That's exactly what I think. I asked for "NO ID TAG, PLEASE!!", when I ordered mine. Hope they listen.

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #1,004 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ant0nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they look pretty shallow, how is the fit?

Yeah, I was expecting them to go in a little deeper after seeing other people's pics. I have an unusually "upward bending ear canal" according to the audiologist, so that might have something to do with it. They stay put unless I open my mouth really wide. And they isolate pretty well (though not as well as the Ety triple-flange tip).

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #1,005 of 3,902
Quote:

LW5.jpg

lw4.jpg

Standard Red/Blue/Black

A nice pair Andrew.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back