Livewires - California Dreamin'
Jul 30, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #2,806 of 3,902
That new case looks to be exactly like the cases Westone supplies, which are excellent. I carry my UM2s in one of those all the time (in my bag), and they're still perfect even considering how I throw my bag around. They're very hard and sturdy. I don't know if they're waterproof, but I'd never want to test that anyway.

If I ever got Livewires I was planning to get a Westone case for them anyway, so that works out nicely.

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #2,807 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer to buy that homeless guy asking me for change some food
wink.gif

Or booze/drugs
tongue.gif

By the way does anyone have the original livewires white case and the pelican above? If so can you post some size comparison pics? The LW case is the perfect thickness, but needs to be a few centimetres taller as my livewires are squashed in the lid and the cables get tangled and badly shaped!

I need something the same thickness, as my d2 fits in with the crystal case on perfectly, and there is a gap in the end big enough for SD's, stylus, and LW cleaning tool, just need it taller so there is more room for the LW's!

Old pic to show how well it all fits apart from the livewires!:
P7110608.jpg

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #2,808 of 3,902
All this serious conversation in this thread... let's have some fun!

Post your EQ settings! I don't care which portable player/audio program you're using, just post what you have! If it's not a default setting; do the best you can! I'll start...

... I'm finding that the "Electronic" setting on iTunes and the iPod Classic does a good job bringing out the mids and bass without distortion! It's almost a Shure sound, except in a custom! C'mon, everyone! Let's do this!

Edit: The Loudness War strikes again! With regular, non-hard limited music, this eq setting works extremely well. However, run through a track from post-2000 and you'll get distortion like its nobody's business! I guess it's back to flat until the Lyrix comes in!

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #2,809 of 3,902
My EQ on the D2 is flat however I have Mach3Bass on 10, Sometimes BBE (treble) on 1, Stereo Enhance on 2, and SurroundSound on 4. Sounds even more bassy and loose no highs, then the SE and SS make it even more fun sounding! Gets my feet tapping on the bus!

Who has a d2 and Livewires? What volume do you use on my enhancment settings? Max i use is 7/50 is that really low or safe of too high? I dont know what is safe! I think 7 is very low, am i being over cautious, but is it too low?

Matt

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #2,810 of 3,902
TStewart422;4544959 said:
All this serious conversation in this thread... let's have some fun!

Post your EQ settings! I don't care which portable player/audio program you're using, just post what you have! If it's not a default setting; do the best you can! I'll start...

... I'm finding that the "Electronic" setting on iTunes and the iPod Classic does a good job bringing out the mids and bass without distortion! It's almost a Shure sound, except in a custom! C'mon, everyone! Let's do this!

_______
While we're on the topic of EQ and specific frequencies, I'd also like to take this opportunity to perpetuate and share (with anyone who hasn't seen it) what has been, in terms of mixing, the most useful piece of text I have come across yet:

---
I have found the following to be very helpful information when mixing live and eq'ing music to my personal tastes. I find that creating custom (I understand that many personal players dont allow this) "mixes" according to music types can get you close to what you want with very little adjustment. Knowing where the instruments you like to hear really helps you setup for your ear. Hope someone finds this helpful. I don't take credit for it - you can find this information all over the web.

FREQUENCY:
USES:

50Hz
1. Increase to add more fullness to lowest frequency instruments like foot, toms, and the bass. Peak equalization with a 1.4 Q.
2. Reduce to decrease the "boom" of the bass and will increase overtones and the recognition of bass line in the mix. This is most often used on loud bass lines like rock. Shelf equalization.

100Hz
1. Increase to add a harder bass sound to lowest frequency instruments. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0 to 1.4..
2. Increase to add fullness to guitars, snare. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0..
3. Increase to add warmth to piano and horns. Peak Equalization. For piano use a Q of 1.0. With horn use a Q of 1.4..
4. Reduce to remove boom on guitars & increase clarity. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0 to 1.4..

200Hz
1. Increase to add fullness to vocals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 0.7 to 1.0..
2. Increase to add fullness to snare and guitar ( harder sound ). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
3. Reduce to decrease muddiness of vocals or mid-range instruments. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
4. Reduce to decrease gong sound of cymbals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

400Hz
1. Increase to add clarity to bass lines especially when speakers are at low volume. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
2. Reduce to decrease "cardboard" sound of lower drums (foot and toms). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
3. Reduce to decrease ambiance on cymbals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 0.7 to 1.0. Alternately try a shelf EQ with a 320 Hz frequency setting.

800Hz
1. Increase for clarity and "punch" of bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
2. Reduce to remove "cheap" sound of guitars. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

1.5KHz
1. Increase for "clarity" and "pluck" of bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4..
2. Reduce to remove dullness of guitars. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

3KHz
1. Increase for more "pluck" of bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
2. Increase for more attack of electric / acoustic guitar. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
3. Increase for more attack on low piano parts. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
4. Increase for more clarity / hardness on voice. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
5. Reduce to increase breathy, soft sound on background vocals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
6. Reduce to disguise out-of-tune vocals / guitars. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
7. Increase for more attack on the snare or other drums. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.

5KHz
1. Increase for vocal presence. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
2. Increase low frequency drum attack ( foot / toms). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.
3. Increase for more "finger sound" on bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
4. Increase attack of piano, acoustic guitar and brightness on guitars (especially rock guitars). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
5. Reduce to make background parts more distant. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
6. Reduce to soften "thin" guitar. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

7KHz
1. Increase to add attack on low frequency drums ( more metallic sound ). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.
2. Increase to add attack to percussion instruments. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.
3. Increase on dull singer. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
4. Increase for more "finger sound" on acoustic bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
5. Reduce to decrease "s" sound on singers. Peak Equalization with a Q of 2.8. Sweep frequency slightly (between 7 kHz and 8 kHz) to find the "exact" frequency of the S
6. Increase to add sharpness to synthesizers, rock guitars, acoustic guitar and piano. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0 to 1.4.

10KHz
1. Increase to brighten vocals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
2. Increase for "light brightness" in acoustic guitar and piano. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
3. Increase for hardness on cymbals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
4. Reduce to decrease "s" sound on singers. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

15KHz
1. Increase to brighten vocals (breath sound). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
2. Increase to brighten cymbals, string instruments and flutes. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
3. Increase to make sampled synthesizer sound more real. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.

cleen version

useful frequencies for several instruments:

Voice: presence (5 kHz), sibilance (7.5 - 10 kHz), boominess (200 - 240 kHz), fullness (120 Hz)

Electric Guitar: fullness (240 Hz), bite (2.5 kHz), air / sizzle (8 kHz)

Bass Guitar: bottom (60 - 80 Hz), attack (700 - 1000 Hz), string noise (2.5 kHz)

Snare Drum: fatness (240 Hz), crispness (5 kHz)

Kick Drum: bottom (60 - 80 Hz), slap (4 kHz)

Hi Hat & Cymbals: sizzle (7.5 - 10 kHz), clank (200 Hz)

Toms: attack (5 kHz), fullness (120 - 240 Hz)

Acoustic Guitar: harshness / bite (2 kHz), boominess (120 - 200 Hz), cut (7 - 10 kHz)

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #2,812 of 3,902
Yay, after a lot of debate I finally ordered a pair of LW's!
Since my impressions have arrived to LW HQ Monday, I only have a few days/weeks of wait left. I so look forward to upgrading my portable system!
tongue.gif

However, I must express a minor disappointment. I was promised by Mr. Diles to have my order processed in a week. But since Diles is out of town, this Art guy told me that the delivery time would be the normal 3 weeks.
mad.gif

I know I shouldn't expect any special treatment, but I don't like broken promises either... Well, I'm sure it will work out just fine, it just takes away a bit from the "experience"...

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #2,814 of 3,902
Niiiiice!

Any idea when they are coming around SK? I go away on holiday in 2 weeks for 2 weeks, where i listen to music all day, and where i realised CX300's were too bassy, and then where i realised i didnt like ER6i's then took Livewires, new to me cam and laptop and reviewed and took pics of them. Want to get some good listening time and this quiet french village with no internet is my audio heaven!

Matt

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #2,817 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sound awesome, i find myself using my livewires more often now : D

That's great news, i knew we'd get you back into team livewires
tongue.gif

I'm going for a silver cable myself, i think its just what the LW need, i should have it in a few weeks.

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #2,819 of 3,902
Cool cable. Definitely looks like something for sitting down and enjoying the LW. Would be great since I prefer to sit and listen to my LW and music analytically. Doing more LW listening these days and they sound so moving with an echo indigo dj.

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #2,820 of 3,902
Getting my ear impression done tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back