Livewires - California Dreamin'
Nov 9, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #182 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by king756 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, can any UK members tell me what they got charged at good old hm customs and excise for these?

I brought some sure E2C 2 weeks ago to ride while commuting to work by motorcycle with my ipod. I can't get them to fit properly no matter how hard I try they end up popping out within seconds. Anyway looked through the phonebook and phoned up the local hearing aid place to see if they can make custom tips... which they do for £80 but for Etymotic earphones. Anyway that works out good as I have seen alot of bikers recommend the Etymotic ER6i for fitting under helmets great.

Having found this forum to do a little bit more research I now found out due to the exchange rate I can get custom fitted earphones for the same price of custom molds + some er6i's . So I am wondering if i will be better off just getting some molds of my ears made at my appointment on Monday and then sending them off to Livewires.

I'm not an audiophile and the shure's sounded good for the few seconds they where in my ears. Also the sound isolation will be good as all I get on the motorway is windblast so i'll save myself from possible tinutus.

Thanks,
Adam

Hope your not a Uk import tax inspector trying to catch us out
biggrin.gif

No charge here but just incase my name is B simpson and i live in a tent up in the mountains, and yes i have broadband way up there!!!

Seriously though Livewires are great value money get your molds done and post them off the earpiece before they decide to put the price up.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #183 of 3,902
Cheers for that, I can manage £20 if it does get checked.

It will cost £144 for er6i(£64) and the molds(£80). At $249 for the livewires it works out just under £119 + postage + possible customs so works out the same or depending if i am lucky with customs, cheaper.

I am just worried about the fit after buying the shures based on good reviews but not fitting at all. I assume though, fit wise I won't get any better as these are for my ear only.

Did you contact LiveWires though email? How did they take payment?

When I go to the hearing aid place on Monday do I just ask for molds or is their another term? They quoted £80 for custom tips, reading on here I should pay around £30 for just a mold of my ear?

Nov 9, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #184 of 3,902
Quote:

It will cost £144 for er6i(£64) and the molds(£80). At $249 for the livewires it works out just under £119 + postage + possible customs so works out the same or depending if i am lucky with customs, cheaper.

I am just worried about the fit after buying the shures based on good reviews but not fitting at all. I assume though, fit wise I won't get any better as these are for my ear only.

When I go to the hearing aid place on Monday do I just ask for molds or is their another term? They quoted £80 for custom tips, reading on here I should pay around £30 for just a mold of my ear?

Just tell them you want in-ear impressions made for custom earphones. The price varies some got it done for free, i was charged £10 so it depends on the audiologist doing them.

When you get them done go to the livewires website and download the order form, fill it in with your choice of colours & post it off to them along with your impressions.

You then phone them up and make payment via cc over the phone and in a few weeks you'll have you own custom livewires
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #185 of 3,902
Quote:

I'd also suggest downloading the UE instructions for taking impressions and follow them (i.e. open-mouth impressions). This generally provides the surest way of getting the best fitting/sealing impressions/Livewires.

Nov 9, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #186 of 3,902
Quote:

Fitwise you won't get a better job than Livewires.

When you see your audiologist you only need the "impressions" taken to the second bend of the ear. A mold is different to an impression, so make sure they understand you only need the impressions. Just keep your jaw still and in a relaxed position while the silicone sets. It takes just about ten minutes, and is painless. My audiologist did them for free...so it shouldn't cost you much.

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #187 of 3,902
Quote:

I did all through email, they let me know when my impressions arrived and i paid via paypal then.

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #188 of 3,902
Quote:

Just keep your jaw still and in a relaxed position while the silicone sets.

A friend of mine works for Beltone the hearing aid place. We did mine "open Mouth" and I can't complain about the fit.

Nov 26, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #190 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's eveyones livewires sounding after the 2 week break?

Hi Lisnalee,

My Livewires are like fine red wine. They just improve with age!
biggrin.gif

p.s. Great to see Head-Fi alive and well, well done Head-Fi!

Nov 26, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #191 of 3,902
Here's a tip for getting and maintaining a good seal with your Livewires. I posted this tip in another thread but thought it might help someone browsing here.

Insert your Livewires (The easiest way is at an angle by inserting the top tip in first, followed by the canal part). Open your mouth wide. Put pressure on your Livewires by holding the top and bottom with your forefinger and thumb, and "wiggling" the Livewire in until you feel a seal, then close your mouth.

Closing your mouth causes a slight vacuum, that helps maintain a good seal. Hope that helps.

Nov 26, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #192 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosmic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Lisnalee,

My Livewires are like fine red wine. They just improve with age!
biggrin.gif

p.s. Great to see Head-Fi alive and well, well done Head-Fi!

Same here, So much so that i am seriously thinking about canceling my pre order for the westone 3.

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #193 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosmic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a tip for getting and maintaining a good seal with your Livewires. I posted this tip in another thread but thought it might help someone browsing here.

Insert your Livewires (The easiest way is at an angle by inserting the top tip in first, followed by the canal part). Open your mouth wide. Put pressure on your Livewires by holding the top and bottom with your forefinger and thumb, and "wiggling" the Livewire in until you feel a seal, then close your mouth.

Closing your mouth causes a slight vacuum, that helps maintain a good seal. Hope that helps.

This tip (and others) helped me get the best seal possible from my original Livewires and identified that I did need a reworked set (first set too small/too easy to break the seal - details here). I still use this tip with my new set and Kosmic is right - in fact he's rapidly becoming the very best source of HeadFi info/tips on these beaut IEMs
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Fidelity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A friend of mine works for Beltone the hearing aid place. We did mine "open Mouth" and I can't complain about the fit.

After my experience of the first set being too small I also advocate using the open mouth approach rather than the relaxed mouth approach. I feel if I'd used that approach in the first place I would have saved Livewires the need to rework mine.

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #194 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This tip (and others) helped me get the best seal possible from my original Livewires and identified that I did need a reworked set (first set too small/too easy to break the seal - details here). I still use this tip with my new set and Kosmic is right - in fact he's rapidly becoming the very best source of HeadFi info/tips on these beaut IEMs
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Fidelity

After my experience of the first set being too small I also advocate using the open mouth approach rather than the relaxed mouth approach. I feel if I'd used that approach in the first place I would have saved Livewires the need to rework mine.

I did both sets of my impressions at the Beltone Hearing aid place ($15) with neutral jaw position, slight open, jaw hanging a little forward.

The first impressions were done that way with my front teeth about 3-4mm apart and the LW were too small. But the second set the front teeth were about 20mm apart (more open) and the second set of LW fit better.

Nov 27, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #195 of 3,902
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Thanks for the compliment! I enjoy being able to contribute to the Head-Fi community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back