Livewires Arrived Today - Pictures
Sep 11, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #31 of 166
Looks really nice. May have to get myself a pair to replace the ety's...

Sep 11, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #32 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got mine. These things are pretty darn cool.

How about the sound?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #33 of 166
So envy you
3000smile.gif
.Ironically,i have ordered my Livewires since 02/7 and Mr.John Diles told me that my package was sent on 02/8 via USPS to Hong Kong.I STILL CANNOT GET IT!!!!!!!
mad.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #34 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiggaD369 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do I go about making impressions? How much does it usually cost on avg.?

If you're in US, you can email or call Earpeace and they can help you locate an audiologist.
Else, use google, or ask your doctor for a reference or something.

Just the impressions itself doesn't cost much and is only a 10> minute procedure, some audiologists even do it for free, but generally they charge 15-30 USD/Euro.

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #35 of 166
I wonder if I should wait until the hiss issue is resolved. I hate bringing up my concerns with John, just because I know they are working on it, and why should I get involved when there are members out there discussing it with him. I hate hiss, but i also hate additional adapters. But I suppose that is the beauty of these detachable cables! upgradeablity!

Was wondering what you guys thought about vents in the ear pieces? I remember reading that some people do that do equalize pressure...I ask because my audiologists asked if i wanted it...pros/cons?

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #36 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the sound?
smily_headphones1.gif

Will not comment too much on these until I get used to inserting them. It is a little work. Right off the top crystal clear. Not as much bass as I am used too. Not bad though. The Lisa III makes these puppies sing!!

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #37 of 166
The hiss issue. Well if you have a crummy source with a less than perfect recording these will let you know. I played some CD's last night and I really didn't notice with the CD's I was playing. Of course I had it amped.

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #38 of 166
nice! the clear looks really great. when i got mine there were no color choices, just the standard red/blue. glad to see that they're including more accessories with these as well...i had to ask john for the case/filter cleaner since mine came with nothing back in jan.

as far as sound goes...i like the bass these things produce...warm and punchy when they are amped properly. i feel like the highs are a bit veiled, but i haven't used them with a really good amp...the hiss with my former PINT was just a bit too much than i could handle. there's no hiss when hooked up to my GS-1. i primarily use these while traveling b/c they're so comfortable...i can have them in during a whole transatlantic flight and my ears don't hurt...

for the price, these are a very good bargain, IMO. my two quibbles are the hiss problem (which i'm glad to see them addressing with a resistor of some kind) and what i feel are slightly veiled highs...but a proper amp or better source than my ipod shuffle might help alleviate those problems.

Sep 11, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #43 of 166
Just a quick impression/observation about my Livewires. Not a rigorous scientific test as some songs were ripped in ALAC and various MP3 bitrates (mostly 192 and 256 VBR). I'm in the process of re-ripping CDs in FLAC for Rockbox, and maybe a comparison will be due then. But here's just a quick note for those considering the Livewires, and I'd like to hear from those with Livewires, too.

I did a burn in by DVDR->optical digital->iBasso D1->Livewires for approximately 8 hours overnight. Detail is still there, and it sounds less harsh than when I first got them a couple days ago.

Comfort is great. Although the Right earpiece seems to be more fussy about insertion technique as far as noise isolation is concerned. Seems to be better noise isoation compared to my UE SuperFi 3.

I've been listening with my Livewires for a few hours with this set up:
iPod nano 2GB 1st gen -> ALO Cryo Silver LOD -> RSA Tomahawk.
There is no perceptible hiss before the 3 o'clock position on low gain. The Line Out + Tomahawk combination is practically hiss-free. The Tomahawk also seems to prevent clipping/distortion when using the iPod nano's EQ.

Currently, I'd describe the Livewires sound as analytical or clinical and slightly bright (but with no hint of sibilance). The Livewires excel in detail, especially in the highs - to the point of almost being harsh. The bass can be prominent (see below) and does not overpower everythingelse.

It is not the warmest sound out there and I'll see how burn in helps, so you'll have to take this into consideration. I have a Grado SR60 with hundreds of hours on it, and I'd say that the Grado sounds slightly warmer than the Livewires (with 8 hrs break in). Never thought anyone could call the Grado sound warm...

So far, Livewires have worked well for acoustic/Jazz music such as Diana Krall, Patricia Barber, Holly Cole, Alison Krauss, Rodrigo y Gabriela, etc. The re-mastered copy of Miles Davis' Kind of Blue (the remasterd CD version, not the SACD layer - haven't tried my home setup yet) has prominent hiss - a limitation of the recording. However, Muddy Waters sounds great - clear, musical and relatively noise-free, but maybe because there are more quite passages in Kind of Blue.

Pink Floyd's DSOTM sounds great. The effects come through clearly, but perhaps because it's a recording engineered for detail. One thing I've noticed is the details in acoustic instruments come through more pleasantly (clearer AND warmer) than synthesizers (some would argue synth sonic detail is irrelevant). Pink Floyd instruments sound warmer then, say, William Orbit.

Nouvelle Vague's This is Not a Love Song and I Melt With You is very revealing detail-wise. The instruments come through very clearly and fluidly but never overpowering the vocals. Similarly, Amy Winehouse's There Is No Greater Love sounds great - this track has intricate detail that comes through clearly without blurring the acoustic instruments in the background. Amy Winehouse's voice sounds a slightly thinner compared to a similar listen on the Grado SR 60 - just my subjective opinion.

The Livewires is capable of very very deep bone-shaking bass, but it seems only some recordings bring out this bass. I've tried various EQ settings (limited on the iPod, of course), and still can't seem to get consistent gratification from bass-head type music like Crystal Method or Blue Man Group CDs. Some songs shake my head and brain with bass, others don't, even though the songs to me are supposed to be bass-heavy. I was expecting more 'thump' with Dream Theater's Systematic Chaos, for instance.

For some reason, Sting (even the 1994 remasterd Best of), Toto and Boston (Third Stage is an incredible CD) recordings sound slightly thin and the bass and lower midrange/vocals seems to be weak compared to the Grado. However, Gwen Stefani, Akorn and Fergie come through with very strong, almost boomy bass.

However, everytime I'm frustrated with the Livewires' shortcomings, I do a quick A/B with my UE SuperFi 3, and the Livewires win everytime - as it should be considering an almost $200 price difference.

I've been happy so far, maybe because it's my first phones with such level of detail, but only time will tell if this is fatiguing, or if the sound will change with burn in. Will let you know. The bottom line is we can analyze an audio system to death, but what matters is how much enjoyment we get out of the set up (therefore the need for Head-Fiers to have multiple setups).

Maybe the Livewires will have better synergy with an amp other than the RSA Tomahawk. The only other amp I have is the iBasso D1, but I have to be mobile right now and can't listen with it right now. My iPod is only 2GB, so trying different CDs is a real PITA. I'll try evaluating the Livewires by PowerBook->USB->iBasso D1 netxt.

The above is just my quick, amateur(ish) observation, and individual results may vary so the Livewires' 30-day money back guarantee is great here. Note, however, the ear impressions are kept by Livewires and after the 30 days the phones have no resale value.

Maybe someone else can tell us how similar tracks sound on their Livewire / amp combination. I'm particularly interested to hear from others who have had their Livewires for a while. Is this IEM worth keeping?

Phew, I typed more than I planned to - kind of like Head-Fi where I spent more than I planned to.

Sep 11, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #44 of 166
Here is a pic. I hope it works:

Sep 11, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #45 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a pic. I hope it works:

Congrats on your new toy! Great color scheme. I just have a plain black Tomahawk. Let us know how the sound/burn in evolves. You'll really have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back