Livewires Arrived Today - Pictures
Sep 10, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #16 of 166
well these photos sealed the deal for me...audiologist appnt next tuesday...after i demolish my exams! I think I am going for clear/clear...and i might just put the name plate on but but something else on besides my name or something...

you can purchase direct through their website...just contact them...they take paypal, cc, and checks

Sep 10, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #20 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1012007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok count me out. $300 + lol

What is interesting is that this is a very good deal for a pair of custom ear monitors. Expect to pay nearly double that or more for something comparable from other companies.

Sep 10, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #21 of 166
Quote:

that is too bad about the hiss...i wonder how prominent it will be with amps

I know there's no hiss at all with the Hornet and SR-71. Haven't tried much else with the Livewires though.

Sep 10, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #22 of 166
The hiss is not the fault of the Livewires. They're just really sensitive.

This hiss is pronounced only when connected to the headphone out of the iPod Nano 1st gen, iPod 4 gen and iriver H120. There's some hiss with the 1st gen iPod shuffle. The iPod 4 gen is the worst - loud hiss and it buzzes when the hard drive spins. This is the price to pay for sensitive IEMS.

I've connected the iriver H120 via optical digital out to iBasso D1, and there's no hiss without turning the dial past 2 o'clock. Obviously I wasn't listening to anything then, or I'd be deaf by now. The problem I'm having with the iBasso D1 is that it's too loud for the Livewires. To avoid channel imbalance, I have to turn the pot to where it's a little too loud for my taste (between 8 and 9 o'clock).

Connecting the Livewires to the line OUT of the H120, there is significantly less hiss even at the same perceived volume of the headphone out. So, it really pays to have a good amp.

With either iPod -> ALO Cryo Silver LOD -> RSA Tomahawk (low gain setting), there's barely a perceptible hiss. I probably won't use the Livewires on the 4 gen iPod without the Tomahawk.

I really wish I could spend more time with the Livewires. Busy right now, but will post more about my experience later.

Sep 11, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #23 of 166
I'm also curious to see how bad the hiss is, I'm planning to use the X5L Iaudio. I don't like to listen that loud, and I do enjoy quieter ambient music, so I just hope it's ok for that! I'm sure it will be fine for my heavier music
biggrin.gif
I hope I can get away without having to order an adapter.

Sep 11, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #24 of 166
I like that whole detachable cable thing. I know thats only there because the earpieces were custom, but I sure wish that all headphones were like that. I have a pair of cheap canalphones that don't sound great but have an AWESOME fabric cable. I can't figure out how to open them up to resolder though
frown.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #25 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also curious to see how bad the hiss is, I'm planning to use the X5L Iaudio. I don't like to listen that loud, and I do enjoy quieter ambient music, so I just hope it's ok for that! I'm sure it will be fine for my heavier music
biggrin.gif
I hope I can get away without having to order an adapter.

As long as music is playing, the hiss is practically unnoticeable. I have my pair coming back from refitting with the new resistor cable and will post some impressions of the X5L + 72ohm Livewire combo if somebody doesn't beat me to it.

Sep 11, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #26 of 166
I just got mine. These things are pretty darn cool.

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #27 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as music is playing, the hiss is practically unnoticeable. I have my pair coming back from refitting with the new resistor cable and will post some impressions of the X5L + 72ohm Livewire combo if somebody doesn't beat me to it.

I thought the suggested a 50 ohm resistor? Or did you just come up with that on your own?

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #28 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the suggested a 50 ohm resistor? Or did you just come up with that on your own?

From what I've read the Livewire is rated at 22ohm, so that plus the 50ohm cable should equal 72, unless I'm wrong about the Livewire's rating.

Edit: Source of original rating here.

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #29 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The hiss is not the fault of the Livewires. They're just really sensitive.

This hiss is pronounced only when connected to the headphone out of the iPod Nano 1st gen, iPod 4 gen and iriver H120. There's some hiss with the 1st gen iPod shuffle. The iPod 4 gen is the worst - loud hiss and it buzzes when the hard drive spins. This is the price to pay for sensitive IEMS.

Thanks for making that point. High sensitivity is a bonus for me. I'm looking forward to hearing the Livewires through my flash based iRiver Clix2. I don't think hiss will be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back