LittleDot MKIII, MKiV, or Bottlehead Crack?
Dec 12, 2013 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

vegeto626

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I am looking into start in the world of tube amps and I am considering the LD MKIII (ebay, 235 from china), MKIV (ebay, $329 from china) and the Bottlehead Crack ($279).

Current Equipment:
Sennheiser HD 202/280pro/595/650
UE Super.fi 5 pro
Koss KSC75
Monoprice IEM's

Fiio E10/E17

I am considering these for their price ($200-$350) and for my new HD650's. I have read the suggestion of the Bottlehead Crack just about on every thread when it comes to the HD6xx's, but I am also looking for something more versatile that I can use with my other gear and new cans in the future. The concern here is the OTL part of the Crack, which I am not sure how the Littledots differ and the fact that he Littledots have a preamp function (again, not sure what this means, but more is better right?). 

My wallet might be afraid so I might just go with the MKIII, but will they drive the 650's sufficiently and pleasingly?

Edit: I have not done any DIY work on amps or anything, but I have on other electronics, so I have the equipment to build the Crack. 

I appreciate anyone's input!

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 3
  Hi everyone, I am looking into start in the world of tube amps and I am considering the LD MKIII (ebay, 235 from china), MKIV (ebay, $329 from china) and the Bottlehead Crack ($279).

Current Equipment:
Sennheiser HD 202/280pro/595/650
UE Super.fi 5 pro
Koss KSC75
Monoprice IEM's

Fiio E10/E17

I am considering these for their price ($200-$350) and for my new HD650's. I have read the suggestion of the Bottlehead Crack just about on every thread when it comes to the HD6xx's, but I am also looking for something more versatile that I can use with my other gear and new cans in the future. The concern here is the OTL part of the Crack, which I am not sure how the Littledots differ and the fact that he Littledots have a preamp function (again, not sure what this means, but more is better right?). 

My wallet might be afraid so I might just go with the MKIII, but will they drive the 650's sufficiently and pleasingly?

Edit: I have not done any DIY work on amps or anything, but I have on other electronics, so I have the equipment to build the Crack. 

I appreciate anyone's input!

If you want versatility first, OTL is the polar opposite of what you want since it limits the types of headphone you can use it with. You might want to go SS or hybrid instead. However, if you only consider the HD650 like I did, an OTL amp like the Valhalla for exemple makes for a really pleasing system. I your case, I would go with a good SS. Sadly, in your price range, the options are limited...

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 3
the Little Dot is fine for me, as i use a HD650 and a HM5 on it and both are driven adequatly good, being that the HM5 has lower impedance than the HD650.I use Gain setting 3 on the LD. I also have Planars that run on the LD but then i have to turn the volume really up.
The LD MKIII is said to be the sweet spot of the LDs not having the better tubes as the MKIV for example but being nearly just as good as the MKIV. But you can always go tube rolling later.
Be sure to buy from Davidzhezhe at Ebay because of warranty issues for him as original seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back