Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Nov 5, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #3,812 of 13,432
Hi Kestovitutus,

For a comparison of the different power tubes for the Little Dot please go to page 191 and read post #2860.

I think 6 different power tubes are  being compared and the differences are explained.

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #3,813 of 13,432
Tried to understand what kind of tube the 6E6P-DRY/DRU is. Here are a link to specs but in Russian that google translate does not tackle. (Comments have been translated)

Since this is another super quality DR tube it might merit investigation. One source selling them says that they can be wired for triode use.

Would like to hear from the people who understand the specs if it is suitable for the Little Dot - thanks.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://audio-db.info/AudioDB/BazaPraktiki/Usilenie/Lampy/Alfavit/6Je/6Je5P&prev=/search%3Fq%3D6E6P-DRY/DRU%2Bspecifications%26start%3D10%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3Dm1F%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:xf_eek:fficial%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D480

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #3,814 of 13,432
At the risk of being redundant...I have looked through this thread and not found an answer, so I figured I would give it a shot and see if anyone has thoughts. 
I have the Little Dot MK III and I'm currently using the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV, which I really like overall (although to be honest I don't have much to compare it to). 
My only complaint is there are a few ranges of treble where it sounds rather harsh to my ears, particularly with a few rock artists (for example an aggressive hi-hat can sound quite painful). 
I'm wondering if you have a recommendation on tubes that are perhaps a little softer in the treble area? I was looking at the Mullard M8161 ... any thoughts on that one?
Thanks!

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #3,815 of 13,432
Tried to understand what kind of tube the 6E6P-DRY/DRU is. Here are a link to specs but in Russian that google translate does not tackle. (Comments have been translated)

Since this is another super quality DR tube it might merit investigation. One source selling them says that they can be wired for triode use.

Would like to hear from the people who understand the specs if it is suitable for the Little Dot - thanks.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://audio-db.info/AudioDB/BazaPraktiki/Usilenie/Lampy/Alfavit/6Je/6Je5P&prev=/search%3Fq%3D6E6P-DRY/DRU%2Bspecifications%26start%3D10%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3Dm1F%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:xf_eek:fficial%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D480

I am pretty sure that 6E5P and 6E6P are NOT compatible.

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #3,816 of 13,432
Well the 12AX7 is junk, there is a channel missing. You give it a tap and the channel pops back in for a moment then cuts out again.

Here is the test rig, I figured I better check it out before it gets armored all in shiny copper. 
biggrin.gif

DIY B7G plugs from a piece of lexan cut to size so they will slip up inside a 1/2" coupler.

Since the 12AX7 was junk I switched the wiring for this ECC85 and it works like a charm, treble sharp enough to shave with but it works. Considering it is an FM tuner tube I really don't think it has a decent audio quality.

A closeup of the DIY plugs.

Phillips MiniWatt ECC85 made in Holland, should be relabeled to "Mach 3 by Gillette"
biggrin.gif

I just need to find some 6DJ8's or Tesla E88CC's on the cheap...

Well I've reached where you all were a few months back, if you all don't mind I'll just tag along at the back of the bus.
beerchug.gif

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #3,817 of 13,432
  Well the 12AX7 is junk, there is a channel missing. You give it a tap and the channel pops back in for a moment then cuts out again.

Here is the test rig, I figured I better check it out before it gets armored all in shiny copper. 
biggrin.gif

DIY B7G plugs from a piece of lexan cut to size so they will slip up inside a 1/2" coupler.

Since the 12AX7 was junk I switched the wiring for this ECC85 and it works like a charm, treble sharp enough to shave with but it works. Considering it is an FM tuner tube I really don't think it has a decent audio quality.

A closeup of the DIY plugs.

Phillips MiniWatt ECC85 made in Holland, should be relabeled to "Mach 3 by Gillette"
biggrin.gif

I just need to find some 6DJ8's or Tesla E88CC's on the cheap...

Well I've reached where you all were a few months back, if you all don't mind I'll just tag along at the back of the bus.
beerchug.gif

Built to last nice 

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #3,818 of 13,432
Hi mAurelius,

Buy a pair of EI 6HM5 tubes that do not require any modifications and use E95 setting. These tubes beat the other ones you mentioned  + you get a beautiful safe fireworks display every time you turn them on.

Submit a best offer for $5 each and you get this pair for $10 with free shipping (takes about 3 weeks to the US).

Read post #3545 on page 237.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #3,819 of 13,432
  Hi mAurelius,

Buy a pair of EI 6HM5 tubes that do not require any modifications and use E95 setting. These tubes beat the other ones you mentioned  + you get a beautiful safe fireworks display every time you turn them on.

Submit a best offer for $5 each and you get this pair for $10 with free shipping (takes about 3 weeks to the US).

Well shoot, for 10 bucks it's worth a shot! The "fireworks display" sounds a little scary, but I do see a lot of other good comments on this thread about them. I'll give it a shot. How is the treble on these, would you say it's less "harsh" than some of the other tubes? 

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #3,820 of 13,432

Maybe a stupid question (I'm a noob in soldering): is there a place on eBay where I can buy a bunch of these nice multicolored short copper wires ? So far I've found only "breadboard wires", but it seems they are thick (not strended) and probably not even copper ones. Need them at reasonable price with shipping to Europe. Thanks

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #3,821 of 13,432
Hi mAurelius,

I agree wholeheartedly I have tried all the a+ tubes in this thread and these are the easiest and my current reference tube.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #3,822 of 13,432
It's funny how looking at this mod without the copper parts, it strangely reminds me of my "flying 12AT7" experiment that sparked the whole thing lol! Looking forward to seeing the final version; meanwhile I'm still trying to find the best way to make some tamer adapters for each socket on the IV SE...

Speaking of 12V tubes, I've put a few very nice 12AX7 up for sale, since I just can't afford to keep stashes and stashes of premium tubes...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/689111/telefunken-12ax7-ecc83-tubes-1-ribbed-plates-2-smooth-plates

These are some of the best -actual- 12AX7/ECC83 you can get, and they really sound great on our amps. The EI especially have tremendous value, but the Telefunken tube lives up to its reputation.

Back to ebay to shop some more now :wink: .

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #3,824 of 13,432
Hi mA,

The Yugo 6HM5 is a sweet tube and the treble is not harsh at all (again YMML - tubes react differently to different equipment) but definitively a big improvement over the Voskhods. Remember that the Voskhods take a very long time to burn in (110-120 hours) and they mellow.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #3,825 of 13,432

What kind of socket are you using? And how are you connecting the wires to it? 

Looks like bullet type connector but with heat shrinked  tubing. wires look to be bigger than gauge  22 maybe 16 gauge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back