Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Sep 15, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #2,956 of 13,434
  I was brought up that if you did not get an A don't bother to show your test results. I too got Normal on the test LOL.

Those were the days nightmarish actually  trying to learn my multiplication tables never got A'S i wonder why.I averaged 70% in both test. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #2,957 of 13,434
Sep 15, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #2,958 of 13,434
The first one was a little confusing at first till I understood what he was looking for... 75% and 80% here.

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #2,959 of 13,434

80 and 82 respectively!  (that's kinda like an A?!)

Thats great, found that test on the Burson Conductor thread from dan. gheorghe he got 100% on first test and 96% very bright people on headfi, and who benefits from that ALL OF US.Thats great!

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #2,960 of 13,434
  The first one was a little confusing at first till I understood what he was looking for... 75% and 80% here.

Great ,It was confusing didnt expect that also

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #2,961 of 13,434
I got my LD mk III 7 days ago and i love the sound of it.
First 3 days i've listened to it i was disapointed how i need to turned the volume knob up to 80 mark just to have a comfortable listening level.
Then i tried burning it in for 4 days,i leaved it on for 8 hours then turned it off .leaved it off for few hours then turn it back on for another 8 hours i did these for 4 days.
Today i decided to start listening to it again and i noticed that as soon as i turned the volume knob it play louder than before i set it to 40 mark and it's loud enough for me.
Is these normal?

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #2,962 of 13,434
  I got my LD mk III 7 days ago and i love the sound of it.
First 3 days i've listened to it i was disapointed how i need to turned the volume knob up to 80 mark just to have a comfortable listening level.
Then i tried burning it in for 4 days,i leaved it on for 8 hours then turned it off .leaved it off for few hours then turn it back on for another 8 hours i did these for 4 days.
Today i decided to start listening to it again and i noticed that as soon as i turned the volume knob it play louder than before i set it to 40 mark and it's loud enough for me.
Is these normal?

Whith my 300 ohms senns hd800 with gain switches off 25 is pretty loud with hi res files and 30 with regular recordings your DT 880 are 600 ohms .Thats weird and you didnt change the gain switches under!

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #2,963 of 13,434
Hi All,

After burning in the 6AV6 tubes with the boxes on top of the mica for 25 hours I have completely changed my mind about them. These tubes now sound terrific without any harshness in the treble and with great powerful bass. Voices are natural and the sound stage and 3D holographic imaging is super. This is how it looks graphically:

o-RAINBOW-MOUNTAINS-900.jpg

Is this image real? Yes - the Rainbow Mountains In China's Danxia Landform Geological Park Are Very, Very Real. Minerals in the ground account for the rainbow of colors.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #2,964 of 13,434
I found it to be extremely sibilant, i would try the AD797 or AD823.

I am very comfortable in saying that this chip is not inherently sibilant. The LME49990 is a very high quality audio op amp that can often be found in high-end audio equipment. However, that said, these chips do not operate in a vacuum. For best results, an op amp should be implemented into a circuit specifically designed for it. When a chip is simply rolled into an existing circuit, it may well perform below its potential. If it is biased incorrectly, it may oscillate and do all kinds of nasty things. Further, sibilance may in fact be due to a mismatch between other components in the audio system, such as driver tubes and headphones, and not the op amp at all.

I have the LME49990 installed in my LD1+ and the only time I hear sibilance on my HE-300s is when the recording itself is sibilant. (And I have rolled a rather large variety of driver tubes, including triodes, pentodes and heptodes into this amp.)

Again, this is a top-tier op amp, and if the OP wants neutral, this should be on his short list. And in the end, the only way to know if it will be good fit in any given system is to buy it and give it a try.

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #2,967 of 13,434

Those tubes you mention are CGE 6DT6A Japan "made to CGE specifications" right? I just got the same tubes in the mail, and threw them on the amp for a thorough burn-in; so I'm interested in your experience with them!

First impressions are favorable; indeed the bass roars with these! Too many of the recent tubes I tried either smeared mid-bass and bass or just left it out of the picture entirely.

EF92'd, these 6DT6A are very nice out of the box: surprisingly musical and toe-tapping from the start, delicious and pretty tactile bass, very nice mids that beautify voices. Hopefully they'll stay that way after 20 hours, and just tighten up. Still, finally having a bit of low-mids and bass is a nice change!

Why EF92 setting you say? (Please don't hit me lol) Because it's what sounded the best on the GE Canada-made 6DT6A I tried, for one. And also because it is one the two solutions that intuitively make sense with this tube type. I see no reason to float grid 3 with these tubes, so plain EF95 is bleh. Strapping the two control grids together (1-7) is OK but the tube doesn't require it to work well, so meh, but it's worth a try. Now, Strapping the suppressor/2nd control grid (grid 3) to the cathode (2-7) is pretty logical, but grid 3 on these tubes is pretty weird and like a tightly woven suppressor, so I don't know how it behaves 2-7'd with grid 2 strapped to the anode; but it makes sense. Finally, Strapping grid 3 to the anode and grid 2 (EF92) makes sense since you get a textbook triode-strapped pentode -dual control or not, whatever. That setting sounds the best to me so far.

Yeah, call me too scholar or Manichean if you want, and there's no harm in testing things, but some settings just don't make much sense... Floating grid 3 on a pentode is just kind of purposeless imho...

I've been listening to these GE 6DT6A tubes for a few days now and I am thinking that I really need to try them on EF92 (I'm constitutionally disinclined to open up the amp and fiddle with the switches - simple laziness!).  I'm listening with a pair of RS1is, and while impressed with the bass at first, I am finding that the tubes are rather too trebly in this setting (which is sonic death with these headphones).  In addition, it just seems as though the balance is not quite right... I normally steer fairly clear of EQing, but I have been strongly tempted the last couple of nights.  I'm wondering whether the EF92 setting would make them seem more balanced and less trebly.

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #2,968 of 13,434

I've been listening to these GE 6DT6A tubes for a few days now and I am thinking that I really need to try them on EF92 (I'm constitutionally disinclined to open up the amp and fiddle with the switches - simple laziness!).  I'm listening with a pair of RS1is, and while impressed with the bass at first, I am finding that the tubes are rather too trebly in this setting (which is sonic death with these headphones).  In addition, it just seems as though the balance is not quite right... I normally steer fairly clear of EQing, but I have been strongly tempted the last couple of nights.  I'm wondering whether the EF92 setting would make them seem more balanced and less trebly.

All I can tell you is that these are the most pleasant -i.e. toe-tapping- tubes I've tested since I started rolling again a couple of weeks ago; and a solid part of that pleasantness is because they are balanced imo. EF92'd that is. As Daft Punk would say, these tubes just "bring life back to music"!

No need to open up the amp to change jumpers, you just need to get in there through the holes underneath the chassis. The jumpers are annoying to change but the change is often worth it just for experiment's sake.

Worst case, you can always just 6-7 strap the sockets... Though it takes about as much effort making the appropriate wires as changing the jumpers really...

Happy jumper changing at any rate...

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #2,969 of 13,434

All I can tell you is that these are the most pleasant -i.e. toe-tapping- tubes I've tested since I started rolling again a couple of weeks ago; and a solid part of that pleasantness is because they are balanced imo. EF92'd that is. As Daft Punk would say, these tubes just "bring life back to music"!

No need to open up the amp to change jumpers, you just need to get in there through the holes underneath the chassis. The jumpers are annoying to change but the change is often worth it just for experiment's sake.

Worst case, you can always just 6-7 strap the sockets... Though it takes about as much effort making the appropriate wires as changing the jumpers really...

Happy jumper changing at any rate...

That's me fiddling around inside the amp then tonight! :)  A dealer close to me has a pair of Brimars that run in EF92 so I might purchase those as well while I am experimenting...

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #2,970 of 13,434
Today i want to talk about a pair of Jan GE 6AV6 5960, year 1973 ( cutted pin 5 and 6 ), EF92.

I have bought from NOS tube, for a price of 4 $ for a tube.

Sounds very well, as some other brands tryed before, detailed and transparent, voices forward and on your face, only a little harsh on hights, very good soundstage and separation of musical instruments, i have tried only a half hour ago, so passing the time and burning can change of course the sound.
Bass like this, never heard before, seems come from the deep and 3D.

On my ears have a thing that only people that have Grado headphones can understand :  electric and acoustic guitar are unique, and improve the grado sound.
May be that being a novice, other people say that is not true, but i think that for 4 $ each  if someone want to give a chance to this cheap tubes, may have a good surprise, in special mode if you have a Grado or Alessandro headphones.

Tomorrow i will make a photo, there are 2 Printing in different colors, grey and green..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back