Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Sep 14, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #2,941 of 13,432
Hi Gibosi,

Thanks for the analysis of the 6AV6 tubes and "thinking out of the box."  As you may recall I did not like the 6AV6 tubes initially because of the strange sound stage where background instruments were brought to the front, something that apparently is exacerbated when listening through speakers.

After your observation that the 6AV6 tubes with a box on top of the mica sounded better I went back to my pile of discarded tubes and fished out the five single 6AV6 tubes that I have. (At one point I thought I could determine which one was the best sounding by listening to a good mono recording and alternating between channels and thus evaluating two tubes at once. This did not work, perhaps because there is some kind of synergistic effect between the two channels, even though the channels are totally separate.)

Of the five tubes (three Sylvania, one RCA and one Tung Sol), two had the metal box on top of the mica. One is a Sylvania side getter and one a Tung Sol top getter. Changed the jumpers to EF92 ( don't cherish this operation) and popped the tubes in. First impression too much treble, but was able to tame it by turning down the treble all the way.

Anyhow, the sound stage is normally sounding with the instruments where they are supposed to be. The treble is extremely detailed and clear. The bass is quite strong. Wide sound stage with very good 3D imaging and very good detail overall. The mid range has too much treble and voices sound nasal. However, the presentation is very analytical and less musical. It is interesting to listen to and I could see how somebody would like this type of sound. It is like studio monitor speakers that are used for evaluating recordings - all the detail is there, like holding a magnifying glass to the music.

Personally, the toe tapping index is a meager 1 by me, and I need a different more musical sound with real good slam in the bass to be happy. Anyhow, for now I'll leave them in and see if I can get more used to them.

Edit: Starts to sound better. Don't know if the LD needs time to adjust or if it is me, but the treble got less sharp, and I am enjoying the holistic 3D sound stage with the great details. All right, so you could argue that I don't have a real pair of tubes, which is true. However, several posts mentioned that the 6AV6 tubes sound very similar. In this case the Sylvania plays louder (as is often the case with Sylvania tubes in my experience). I moved my balance control a little to get the center instruments in the middle and everything is swell...Voices are more natural.  TT index moved up to 3.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #2,942 of 13,432
Originally Posted by mordy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

....Anyhow, the sound stage is normally sounding with the instruments where they are supposed to be. The treble is extremely detailed and clear. The bass is quite strong. Wide sound stage with very good 3D imaging and very good detail overall. The mid range has too much treble and voices sound nasal. However, the presentation is very analytical and less musical. It is interesting to listen to and I could see how somebody would like this type of sound. It is like studio monitor speakers that are used for evaluating recordings - all the detail is there, like holding a magnifying glass to the music.

Personally, the toe tapping index is a meager 1 by me, and I need a different more musical sound with real good slam in the bass to be happy. Anyhow, for now I'll leave them in and see if I can get more used to them.

Edit: Starts to sound better. Don't know if the LD needs time to adjust or if it is me, but the treble got less sharp, and I am enjoying the holistic 3D sound stage with the great details. All right, so you could argue that I don't have a real pair of tubes, which is true. However, several posts mentioned that the 6AV6 tubes sound very similar. In this case the Sylvania plays louder (as is often the case with Sylvania tubes in my experience). I moved my balance control a little to get the center instruments in the middle and everything is swell...Voices are more natural.  TT index moved up to 3.

With your Sylvania/Tung-Sol "pair", you are in uncharted territory! I don't own a similar pair, so I have no idea how they sound. lol  

While the 6AV6 are similar, they are not identical. For example, among the American brands I possess, the RCA are noticeably brighter and more forward than the GE. And I would say that the Sylvania are somewhere in between. (And the European brands are also quite different from one another.)

But yes, I generally agree with your observations. There is a level of clarity and transparency that seems to allow one to have the sensation of peering into a holistic 3D sound stage with a magnifying glass. The treble on the GEs is very detailed and clear, but not at all peaky, and vocals seem somewhat sweet and warm, but still quite natural. So while the bass could have a bit more slam and their musicality is a bit lacking compared to the best pentodes/heptodes, the GEs continue to remain my go-to tubes.

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #2,943 of 13,432
Hi Gibosi,

Always makes me feel good when somebody agrees with me - lol. Truth is that one of the things I like about this forum is the honesty of the reviews, and the tolerance of others if they don't agree.

Anyhow, I am trying to quantify in my mind what I like and don't like about my 6AV6 configuration. Have you seen black and white photographs with a very high contrast? Everything is there, but it is a bit unnatural. Interesting, plenty to look at, but ultimately lacking something, although, as said, I can readily understand people who like this. The picture below sums it up:
Tons of detail, gobs of information, everything is there, but....

depositphotos_8247713-Black-and-white-love-for-music-concept-illustration-background.jpg

Trying to picture what my RCA and Raytheon (Japanese) Dtox tubes sound like:
Beautiful, warm, expansive, involving and
vivid-colorful-flowers.jpg

toe tapping:
baby+toe+tapping.jpg

Have fun!

Edit: After having cooked the tubes another 14 hours, the bass is tightening up, and the treble is getting less harsh. Looks promising.....The listening experience is improved with voices more natural, but don't understand why the (subconscious) TT index is not moving up beyond 3.

Sep 15, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #2,944 of 13,432
Sep 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #2,945 of 13,432

I find the LME49990 to be a very neutral op amp:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUAL-SOIC-LME49990-DIP8-ADAPTER/190897295927?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D17396%26meid%3D1289909108227033573%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D8093%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D190888281070%26

I found it to be extremely sibilant, i would try the AD797 or AD823.

Sep 15, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2,948 of 13,432
  Did not get that good test results. Chalk it up to old age....

Test is a lot of fun though.....

The first test is  not easy at all never tought of music like that before .

Sep 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #2,949 of 13,432

I found it to be extremely sibilant, i would try the AD797 or AD823.

it can be with some tubes and sources... I really liked it when it sounded good BUT it seemed so picky... I prefer the OPA627AP personally... or the OPA2107AP if you're looking to save a bit. My personal preferences lean to the warm side of neutral.

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #2,951 of 13,432
  I was brought up that if you did not get an A don't bother to show your test results. I too got Normal on the test LOL.

80 and 82 respectively!  (that's kinda like an A?!)

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #2,953 of 13,432

Users who are viewing this thread

Back