Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Aug 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #2,206 of 13,434
Quote:
Here is a link to an rarely found web site (you probably go on this web site every day) about the differences between the Little Dot MKIII and MKIV.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413322/little-dot-mk-iii-vs-mk-iv

Reading through the posts Dr. Mordicci's diagnosis is: The MKIII and IV are almost identical twins, but IV wears more expensive clothes. Seriously, the main difference seems to be the tube complement which accounts for the difference/upgrade in sound.

In other words, a MKIII amp with MIV tubes may sound the same. It is true that there are some changes in the internal components, but I have not found any post stating that there is a difference in sound because of this internal upgrade.

This is my humble opinion. As always, I am open to different views.

(BTW, one post says that David will take $10 off the price if you order via his email.)

its true haha originally its 409 USD but when i emailed him he quoted me 399USD for the mkiv SE

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #2,207 of 13,434
Didn't know that the warranty was for two years on the SE. Remember reading about somebody who had a Little Dot for several (5?) years. It caught fire, and they repaired it free of charge. Otherwise very few repair problems.

Re the tubes: my manual states that the tubes are guaranteed not DOA and then guaranteed for three months.

Just read through a blog on Head Fi about a chap who had trouble with his SE. The blog is not worth reading, except for this gem from the talented designer of the Little Dot amps, Sword Yang. It is very reassuring: 

"Sorry, our products give you an increase of trouble!

Please contact as soon as David, we are still able to provide you with a replacement new machine services, and from the postage paid by us."

(He is definitively much better on designing amps than knowing English! Nice first name as well!)

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2,208 of 13,434
can someone enlighten me as to why low impedance headphones need higher gain when they have higher volume than the high impedance headphones?

I have a fostex t50rp about 50ohms would that count as low or medium?

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #2,209 of 13,434
Here is a link to a forum on headphone impedance. I did not understand it (heptoad fatigue), but maybe it is of value to you.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #2,210 of 13,434
can someone enlighten me as to why low impedance headphones need higher gain when they have higher volume than the high impedance headphones?

It's because an OTL amp outputs more voltage than amps. Low impedance needs more amps. Since OTL amps are lacking in that department, higher gain supplements that, and gets you higher volume.

My knowledge is pretty basic, someone can chime in to correct me if that's off at all.

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #2,211 of 13,434
Quote:

50 is still rather low for the LD MKIII / IV. see also these specs from the LD-page, which are per channel :

1. Power Output:
  2. 350 mW @ 300/600 ohm
  3. 300 mW @ 120 ohm
  4. 100 mW @ 32 ohm
  5. Variable Gain: 3,4,5, or 10x
  6. Recommended Load Impedance: 32 ohm~600 ohm

The LD MKIII / IV really loves phones with 120 ohm and more.
At 98 dB/mW, the Fostex are reasonably sensitive. From a technical side, these would be more suitable than for example the Hifiman HE-500 (38 ohm, 89 dB/mW). Athough the LD MKIII and IV are surely not the perfect amps for the HE-500, these phones still sound good on it. So, why not your Fostex, which are easier to drive than these?

PS: I generally use 10 x gain with my headphones.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Experimental LDology:

This sounds a bit weird but here it goes: Have you ever (accidentally maybe) tried to INput your audio signal via the OUT (MKIII / MKIV)? Now, you either scratch your head or laugh...
I have just done that and was quite positively surprised... Sounds more transparent, cleaner, less relaxed. This bypasses the volume control, which is possibly one of the reasons why it sounds differently and also means that one needs another way to control the volume (DAC, media player). Give it a go.

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #2,214 of 13,434
Quote:

50 is still rather low for the LD MKIII / IV. see also these specs from the LD-page, which are per channel :

1. Power Output:
  2. 350 mW @ 300/600 ohm
  3. 300 mW @ 120 ohm
  4. 100 mW @ 32 ohm
  5. Variable Gain: 3,4,5, or 10x
  6. Recommended Load Impedance: 32 ohm~600 ohm

The LD MKIII / IV really loves phones with 120 ohm and more.
At 98 dB/mW, the Fostex are reasonably sensitive. From a technical side, these would be more suitable than for example the Hifiman HE-500 (38 ohm, 89 dB/mW). Athough the LD MKIII and IV are surely not the perfect amps for the HE-500, these phones still sound good on it. So, why not your Fostex, which are easier to drive than these?

PS: I generally use 10 x gain with my headphones.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Experimental LDology:

This sounds a bit weird but here it goes: Have you ever (accidentally maybe) tried to INput your audio signal via the OUT (MKIII / MKIV)? Now, you either scratch your head or laugh...
I have just done that and was quite positively surprised... Sounds more transparent, cleaner, less relaxed. This bypasses the volume control, which is possibly one of the reasons why it sounds differently and also means that one needs another way to control the volume (DAC, media player). Give it a go.

Yes its true does sound cleaner for the volume i control it via media player 

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #2,215 of 13,434
Just a quick update regarding the Sylvania 6HZ6. After about 25 hours of burn-in, I did a quick A/B with the Sylvania 6CS6. I found them to be very similar to the point that sometimes I wasn't sure which tube I was listening to. This strong similarity reinforces my speculation that the 6HZ6 are simply a pentode version of the 6CS6. So if you are looking for a Sylvania 6CS6, these are often even cheaper. :)

I should add that I have yet to try this tube unstrapped EF91/92 or strapped. Will try these configurations later as I now have the GE 6HZ6 burning in. Curious to learn how these will sound....

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #2,217 of 13,434
Since it appears that the 6HZ6 and 6DT6 were made only in America and Japan, these will likely be harder to find, and perhaps more expensive in the UK and Europe. Therefore, I recommend that you look for EH90/6CS6 instead. There are some very fine EH90 available from Telefunken, Philips/Mullard and other European manufacturers. I have a pair of Lorenz EH90 with ribbed plates on their way to me from Germany, and I am looking forward to learning how they sound.

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #2,218 of 13,434
Adam2211---1--www.chelmervalve.co.uk---2--www.crickewoodelectronics.com--3--billington export ltd-Sussex--4--colomor electronics  Ltd  London--5--RS components--www. RScomponents.co.uk--there is more if you need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back