Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Aug 8, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #2,236 of 13,438
Oh dear, one of the tubes I bought as a matched pair (the 6H6P-I power tubes) causes a slight channel imbalance. Contacted Yen Audio about this issue.

Do you think they'll ask me to send the pair back or just the offending tube?

I wouldn't buy from them in the first place. Overpriced and a sketchy history. As you've unfortunately found, paying their price premium for matched and verified tubes doesn't gain much. Matched doesn't matter with this amp. In fact many of us run tubes that have different internal structures but are still the same tube type from the same manufacturers.

As for whether they'll have you send the tube back I have no idea. Given the price of those tubes I assume they'll ask for the offending tube back.

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #2,239 of 13,438
Quote:
actually an SE version cost 409$ IIRC and im getting it for 305$ without the tubes.

Thanks for the infos interesting 

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #2,240 of 13,438
Quote:
I'm thinking of buying a little dot 1+. What are the best non EF95, EF91 and EF92 tubes available for cheap? Thanks for the help. Really informative thread by the way.

Everyone's ears and preferred sound signature are different, so this is always a difficult question to answer.... But off the top of my head, I would recommend the Tung-Sol 6485/6AH6W (halo getters), E91H/6687 (brand doesn't matter as they were all made in the Heerlen, Holland factory), Philips/Mullard/Valvo EH90 and finally Lorenz EBC91.

There are many other very good tubes, but to paraphrase Mordy, tubes are like ice cream. The only way to discover your favorite flavors is to try them all! And I would suggest that you can find some real gems among the heptodes, 6BE6/EK90, 6BY6/5915 and 6CS6/EH90, and the triodes, 6AT6/EBC90 and 6AV6/EBC91.

When you finally get your amp and tubes, please come back and let us know what you think.

Cheers

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #2,244 of 13,438
Quote:
Im considering either the little dot 1+ or the Aune t1. Could anyone provide any comparisons? Thanks

I have no experience with the Aune t1....

From the Aune website, it appears that it is a combination DAC/amp, whereas you will need a separate DAC with the 1+. Therefore, in my mind, they are not really comparable products. Further, just considering that both use vacuum tubes, the Aune uses double triode tubes only, whereas, the 1+ can use triodes, pentodes and heptodes, so potential tube rolling is much more limited in the Aune.

Perhaps someone else can comment further....

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #2,245 of 13,438
Quote:
I wouldn't buy from them in the first place. Overpriced and a sketchy history. As you've unfortunately found, paying their price premium for matched and verified tubes doesn't gain much. Matched doesn't matter with this amp. In fact many of us run tubes that have different internal structures but are still the same tube type from the same manufacturers.

As for whether they'll have you send the tube back I have no idea. Given the price of those tubes I assume they'll ask for the offending tube back.

Well lesson learned, so the next time I'll tube roll I'll just scour for cheap deals I guess.

Got the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV at least. A fellow Head-Fi'er sent me two pairs of them and so far so good. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #2,246 of 13,438
what was the adapter setting to never have to use EF91 setting for 6AV6?

I want to dive into Triodes finally and i really hate messing with those jumpers.

jump pins 5-6?

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #2,247 of 13,438
I feel that davidzhezhe communication is really slow...I've waited an entire day for a respond than I replied him the same minute I got the response and I have to wait until tomorrow for another respond. Does he only open his email once a day for few minutes? I've already requested twice for him to send me the invoice for the little dot and its been 3 days, he responded to my email but didn't send me the invoice...

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #2,248 of 13,438
Quote:
what was the adapter setting to never have to use EF91 setting for 6AV6?

I want to dive into Triodes finally and i really hate messing with those jumpers.

jump pins 5-6?

EF-95 TO EF91- 92 STRAP  6-7 i was told also 5-7 that the setting i was using actually for EF91-92  its on page 77 right below 6hz6,6dt6 tubes

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #2,249 of 13,438
EF-95 TO EF91- 92 STRAP  6-7 i was told also 5-7 that the setting i was using actually for EF91-92  its on page 77 right below 6hz6,6dt6 tubes

Any recommendations on specific brands and models?

I was looking into some Tung Sol's of the 6AV6.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #2,250 of 13,438
Quote:
Any recommendations on specific brands and models?

I was looking into some Tung Sol's of the 6AV6.

With triodes, it is critical that pins 5 and 7 are tied together in order to get the anode connected properly. As the LD already ties 5 and 6 together on the circuit board, tying 6 and 7 should work fine. However, I tend to be a bit cautious, so I always tie 5 and 7 when using triodes.

I haven't heard the Tung Sol 6AV6, but when Mordy auditioned a bunch of triodes, he reported that the Tung Sol was sub-par. Personally, of the American brands, I prefer the RCA 6AV6. Of the European brands, I briefly reviewed a number of them here on page 134, post 2004.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back