Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Aug 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #2,221 of 13,438
Remember seeing a post that was about buying a Littledot mk4 whitout the tubes is $309.00 was it $50.00 cheaper.And finally its  not worth it to buy MK4SE only difference is the tubes really ,right .the spec. look the same. What do you think.

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #2,222 of 13,438
Hi,

Burning in a set of RCA 5915 tubes. Everything sounds good, but I lost my bearings in comparing them to other heptodes. Everything just sounds great, be it Siem EH90, Tesla 6H31, Syl 6CS6, IBM 1680, RCA 6BY6.

I think that I am suffering from Heptoaditis Positiva Confucia (HPC syndrome). The main manifestation of HPC is being addicted to listening to music for long periods of time with a silly grin and accompanied by vigorous toe tapping. Well, in my case it really is heel tapping. (My doctor just told me that I need more exercise - wonder if this qualifies?)

Cheers,

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #2,223 of 13,438
Adam211-The "ultimate" guide to valve/tube suppliers=The webs biggest guide to vintage technology services=www.radiocraft.co.uk   most of the US/UK suppliers one of then MUST have what you want --keep that url.

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #2,224 of 13,438
Quote:
Remember seeing a post that was about buying a Littledot mk4 whitout the tubes is $309.00 was it $50.00 cheaper.And finally its  not worth it to buy MK4SE only difference is the tubes really ,right .the spec. look the same. What do you think.

My MK4 came with the SE power tubes, electro harmonix 6H30Pi (gold pins I had one out) instead of the 6H30EB that are supposed to be stock, and the GE 5654 drivers.

If the only difference is a Locking Jack upgrade and the better quality RCA's then I would say no myself. You can pick up the better locking jack from a local supplier for $8 or even get one without the lock. Same for the RCA jacks.

If there were better caps inside and finer tolerance resistors with a stepped volume control I'd say yes.
From the LDIII thread the solder / wire quality inside these is units is pretty poor, I have no had mine apart so I cant confirm that.
beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #2,225 of 13,438

The Little Dot MK IV SE is a special edition version of the Little Dot MK IV which features a Neutrik headphone jack upgrade, premium RCA connectors (American CMC or Van Den Hul RCA), and premium circuit component upgrades in key signal path locations.

http://littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=820&sid=66cc1ce2e017fceb54999c6ca8358709

I would love to add a stepped pot if i had the skills to do so. if anyone does this successfully i'd be willing to pay for the upgrade.

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #2,226 of 13,438
After reading about Mordy's experience with his FIVRE-Ferrari heptodes, I came across some FIVRE-Ferrari 6AT6/EBC90 triodes, and thought, why not? :)

These look different than any other EBC90 or EBC91 I have seen, so perhaps they will sound different? Like a Ferrari? lol Interestingly, on the inside of the box, the name "Dr Hans Borklin......Munchen.... -8 Sep 1958" is stamped in black ink. (Munchen = Munich, it seems....) I have Googled this gentlemen, but no results.... This suggests these were likely manufactured in the mid-1950s.

And then, since MIKELAP has been very impressed with his Japanese-made Hit-Ray, I thought it might be interesting to try some Japanese triodes. Found some Japanese-made 6AV6/EBC91 sourced by Multivox for use in their synthesizers in the 1970s. Again, these look entirely different than any other triode I have ever seen, so again, perhaps these will sound different?

And finally, a pair of Tung-Sol 6DT6 arrived:

GE 6HZ6 update. These tubes have about 12 hours on them, and I think I like them better than the Sylvanias. They have more bass presence than the Sylvanias and the midrange and treble remind me of the 8425. But again, these are very superficial first impressions, only ten minutes or so, of casual listening......

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #2,228 of 13,438
Quote:
Does it leave the LD on full blast? Most tubes I have will distort on the volume control being turned all the way up in my rig. (My usual setting is 3 o'clock)

It leaves it on almost full blast. Apparently, I find another positive effect that the LD MKIII distorts less. If you find a way to control the volume upfront, you won't have any distortions.
For Foobar, I have assigned short keys to increase and reduce volume. These days, I use it all the time. Sounds great. =)

Glad you like it Mikelap.

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #2,229 of 13,438
Quote:
Hi,

Burning in a set of RCA 5915 tubes. Everything sounds good, but I lost my bearings in comparing them to other heptodes. Everything just sounds great, be it Siem EH90, Tesla 6H31, Syl 6CS6, IBM 1680, RCA 6BY6.

I think that I am suffering from Heptoaditis Positiva Confucia (HPC syndrome). The main manifestation of HPC is being addicted to listening to music for long periods of time with a silly grin and accompanied by vigorous toe tapping. Well, in my case it really is heel tapping. (My doctor just told me that I need more exercise - wonder if this qualifies?)

Cheers,

i've got somewhere around 25 hrs on my rca 5915's, they sound great, all the rca's i have are really good, and pretty cheap to boot, a rca 12au7 clear top is my favorite in my indeed g3

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #2,231 of 13,438
Im burnin in some Voshkods 6ZHiP-EV that i bought 11/2 years ago but only had 15 hours on them and never really liked them and still dont after 36 hours got a long way to go at least 100 hours got to use them sometimes big bucks i paid for a matched pair didnt know better back then thanks to you guys i know better now. For those interested usually i use the Dac out of my Burson Conductor but decided to give it a break from burnin tubes so now i am using my first  amp you might say which is ASUS ESSENCE STX  soundcard well i miss my Conductor's Dac already i dont recognize the Littledot anymore a lot less detail bass is muddy not tight COULD THIS ARM MY TUBES 
size]
thats where my investment return comes in i guess.I have spare opamps that i got awhile back which should help the Essence but got to remove the card and install them ,someday winter project. 

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #2,232 of 13,438
Im burnin in some Voshkods 6ZHiP-EV that i bought 11/2 years ago but only had 15 hours on them and never really liked them and still dont after 36 hours got a long way to go at least 100 hours got to use them sometimes big bucks i paid for a matched pair didnt know better back then thanks to you guys i know better now. For those interested usually i use the Dac out of my Burson Conductor but decided to give it a break from burnin tubes so now i am using my first  amp you might say which is ASUS ESSENCE STX  soundcard well i miss my Conductor's Dac already i dont recognize the Littledot anymore a lot less detail bass is muddy not tight COULD THIS ARM MY TUBES 
size]

thats where my investment return comes in i guess.I have spare opamps that i got awhile back which should help the Essence but got to remove the card and install them ,someday winter project. 

AD797! they're great in my Auzentech Bravura, although I normally use my PS Audio DLIII.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #2,233 of 13,438
Someone email David and ask what these "upgrades in key signal path locations" are other than the mentioned jacks.

Indeed, the soldering work inside my MKII is not great. Some resistors are tightly soldered and others next to them are a few millimetres off the board.

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #2,234 of 13,438
Oh dear, one of the tubes I bought as a matched pair (the 6H6P-I power tubes) causes a slight channel imbalance. Contacted Yen Audio about this issue.

Do you think they'll ask me to send the pair back or just the offending tube?

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #2,235 of 13,438
Quote:

actually an SE version cost 409$ IIRC and im getting it for 305$ without the tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back