Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jul 26, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #12,076 of 13,448
Jul 26, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #12,077 of 13,448
yeah I tried the 1770pro and just couldn't get on with them, so then got the foster 610's which I also didn't get on with. So I decided to try the 1990pro's which I read great things about,. to my dismay I dint like these either, so I figured I didn't like the byerdynamic sound. So I thought I would try the hd6xx as they are so highly spoken about. When pairs with the little dot they really are great (personally ) it just made sense, sweet low end great mids and instruments and female vocals just popped with all the detail and texture I was looking for. I have started rolling the power tubes and realised they really effect the overall presentation and details of the music. The adventure continues!
I was eyeing up the t60rp the other day, they look very attractive for the money :)the t50rp also look really nice. maybe I should try planar with the little dot mk2 .
Low Z planars don't really pair well with OTL amps, you get bass roll off. The T50RPs really shine with an amp that can put out 1W or more. If I do get another solid state amp it will be the Emotiva BasX A-100 to bring my Fostex to life.

Also, stock T50RPs sound horrible out of the box, they have to be modded. Get yourself a pair of Argon's that already have the modding done.
https://www.modhouseaudio.com/

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #12,079 of 13,448
Low Z planars don't really pair well with OTL amps, you get bass roll off. The T50RPs really shine with an amp that can put out 1W or more. If I do get another solid state amp it will be the Emotiva BasX A-100 to bring my Fostex to life.

Also, stock T50RPs sound horrible out of the box, they have to be modded. Get yourself a pair of Argon's that already have the modding done.
https://www.modhouseaudio.com/
Thanks for the heads up! I picked up a pair of t60rp last night, should arrive today. Will see how they behave on LDMk2 plus as-701.

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #12,080 of 13,448
Thanks for the heads up! I picked up a pair of t60rp last night, should arrive today. Will see how they behave on LDMk2 plus as-701.
Nice! I do love the look of the T60RP and would like to get a chance to hear them one of these days, Fostex makes great heaphones.

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #12,081 of 13,448
Nice! I do love the look of the T60RP and would like to get a chance to hear them one of these days, Fostex makes great heaphones.
So, yeah i am impressed, definetly more high end and low end, really nice to listen to in fact and i have to say you are right! They sound a lot better on my as-701 vs LDmk2. And they really highlight the HD6xx deficiencies in the high and low end. I am really struggling to find an issue with the them. defo take more juice, and dont run so well on valve amp. very clean sounding, but still musical. very nice! think i will be keeping these :)
(sorry for going off piste with the thread)

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #12,082 of 13,448
So, yeah i am impressed, definetly more high end and low end, really nice to listen to in fact and i have to say you are right! They sound a lot better on my as-701 vs LDmk2. And they really highlight the HD6xx deficiencies in the high and low end. I am really struggling to find an issue with the them. defo take more juice, and dont run so well on valve amp. very clean sounding, but still musical. very nice! think i will be keeping these :)
(sorry for going off piste with the thread)
Awesome! I love my planars and wouldn't give them up for love nor money.

Now I am going to see if I can test out a pair of T60RPs
I really hate this place...:sweat_smile:

Jul 28, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #12,083 of 13,448
OK, so my C3Gs and adaptors arrived. Put them in my LD mk2 and got a mind-bendingly loud buzzing from the left channel. So took advice from some of the earlier posts on here and changed the gain settings from "3" (which I normally use) to "5". Buzzing disappeared and the tubes sound pretty good. However there is a definite background hum which I have not noticed before. Swapped the C3Gs out for some Mullard 8100s and the hum is still there (although not quite as loud). Is this just the gain change that has caused the hum or is it something I should worry about. If this cannot be cured I may have to try going back to Gain "3" and see if it disappears. Sad, if that's the case, as I love the sound of the C3Gs but not sure if I can live with the hum, particularly on quiet tracks. Any advice much appreciated.

Jul 28, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #12,084 of 13,448
OK, so my C3Gs and adaptors arrived. Put them in my LD mk2 and got a mind-bendingly loud buzzing from the left channel. So took advice from some of the earlier posts on here and changed the gain settings from "3" (which I normally use) to "5". Buzzing disappeared and the tubes sound pretty good. However there is a definite background hum which I have not noticed before. Swapped the C3Gs out for some Mullard 8100s and the hum is still there (although not quite as loud). Is this just the gain change that has caused the hum or is it something I should worry about. If this cannot be cured I may have to try going back to Gain "3" and see if it disappears. Sad, if that's the case, as I love the sound of the C3Gs but not sure if I can live with the hum, particularly on quiet tracks. Any advice much appreciated.
If you change around the tubes does the hum follow to the other channel? i dont remember my homemade adapters ever having a hum

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #12,086 of 13,448
Jul 28, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #12,087 of 13,448
Could problem be adapters ?
Possibly Mike, but there seems to be a slight hum now when using the Mullard 8100s. It's not earth-shattering, but I notice it in the gaps between notes on quieter pieces of music. Maybe it is just something that I am only just noticing now that I have the Gain up higher than normal. And I really like your adaptor tutorial by-the-way. One day I may attempt it when I'm feeling more confident!

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #12,088 of 13,448
I only get hum on the LD MK IV with low impedance headphones such as my Ultrasone HFI-780. I run at gain 5 as 3 sounded horrible to me with the DT880s.

It's possible one of the connectors on your amps tube socket is dirty or expanded too much from the adapter. If the hum is happening with all tubes, then I would suspect that or possible a cold solder where the socket attaches to the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back