Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jul 25, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #12,062 of 13,434
Hello, does anyone know the official little dot website url? can't find it on google..

thanks
It's long gone, has been for years.

Jul 25, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #12,063 of 13,434
Just another question :) does anyone know if the little dot mk2 tubes will work with the little dot mk8?
thanks
No they won't work, the LD MK8SE uses 2x12AT7 as drivers and 4x6H30PI as output. The drivers are socket B9A dual triodes and the drivers for the MK2 are socket B7G pentodes.

Jul 25, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #12,065 of 13,434
I would like to step up in the Little dot family, and would like balanced out put. currently running a little dot Mk2 and think it is fantastic with hd6xx. but i hear that the hd6xx do well on balanced. I really enjoy the tube rolling aspect and dont think the new mk3 will be a big enough step up. I am assuming the only difference between the mk6 and mk8 is the type of tubes. From a tube rolling aspect which would be recommended for the hd6xx cans?
Thanks

Jul 25, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #12,066 of 13,434
Thanks for letting me know, between the mk6 and mk8 whats is the primary difference? is it just the tube types?
thanks
The Little Dot MK VIII SE has a single ended output as well as balanced, also it is basically two mono blocks in one case, each with their own power supply. (It uses two power cords.)

Jul 25, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #12,067 of 13,434
I would like to step up in the Little dot family, and would like balanced out put. currently running a little dot Mk2 and think it is fantastic with hd6xx. but i hear that the hd6xx do well on balanced. I really enjoy the tube rolling aspect and dont think the new mk3 will be a big enough step up. I am assuming the only difference between the mk6 and mk8 is the type of tubes. From a tube rolling aspect which would be recommended for the hd6xx cans?
Thanks
Balanced headphone output is a bit of a misnomer in the headphone game and is a term adopted by the manufacturers for marketing purposes.

If you volume match a balanced headphone output with the singles ended output on the same amp you should hear zero difference between the two. Mind you some manufacturers have designed their amps with poor single ended outputs just to show how much of an improvement balanced is, but those are underhanded shenanigans by crooked manufacturers.

You will see benefit from balanced output if the single ended side of the amp can't provide enough power to drive your headphones properly. If the MK II drives the HD6xx properly now you will not see any benefit from driving them balanced. The common misconception is that balanced output is some sort of magic pill that will make headphones sound better.

You might find the LD MK VI better sounding than the MK II, but that would be due to the Octal tubes in it and not the balanced output.

I listened to the HD6xx at my daughters place on a Monolith AAA THX DAC/Amp and was underwhelmed, especially for all the hype they get. I will have to borrow them one day to try on my LD MK IV and see it they are any better.

Jul 26, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #12,070 of 13,434
Hmmm I noticed one of the 6K4(6BA6) I'm using on LD1+ is causing white noise in one channel, and the volume is slightly smaller.

The getter inside the tube is getting thinner, almost transparent by now. I guess it's leaking very slowly. Turns out the condition of the tube do affect the sound!

I'll see how long that tube lasts since the amp is almost on 24/7. It's the cheapest tube I have at hand and they're sold as defective tubes anyway.

What's the common lifespan of a B7G-based pentode/beam tetrode like 6BA6?

Jul 26, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #12,071 of 13,434
Hello, does anyone know the official little dot website url? can't find it on google..

thanks
Their old website (a forum site) just came back online, which is www.littledot.net Also, they have a new website to shop, Mr. Yang has posted on the Chinese forum section, which is https://littledotus.com
I thought I may have replied this in the other thread?

Jul 26, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #12,072 of 13,434
Jul 26, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #12,073 of 13,434
Wow interesting, didn’t know that was the case with balanced headphone amps!
How do you find the little dot mk4?
If you were underwhelmed by the hd6xx, what headphone would you recommend?

cheers
My go-to are the DT880 on the MK IV and modified T50RP MK2 on solid state. That Sennheiser veil was the first thing that jumped out at me when I tried the HD6xx and that was all I could hear. It might be different if I used them with tubes on a daily basis though. I also tried the HE4xx that day too and would take my T50RPs over them any day. Different ears, different gears so they say, there are a lot of people who don't like the DT880s and even some who enjoy Grado. :scream: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jul 26, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #12,074 of 13,434
How do you find the little dot mk4?
I love it! Drivers are Yugoslavia EI 6HM5 (5 years running) and a pair of 6H30Pi-EV outputs. I did change out the headphone jack to a proper locking version from Neutrik as that cheap clone one Little Dot used for the MK IV is pure junk.

Jul 26, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #12,075 of 13,434
My go-to are the DT880 on the MK IV and modified T50RP MK2 on solid state. That Sennheiser veil was the first thing that jumped out at me when I tried the HD6xx and that was all I could hear. It might be different if I used them with tubes on a daily basis though. I also tried the HE4xx that day too and would take my T50RPs over them any day. Different ears, different gears so they say, there are a lot of people who don't like the DT880s and even some who enjoy Grado. :scream: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
yeah I tried the 1770pro and just couldn't get on with them, so then got the foster 610's which I also didn't get on with. So I decided to try the 1990pro's which I read great things about,. to my dismay I dint like these either, so I figured I didn't like the byerdynamic sound. So I thought I would try the hd6xx as they are so highly spoken about. When pairs with the little dot they really are great (personally ) it just made sense, sweet low end great mids and instruments and female vocals just popped with all the detail and texture I was looking for. I have started rolling the power tubes and realised they really effect the overall presentation and details of the music. The adventure continues!
I was eyeing up the t60rp the other day, they look very attractive for the money :)the t50rp also look really nice. maybe I should try planar with the little dot mk2 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back