Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jul 10, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #12,046 of 13,438
No mentions here at all on Head-Fi about the LD H1, using two 6SN7. I'm thinking of getting one, but to run with the PSVANE CV181-TII.
Has anyone heard this amp anywhere?

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #12,047 of 13,438
Hello everyone. I have a Fosi T20 that uses the same tube size. I read a bit through the thread and was checking for some suggestions for a tube that would provide clean bright sound for competitive FPS gaming. I would rather it be light on the bass and the main aim would be to have the most precise imaging.

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #12,048 of 13,438
Hello everyone. I have a Fosi T20 that uses the same tube size. I read a bit through the thread and was checking for some suggestions for a tube that would provide clean bright sound for competitive FPS gaming. I would rather it be light on the bass and the main aim would be to have the most precise imaging.

Thanks!
If memory serves me these were clean sounding i have the tubes but dont have the amp anymore: ELECTRO HARMONIX 6H30Pi and VOSKHOD 6ZHiP-EV .

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #12,050 of 13,438
Hi all,
I’ve just bought a lovely little dot mk iv.
I am super happy with the sound, it is well over what I was expecting.
I am currently on probably stock tubes, but I do have some around and I will be swapping them around,
Would I be able to use these ones as power tubes with the required adaptors?
I think you will have a hard time finding an adapter for that tube as it's a voltage regulator and not a dual triode. :wink:

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #12,051 of 13,438
Hello, just picked up some mullard 8083 tubes, however i just discovered my little dot mk2 does not have ef91 settings. I can only see EF92 and EF 95. Is it ok to run these tubes on the EF92 setting? - Am i running a fire risk here?

Thanks

Daniel

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #12,056 of 13,438
Quote:

Yes indeed, I tested several pairs of 6BA6 in my LD1+, including a pair manufactured in 1947, and they sounds fine... maybe not great, but at least average. :)

The LD1+ uses tubes as buffers, not as drivers to provide voltage gain before a power tube. In fact, tubes in the 1+ provide something less than unity gain. Believe or not, you could cut all the tube circuitry out of this amp, replace it with a straight wire, and it would work fine. (Yes, it has been done! lol )

Hi, I bought LD1+ few weeks ago and I'm experimenting different tubes on it, and LD1+ indeed is very forgiving for tubes!
When I'm surfing this thread for information I found your informative reply on using 6BA6(a remote cut-off pentode) on LD1+, I tried it myself and found the result to be pleasing.

I'm not very familiar with tube amp design, you said the first stage of LD1+ is configured as cathode follower/buffer which provides no voltage gain, and replace the tube with a straight wire will work fine(which I haven't tried yet). Does that mean tube on LD1+ won't make any difference? Is it essentially a solid state amp?

Also I tried plug in a 6A2(6BE6 equivalent, Pentagrid-converter/Heptode), and it also worked. I do feel there seems to be some volume/sound change when I'm changing different tubes, but that maybe just my brain.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #12,057 of 13,438
Does that mean tube on LD1+ won't make any difference? Is it essentially a solid state amp?

Yes, the LD1+ is essentially a solid state amp. The tubes are used only to add "flavor" to the sound. But yes, sometimes swapping out tubes does seems to change the volume. For example, a tube with a strong mid range emphasis might sound louder than another tube with a more subdued mid range emphasis. But again, tubes provide no gain in the LD1+, and the volume is the same for every tube.

Jul 24, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #12,058 of 13,438
Yes, the LD1+ is essentially a solid state amp. The tubes are used only to add "flavor" to the sound. But yes, sometimes swapping out tubes does seems to change the volume. For example, a tube with a strong mid range emphasis might sound louder than another tube with a more subdued mid range emphasis. But again, tubes provide no gain in the LD1+, and the volume is the same for every tube.

Thanks for your reply! I understand that the tube doesn't do any amplification, but it still changed the sonic characteristic right? I'm okay with it not amplifying, but I'd like it at least to be doing something :D

Jul 24, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #12,059 of 13,438
Thanks for your reply! I understand that the tube doesn't do any amplification, but it still changed the sonic characteristic right? I'm okay with it not amplifying, but I'd like it at least to be doing something :D

Yes indeed, each tube adds its unique sonic signature to the sound. And there are many different tubes to try. Have fun! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back