Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Mar 28, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #11,476 of 13,432
Thanks for doing that!!! I will unhook it and just like Ggroch suggests, use it in the REC out for headphone use only. A bit disappointing because I wanted the "tube sound" through the receiver/speakers as well, but better to not risk frying anything. Thanks so much to you both for all of your help!!
Hi M23,

If you disconnect the U-shaped connector on the back of the receiver, you can connect the Little Dot in as a preamp, and use the amp in the receiver, and this will give you the tube sound through your speakers.

Mar 28, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #11,477 of 13,432
Hi M23,

If you disconnect the U-shaped connector on the back of the receiver, you can connect the Little Dot in as a preamp, and use the amp in the receiver, and this will give you the tube sound through your speakers.
If I do that, what functionality do I lose with the amp? I primarily use it with my turntable but also use the network connection to stream over DLNA. If I do hook it up and get the "tube sound" does that mean I have to unhook it if I want to turn the amp off and run stock or is there a way to leave it plugged in and bypass it to run stock?

Also, does that effect the way it is used as a headphone amplifier too?

Thanks!

Mar 28, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #11,478 of 13,432
I assume that you lose all the preamp functions such as volume control, bass treble, balance etc. Everything will be controlled by the LD.
However, it’s a long time ago that I had this setup, and you have the newest model, so my suggestion is to email Outlaw customer service with all your questions.
They are very responsive and knowledgeable and will help you with your setup.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #11,479 of 13,432
So my little dot mk2 has a problem. On the front face of the amp there is a connection or pressure problem and I’m not sure what to do. When I plug in the headphones there is a big channel imbalance and the volume is a lot lower than it reads on the volume pot. The only way to fix this is to put a lot of pressure on the front face panel. If I use my hand to push down next to the volume pot, then the amp pushes out the right sound. I want to fix this but I’m not sure what I would have to do? Is it a bad connection with the volume pot? Is the headphone output messed up? Any advice on this?

Mar 28, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #11,480 of 13,432
So my little dot mk2 has a problem. On the front face of the amp there is a connection or pressure problem and I’m not sure what to do. When I plug in the headphones there is a big channel imbalance and the volume is a lot lower than it reads on the volume pot. The only way to fix this is to put a lot of pressure on the front face panel. If I use my hand to push down next to the volume pot, then the amp pushes out the right sound. I want to fix this but I’m not sure what I would have to do? Is it a bad connection with the volume pot? Is the headphone output messed up? Any advice on this?
I had a similar problem with my MKIV. I had to pull the headphone plug out about 1/16" to 1/8" for the R/L channels and ground to line up correctly. If you're using a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter it may be wise to try a different one. I just left mine pulled out slightly.

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #11,481 of 13,432
I had a similar problem with my MKIV. I had to pull the headphone plug out about 1/16" to 1/8" for the R/L channels and ground to line up correctly. If you're using a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter it may be wise to try a different one. I just left mine pulled out slightly.
It’s frustrating to have it this way. Sometimes makes me second guess if I’m getting the correct sound out of the amp

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #11,482 of 13,432
I had a similar problem with mine a while ago - only one channel working unless I pressed hard on the top surface. Couldn't work out what was happening. Then I tried re-seating the main fuse (next to the power input). For some reason this seemed to sort it out. Also make sure the power lead is firmly in the socket on the LD. Hope this helps.

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #11,483 of 13,432
I had a similar problem with mine a while ago - only one channel working unless I pressed hard on the top surface. Couldn't work out what was happening. Then I tried re-seating the main fuse (next to the power input). For some reason this seemed to sort it out. Also make sure the power lead is firmly in the socket on the LD. Hope this helps.
Seems like a QC thing. Thanks for this. I will try it out when I get home

Mar 30, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #11,484 of 13,432
I've had the board out of my MK IV long ago to replace the cheap stock "Neutrik style" headphone jack and to make a schematic for it. I touched up all the sketchy solder joints on the board at that point in time.

Getting proper sound by pressing on the case would most likely be a cold solder joint in the amp and that would be an easy fix for someone with basic soldering skills. The tedious part is pulling the board out of the case on a MK III or MK IV.

The MK II would be quite easy since the case is in two pieces.
Little-Dot-MK-II-Review-IMG_8537-.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #11,485 of 13,432
A bit off the present discussion but nonetheless...Of all the tubes I have tried, I still find the Voshkod the best all-round. I found an earlier version, 74' I think, and was hoping for something special but...it's a nice tube but is a step down from it's later version. It is non-ribbed and dooesn't look to be as rugged. That's probably why they changed the construction. There are still some I haven't tried but I got kind of tird of the obsession. The one tube I miss was the pair of Teslas that died on me before they were broken in. Never could find another set. If anyone has had experience with those rather pricey Telefunken I would like to know their experience. I was listening just to a pair of very old (44') Tungsols and found them rather harsh. So age is not necissarily the most important criteria. My two sets of Voshkod are from the late 80's and they are really quite special. It's worth repeating, at the expense of being a bore, that they need a LOT of time to burn in, more than any tube I have tried.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #11,487 of 13,432
Yes, common thought says older is better and there are reasons why but in this case apparently not. I doubt these 73' Voshkod need the same length of time to burn in as the newer ones since after 30 hours they haven't changed so...so in the end all one can say with any certainty is tubes are like anything else: how they will sound is system dependant and of course a matter of taste. The elusive perfect tube will remain just that...elusive! Markings...OTK1, rocket symbol, a losange with a 2, and in Russian 6Xsomething-EB and then 73. same as the later version excepting the date. The inner construction appears identical. The only thing that has changed is the ribbed glass. Weird...

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #11,488 of 13,432
Yes, common thought says older is better and there are reasons why but in this case apparently not. I doubt these 73' Voshkod need the same length of time to burn in as the newer ones since after 30 hours they haven't changed so...so in the end all one can say with any certainty is tubes are like anything else: how they will sound is system dependant and of course a matter of taste. The elusive perfect tube will remain just that...elusive! Markings...OTK1, rocket symbol, a losange with a 2, and in Russian 6Xsomething-EB and then 73. same as the later version excepting the date. The inner construction appears identical. The only thing that has changed is the ribbed glass. Weird...
The common wisdom is that the earlier tubes were better made because of worker pressure under communism. As communism began to crumble, the quality went down.
But there are always exceptions to every rule....
The OTK symbol is supposed to mean nothing - it is akin to being inspected by #3 or whatever number the inspector had.

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #11,489 of 13,432
I knew that. I was just replying to the question; "Are your tubes 6ZH1P with OTK marking?". As for old tubes, yes it's pretty clear that when tubes were in their hey-day, being made by people skilled and using machines that were still fresh, they should be of better quality and hence sound better. I will have to bite the bullet and go back and listen to the whole lot to re-test my appreciation. I am pretty sure though that my 88' Vosh. will come out on top. It's supremely ironic that many of the tubes we talk about were intended for military use and no one had an inkling they would find a second life in audio applications. I find that rather sweet and oddly comforting. From missles and migs to headphone rigs!

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #11,490 of 13,432
I knew that. I was just replying to the question; "Are your tubes 6ZH1P with OTK marking?". As for old tubes, yes it's pretty clear that when tubes were in their hey-day, being made by people skilled and using machines that were still fresh, they should be of better quality and hence sound better. I will have to bite the bullet and go back and listen to the whole lot to re-test my appreciation. I am pretty sure though that my 88' Vosh. will come out on top. It's supremely ironic that many of the tubes we talk about were intended for military use and no one had an inkling they would find a second life in audio applications. I find that rather sweet and oddly comforting. From missles and migs to headphone rigs!
My thoughts exactly sheppherd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back