Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jan 19, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #11,356 of 13,432
I don't think this is correct. My MKll is a SEPP configuration, no cathode follower required.
It's been that way since the LD II++ was replaced by the MKll as far as I know.

Thus tube matching is important, both for power and driver tubes.

Please correct me if I am off base here.
There is still only one driver and one output per channel, I really don't know why you would want matched tubes. Power output tubes are usually in pairs and are matched so that each tube shares the output power equally. Since the Little Dot has no power tubes and they are not in pairs, there is no benefit for using matched tubes.

Jan 19, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #11,357 of 13,432
I hear you... I haven't listened to my LD1+ since the Glenn OTL arrived on the scene... about three years ago...

And as I was shoveling about 6 inches of snow today, for some reason, it popped into my head that maybe I should sell the LD1+, including all the tubes, several hundred I would guess, and adapters, as a package deal... Again, I have just begun to think about it... Haven't made a decision yet....
I sold my Littledot MK3 about a year ago and i also have plenty of tubes that i tried selling and nobody wants them . I guess there's no more adventurous rollers out there

Jan 19, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #11,358 of 13,432
Between the LD and the OTL, I have well over 1000 tubes. lol :)
Your in deep my friend :L3000:. That rabbit hole is endless :L3000:

Jan 19, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #11,360 of 13,432
It's difficult to sell the amp and all the tubes aii at once that is my goal but so far no luck so i'am holding on to them until someone want the whole lot(wish me luck).I made an adapter for the LD's tubes to be used in my DIY amp and most of these tubes they do sucks in my DIY amp or maybe my DIY amp sucks....:)

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #11,362 of 13,432
I sold my Littledot MK3 about a year ago and i also have plenty of tubes that i tried selling and nobody wants them . I guess there's no more adventurous rollers out there

Again, I have several hundred tubes that will work in the LD, but not in my OTL. So my thinking is that whoever buys the tubes gets the amp for free. After all, given how inexpensive a new LD1+ is, I wouldn't get enough for a used, battle-worn LD+1 to be worth the trouble. And besides it still leaves me with the problem of what to do with all these tubes. They are useless without the amp. So if no one is interested in a package deal, I will just put everything in a box and store it away. And maybe after I pass, one of my heirs will be happy to have it. lol :)

Jan 20, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #11,363 of 13,432
There is still only one driver and one output per channel, I really don't know why you would want matched tubes. Power output tubes are usually in pairs and are matched so that each tube shares the output power equally. Since the Little Dot has no power tubes and they are not in pairs, there is no benefit for using matched tubes.

Forgive me but I don't understand what you mean by saying my LD MKll does NOT have power tubes..? I may be missing something but what are those two 6N6P sticking out of it if not power tubes..?

I'm obviously misunderstanding something rather fundamental here. I'd be most grateful for some clarity since it would be useful not to have to worry about matched tubes going forward.

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #11,364 of 13,432
I received a very good offer for an MK3, but I do not really think I will see a big difference from my actual MK2. Still, for that price I am thinking about it...
My logical step would be Elise sometime in the future, but I ask for an advice: should I step to MK3 in the meantime if the price is very good? Or just keep my MK2 and wait patiently for Elise?

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #11,365 of 13,432
I received a very good offer for an MK3, but I do not really think I will see a big difference from my actual MK2. Still, for that price I am thinking about it...
My logical step would be Elise sometime in the future, but I ask for an advice: should I step to MK3 in the meantime if the price is very good? Or just keep my MK2 and wait patiently for Elise?
Elise did go up in price alot recently .I would wait and save up youll get there faster if its Elise you really want .What gets me is when Elise was launched a few years ago price was $500.USD now well i guess you saw the price still worth it ?

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #11,366 of 13,432
I was thinking exactly at the same thing regarding ELISE. How much is marketing compared to a real improvement. I have no timeline for ELISE so I can wait and see what is happening. But I do not expect a decrease in price since it received a lot of good reviews and people seem to buy it. And the rest of the Littledot line-up seems to be very close in sound and quality with my upgraded MK2... I guess the best decision is to stick with it and use it as long as I can.

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #11,367 of 13,432
Hi OH,
I have both the LD MKIII and the Elise. The Elise is a really significant upgrade. Once I got it I stopped using the MKIII.
If you want to get the Elise my suggestion is to get a good used one which should be much cheaper than a new one, considering the sizable price increase.

Feb 1, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #11,368 of 13,432
I doubt there are too many offers of used Elise amps, and if I decide to buy one I have to start again collecting tubes. My old "repository" from the Littledots will not be usable anymore.
I guess my existing collection can be used on Espressivo but that one will only be a half-upgrade.
So hard choice.

Feb 1, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #11,369 of 13,432
So it's time for me to get a few new 6N6P for my LD MKll, and I've found a local stash of NOS (about 50 of them).

Seller is offering them to me at $8 each, and $15 each if he matches and balances them.

They are Novosibirsk dated 1963 - lovely!

Question is though, is it worth paying double for matched tubes? Many around here seem to think it is not necessary.

Opinions??

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #11,370 of 13,432
So it's time for me to get a few new 6N6P for my LD MKll, and I've found a local stash of NOS (about 50 of them).

Seller is offering them to me at $8 each, and $15 each if he matches and balances them.

They are Novosibirsk dated 1963 - lovely!

Question is though, is it worth paying double for matched tubes? Many around here seem to think it is not necessary.

Opinions??
Since many here actually know it is not necessary... You should get the matched ones just for your piece of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back