Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jan 14, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #11,341 of 13,432
In my opinion, the GE 5654, GE 5654W and GE 5Star 5654 are all the same tube. GE did not manufacture multiple versions of the 5654. The 5654 was designed to be more shock and vibration resistant than the 6AK5 for use in severe operating environments, such as in an industrial factory setting or the military theater.

Again, in my opinion, the differences the reviewer heard are largely due to the fact that these tubes were very likely manufactured at different times. For example, in my experience, a tube manufactured in 1950 will often sound slightly different compared to tubes manufactured in the same factory in 1955, 1960 or 1965.

Over the years, the materials and processes used in the fabrication of vacuum tubes changed and as a result, the sound also changed. In the beginning, when tubes were state-of-the-art, changes were made to improve their performance. But towards the end of the tube era, changes were made to reduce costs. And since the 5654 was not designed for use as an audio amplifier, it is impossible to predict how these changes might play out in an audio circuit.

So again, in my opinion, the fact that the reviewer did not specify the date of manufacture makes his review relatively worthless. We do not know precisely which tubes he evaluated.

My advice: Obtain several GE 5654, ranging from the earliest, around 1948, to the latest, around 1980, and judge for yourself which sound best in your system.

Jan 14, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #11,342 of 13,432
Little Dot MK III with NOS Tung Sol 6SN7 Power Tubes and C3G Driver Tubes .jpg

Happy Rolling

Jan 14, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #11,345 of 13,432
Jan 14, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #11,346 of 13,432
Skip past trying all of those tubes, and go straight to one of these:

-Mullard M8083
-6HM5/6HQ5 (no adapters needed)
-or preferably C3Gs (adaptors needed)

Save the $$$ a lot of us spent rolling far too many tubes...My 2c.

-Mark in St. Louis
Hi bd,

Concur 100% - just wanted to add that the 6HM5/6HQ5 may be the least expensive of these - if you shop carefully only a couple of bucks a piece.

Jan 14, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #11,348 of 13,432
I hear you... I haven't listened to my LD1+ since the Glenn OTL arrived on the scene... about three years ago...

And as I was shoveling about 6 inches of snow today, for some reason, it popped into my head that maybe I should sell the LD1+, including all the tubes, several hundred I would guess, and adapters, as a package deal... Again, I have just begun to think about it... Haven't made a decision yet....

Jan 15, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #11,350 of 13,432
I hear you... I haven't listened to my LD1+ since the Glenn OTL arrived on the scene... about three years ago...

And as I was shoveling about 6 inches of snow today, for some reason, it popped into my head that maybe I should sell the LD1+, including all the tubes, several hundred I would guess, and adapters, as a package deal... Again, I have just begun to think about it... Haven't made a decision yet....
I haven't decided yet, it probably makes sense as It has not been used for several months, had many happy hours with my MKIII though, but I'm after another pair of Tung Sol 5998 and they are not cheap, decisions, decisions...

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #11,351 of 13,432

Ken, no wonder you cannot find the tube you are looking for. LOL

Jan 16, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #11,353 of 13,432
I've been trying to sell my MK III with all the tubes with it so far no luck most buyers in my area only want the amp,selling the amp is easy but the tubes or with all the tubes aint easy for me,cheap bustards....:)

Jan 19, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #11,355 of 13,432
Power tubes is a bit of a misnomer, the LD amplifiers are really just preamps.

The matching of power tubes is required in Push/Pull configurations where both tubes are required to draw the same amount of current. The output tubes of the LD amps are configured in a Cathode Follower configuration and tube matching is not required.

I don't think this is correct. My MKll is a SEPP configuration, no cathode follower required.
It's been that way since the LD II++ was replaced by the MKll as far as I know.

Thus tube matching is important, both for power and driver tubes.

Please correct me if I am off base here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back