Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jun 7, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #10,223 of 13,448
Jun 14, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #10,224 of 13,448
I'm thinking of selling my LD MK3 with 6N6P-IR power tubes and 6HM5 drivers to build a bottlehead crack. Anyone heard these two?

Sell the MK III don't build the CRACK get a vintage receiver and make a speaker tap for your Headphones.
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #10,226 of 13,448

Can anyone help me identify these RCA tubes? Should they be worth $10 a pair?

I don't really understand what you are asking...

To my eyes, there is no mystery here: 1960's vintage RCA 5654. Whether they are worth $10/pair is a question only you can answer. After all, everyone has different ears and different gear. That said, $10 seems pretty cheap to me....

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #10,227 of 13,448
Thanks for the reply. Actually before asking I did google "RCA 5654" but not much showed up and I can't imagine what their sound would be like, what year should be best, mil-spec or not etc. Too bad I can't audition them because I'm shipping from another country.

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #10,228 of 13,448
Hi Guys :)

I am new to this forum, to Little Dot Amps and to tube rolling... well, to be honest, I know nothing at all about tubes :p

I have been reading thou, but I am still centuries behind you guys.  Yet, thanks to this forum, thread and specially to all of you, I have decided to buy my first tube headphone amp! And today I got confirmation my new Little Dot MK IV SE is on its way!

So I've been trying to read trough this thread, but it's huuuuge, and it ends up being a little bit confusing because many of you have moded your amps, and it looks like there were different versions of LD amps with different compatibilities.

So I have some questions for you, I hope you don't hate me for re-asking a lot of stuff, but I want to start my tube rolling adventures and I want to be sure of what I am doind before:

1) Can I use E88CC and/or 7N7 as power tubes on my LD MK IV SE without any modding or external PSU? I understand 7N7 requires adapting, not so sure about E88CC...??

1.1) So I understand there are switches for driver tube compatibility, but what about rolling these power tubes? I read somewhere that 6922/ECC88 are not directly compatible with 6H30... can someone help me understand why? I mean, pinouts match, right? and also heater voltage, and amperage is lower on ECC88 than on 6H30...

2) Can I use C3g as driver tubes without any modding or external PSU? Only with adapters?

2.1) I have ordered a few C3g removed from military equipment, so they may be damaged. How can I test them? Is it safe to plug them into my new LD? I think I can test for shorts, but not sure about testing anything else...

2.2) How do I need to set the Amp switches to use C3gs?

4) Can someone point me on the right direction on how to make adapters for all of these tubes?

4.1) Using 7N7 as power tube = loctal to LD's 9-pin mini?
4.2) Using E88CC as power tubes = same pin out? No adapter needed?
4.3) Using C3g as drivers = loctal to LD's 7-pin?

Sorry for the many many questions. I managed to put together a lot of info, but I am not sure if I got everything right, and being a noob, even while I have pinouts and specs for all of these tubes, I don't know how to read them properly and how they work together... I mean, it's a lot to digest, and I am not sure how they may affect my new LD's circuitery.

Thanks! and many thanks again :)

Jun 17, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #10,229 of 13,448
  So I have some questions for you, I hope you don't hate me for re-asking a lot of stuff, but I want to start my tube rolling adventures and I want to be sure of what I am doind before:

1) Can I use E88CC and/or 7N7 as power tubes on my LD MK IV SE without any modding or external PSU? I understand 7N7 requires adapting, not so sure about E88CC...??

The E88CC has the same pin-out as the 6H30. So. It is plug and play. However, most find that it simply doesn't have enough power.

The 7N7 is electrically the same as the 6SN7. And therefore, all that is needed is a 7N7 to 6CG7/6FG7.

(The 6CG7 is also electrically the same as the 6SN7 and also has the same pinout as the 6H30. So in fact, you can roll 6CG7/6FG7 in place of 6H30, as well)

An external PSU is not necessary as long as the heater current is less than or equal to 1.0 amp.

1.1) So I understand there are switches for driver tube compatibility, but what about rolling these power tubes? I read somewhere that 6922/ECC88 are not directly compatible with 6H30... can someone help me understand why? I mean, pinouts match, right? and also heater voltage, and amperage is lower on ECC88 than on 6H30...

There are no switches for rolling power tubes. The designer assumed that only 6H30-type tubes would be used. Again, E88CC tubes are plug and play. Otherwise, when considering potential power tubes, all that is necessary is that it be a double triode with heater current equal to or less than 1.0 amp per tube (unless an external PSU is used). And in some instances, it will be plug and play, like an E88CC, and in others, a pin adapter will be necessary, like a 7N7. 

2) Can I use C3g as driver tubes without any modding or external PSU? Only with adapters?

Yes, the internal LD heater supply is adequate to power a pair of C3g. All that is necessary is a simple pin-adapter.

2.1) I have ordered a few C3g removed from military equipment, so they may be damaged. How can I test them? Is it safe to plug them into my new LD? I think I can test for shorts, but not sure about testing anything else...

I do not own a tube tester, so perhaps someone else will chime in here. However, I have rolled hundreds and hundreds of tubes through my LD without any damage to the amp. Either the tubes worked or they didn't.

2.2) How do I need to set the Amp switches to use C3gs?

EF95.

4) Can someone point me on the right direction on how to make adapters for all of these tubes?

For me, it is easier to purchase ready-made adapters. That said, I suggest that you consult the data sheets for these tubes in order to make a diagram showing how to reroute the pins corresponding to the heaters, cathodes, grids and anodes, from one tube to the other. But of course, actually building these adapters is another matter.

4.1) Using 7N7 as power tube = loctal to LD's 9-pin mini?
4.2) Using E88CC as power tubes = same pin out? No adapter needed?

Again, no adapter is necessary for E88CC, but I doubt that you will find them to be "powerful" enough to function as power tubes.

4.3) Using C3g as drivers = loctal to LD's 7-pin?

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #10,230 of 13,448
Ups, I got my message posted by mistake (CTRL+ENTER seems to submit the form)

Anyway, Thank you for taking the time to answer all these questions for me Gibosi :) !!!

Quote:
For me, it is easier to purchase ready-made adapters. That said, I suggest that you consult the data sheets for these tubes in order to make a diagram showing how to reroute the pins corresponding to the heaters, cathodes, grids and anodes, from one tube to the other. But of course, actually building these adapters is another matter.

I was going to buy adapters but when I was buying my C3Gs, as the price was good but I wasn't sure about the condition, I decided to buy 4 instead, and they come with 4 Loctal socket.

So at least to start, maybe using the socket could be a good way to learn and also speed up things, cause I am in Argentina and it takes a while to get stuff shipped here.

Anway, I will post all my diagrams here before attempting anything, but I'll also search through the thread before. I am almost sure I saw some rerouting tables for C3Gs already.

(...) However, I have rolled hundreds and hundreds of tubes through my LD without any damage to the amp. Either the tubes worked or they didn't.

Hundreds, wow, like a said... I am centuries behind, but can I use your experience to get some recommendations? 'cause I would also like to buy some cheaper plug and play tubes to compare, and to get some different yet nice-sounding options...

Viskhods for example were given some room at the beginning of this thread... are they worth? tung-sol?

What would you recommend me on the cheap and also on the not so cheap? I don't want to go over the hundreds, and at least to start, maybe testing more will be more entertaining :)

And finally, do you have experience with PVSANE? Are the Marking II really worth the price? I love the look of those tubes...

My new HD-800-S are also on the way, they are actually the reason behind my decision to get an amp. So my whole experience with this amp is going to be performed with them. But I also own HD-598 and HD-555).

Is burning in tubes and headphones together a good idea?

Thank you once more :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back