Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Apr 3, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #9,451 of 13,432

Hey superdux...The seller's English seems quite good.  They do not offer returns (listed on auction) but I will ask eBay to honor their guarantee.

As far as those 6N23Ps...I have a MH 25.3 DAC that uses a single 6DJ8/6922...Are these worth picking up for what is essentially a pre-amp stage?  I'm currently using a Amperex (Beckman) PQ 6922.

TIA
-Mark

I would guess that the Beckman tube was manufactured in the US? Instead of a triangle representing Philips' Heerlen, Holland, factory, it has an asterisk representing Philips' Hicksville, NY, factory? I have 1961 and 1965 New York tubes and I prefer both to the Heerland, Holland 6922 / E88CC manufactured at about the same time. However, I prefer the 1975 Voskhod 6N23P to any of these Philips tubes. But of course, my ears and my gear. :)

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #9,453 of 13,432

I would guess that the Beckman tube was manufactured in the US? Instead of a triangle representing Philips' Heerlen, Holland, factory, it has an asterisk representing Philips' Hicksville, NY, factory? I have 1961 and 1965 New York tubes and I prefer both to the Heerland, Holland 6922 / E88CC manufactured at about the same time. However, I prefer the 1975 Voskhod 6N23P to any of these Philips tubes. But of course, my ears and my gear. :)

Hey gibosi...Yes, US manufactured, gold pins, big halo getter...1964 production.

-Mark

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #9,458 of 13,432
Hello everybody, I'm brand new to tube amps and I'm trying to sort out all my questions, in hopes that you folks can answer them - at least a few people can answer a few of my questions - and if it's already been answered it's OK to just send me a link to the page.

• I heard the Little Dot MK3 sounds warmer than the MK4, yet was still advised to go with the MK4. Is the difference just because of a different type of tubes used in MK4, or is there anything else that makes the MK4 'better'?
    (I prefer a fairly flat sound signature that is punchy/dynamic, slightly warm and highs that are detailed yet not harsh)

• I have read the the Little Dot MK3 has adjustable gain switches, but I couldn't find any photos of that. Where on the unit is that switch - or is that just referring to disconnecting some of the tubes to change the gain amount?

• Approx. what is the average lifespan of a tube (the ones that the MK3 / 4 come with or otherwise?)

• Is anybody here familiar with the headphone amp "DarkVoice 336"? If so, how does this compare with the Little Dot amps, and which one would you recommend I may like better based upon my sound preference?
    (not important, just asking)

• Does anybody have advice on which tubes I may like best, based on my sound preferences?

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #9,460 of 13,432
Hi DecentLevi,

if you have the spare change get the MKIV it has the better parts and some guys here wrote they noted a difference for the better when changing from MKIII.
Yes the gain switches are inside the amp, if you turn it on its backside you can see 2 switches with on/off on them.With a tiny screwdriver flatblade you can toggle them to your desire.
As for the low ohm cans: they can be driven but it might be better getting a seperate amp for those cans if you have many of them.Though i do have positive experience with low ohm IEM that worked and sounded flawless on my MKIII.
As i've just switched powertubes to stock again i have the impression these are not so dark as the chinese 6SN7 i recently plugged in with an adapter. As for darker driver tubes i had some M8100/CV4010/6AK5W MULLARD that were not so hot on the top and a bit darker. I think they even come with the MKIV??? I'm not sure though.
Hope you have fun with your amp and don't make my mistake and buy from a reseller but buy directly from Davidzeze i think he's called.The guy from Littledot.You have a better garanty and warranty status with him.

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #9,461 of 13,432
Hello everybody, I'm brand new to tube amps and I'm trying to sort out all my questions, in hopes that you folks can answer them - at least a few people can answer a few of my questions - and if it's already been answered it's OK to just send me a link to the page.
  1. I heard the Little Dot MK3 sounds warmer than the MK4, yet was still advised to go with the MK4. Is the difference just because of a different type of tubes used in MK4, or is there anything else that makes the MK4 'better'?
    (I prefer a fairly flat sound signature that is punchy/dynamic, slightly warm and highs that are detailed yet not harsh)

2. I have read the the Little Dot MK3 has adjustable gain switches, but I couldn't find any photos of that. Where on the unit is that switch - or is that just referring to disconnecting some of the tubes to change the gain amount?

3. Approx. what is the average lifespan of a tube (the ones that the MK3 / 4 come with or otherwise?)

4. Is anybody here familiar with the headphone amp "DarkVoice 336"? If so, how does this compare with the Little Dot amps, and which one would you recommend I may like better based upon my sound preference?
    (not important, just asking)

5. Does anybody have advice on which tubes I may like best, based on my sound preferences?

Here are a few pictures .For the gain switches( page 8)  they are 2 of them for each channel on the MK3 ,under the amp in front  circled in black, towards the middle of the amp the arrows show the jumpers that you will have to move depending on the tubes you use  it will be easier to change them around if you get the long jumpers like in picture there about 1/2¨inch long with small longnose pliers its a dream.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6037680/Little%20Dot%20MK%20III%20Reference%20Guide.pdf                                                                                                                                                                                

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #9,462 of 13,432
Thanks very much guys, I guess I would have to figure out how to change tubes from trial & error later. Anybody can mention about the average lifespan of a tube, and if it would always be necessary to change the gain settings each time I switch from a low/high impendence headphone?

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #9,463 of 13,432
Hello again guys, I just wanted to ask if anybody would recommend the Little Dot MK3 over the Vali or FiiO E12 amp? I mean, would you say this amp sounds as better/worse than these other amps, and in about what way? I'm just asking because a lot of faith in these reviews would be required to buy this without first trying it.

I think if I do get a Little Dot I would get MK3 to save a few bucks, and maybe try replacing some tubes to get it to sound as good as the MK4.

In case this helps which amp / tube to recommend, I prefer a fairly flat sound signature that is punchy/dynamic, slightly warm and highs that are detailed yet not harsh. Thanks again folks!

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #9,464 of 13,432
  Hello again guys, I just wanted to ask if anybody would recommend the Little Dot MK3 over the Vali or FiiO E12 amp? I mean, would you say this amp sounds as better/worse than these other amps, and in about what way? I'm just asking because a lot of faith in these reviews would be required to buy this without first trying it.

I think if I do get a Little Dot I would get MK3 to save a few bucks, and maybe try replacing some tubes to get it to sound as good as the MK4.

In case this helps which amp / tube to recommend, I prefer a fairly flat sound signature that is punchy/dynamic, slightly warm and highs that are detailed yet not harsh. Thanks again folks!

Just the option of being able to tailor the sound on a Little Dot amplifier greatly surpasses the Vali and its non roll-able tubes. You could put tubes in the Little Dot that will bring it above Schiit audio quality and start entering Woo territory.

The E12 is a portable solid state amp, I don't really know how you would compare apples to oranges...

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #9,465 of 13,432

I have a Fiio E12 and E12 DIY. They hardly get used (but are nice amps). Most of my phones are high impedance types so I favour amps like the LD 3 / 4. I bought a 4SE bought without any tubes so I can roll whatever I want (tubes are all cheap for these amps). It is s best with high impedance phones however. For other impedance phones my LD Mk9 and my Schiit Vali are better all rounders (the latter a hybrid). So amp choice may be down to phone driving first and foremost. In my case, most of my phones are >300 ohms types so I favour OTL valve amps. I have solid state amps, some good ones, but my heart has always been valve based.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back