Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jan 27, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #4,816 of 13,432
Hi i luvmusic2,

I have both the tubes you mention, and I can assure you that the 6DJ8/6SN7/6CG7 etc tubes sound significantly better. I don't think that a single person on this this forum who has tried the new types that require adapters (and regulators) disagrees and is willing to go back to those tubes.

If somebody has explored and tried both types, and prefers the previous types that do not require adapters, speak up!

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #4,817 of 13,432
  With all of those 8 pins and 9 pins tubes that you guys are using with adapters/converters with separate power supply does it really sound better than most of the 7 pins tubes specially compare to 6HM5 and  6CS6(my favourite)?

After reading your post I took up the challenge to compare the two. I was initially sold on the the yugo 6HM5 being the penultimate non modded tube and if it were not for the kind head fi member mike lap selling me an adapter I would have been content with the yugo’s. I loved the spaciousness of the yugo’s the detail blended with the ultra wide soundstage. I received my adapter and soon after a 68 Amperex OG 6DJ8 and I have not looked back.
Having just rolled the yugos back in after a month of the 6DJ8 I can tell you it is a significant improvement that could be discerned by anybody.
I am a big fan of soundstage and this is the closest I have come to understanding and experiencing the term “holographic” soundstage. The yugos have a wider soundstage than the 6dj8 but the 6dj8 are well... holographic. With the 6DJ8 I hear the notes reverberate inside the acoustic guitar, I can discern the depth of the players on stage, and finally I can tell the height of the drum kit some which are placed above the players on stage and some on the same plane as the players but sitting vs the players standing. At first I thought it was the placebo effect but when I go online and look at live recordings I can see that the stage setup of the players is as it is reproduced on my recordings and I am convinced.
I know that the whole adapter world can be intimidating however switching has been the single best thing I have done to increase my listening experience.
The cost is significant more compared to the yugo’s so that is a factor you have to consider, my Amperex is a middle of the road tube in this family with the big hitters running in the hundreds of dollars.
Hope this helps
Gary

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #4,819 of 13,432
  Hi i luvmusic2,

I have both the tubes you mention, and I can assure you that the 6DJ8/6SN7/6CG7 etc tubes sound significantly better. I don't think that a single person on this this forum who has tried the new types that require adapters (and regulators) disagrees and is willing to go back to those tubes.

If somebody has explored and tried both types, and prefers the previous types that do not require adapters, speak up!

The reason i asked, originally i was suppoesd to build an adapter for both types of tubes(8 and 9 pin tubes)i ordered parts online then i waited  for nearly a month only to find out that my order was lost.For the meantime while i was waiting for my parts to arrived i bought few pairs of 7 pins including the 6HM5 and during that time i did tried all the tubes that i have on hand and the only two types of tubes that i really like(sound good to me)is the 6HM5 Yugoslavia and 6CS6 Tung-Sol.I got used to the sound  of the 6HM5 and i really like it never used the other tubes since.So before i order parts again(locally this time)i need an opinion regarding the sound of 8 pin tubes.The only concern i have now is the annoying HUM few weeks ago i did build an adapter for 12AU7 and man i tell you the Hum was really really bad.Thanks for your input again THANK YOU!

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #4,820 of 13,432
Regarding the hum, if you used an external voltage source, connecting one of the low output voltage wires to ground on the chassis of the LD amp may help.

I also found that using better insulated wires from the adapter to the socket helped, as well as moving around the wires and the socket adapter until the hum disappears or gets lower.

Another thing to watch out for is a portable phone or similar device in close proximity to the amp. It may cause noise and interference, and moving it away may help.

Good luck!

PS: If you really are happy with what you have, you could just stop there and enjoy listening to the music. However, if good is good, isn't better better?

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #4,821 of 13,432
  The reason i asked, originally i was suppoesd to build an adapter for both types of tubes(8 and 9 pin tubes)i ordered parts online then i waited  for nearly a month only to find out that my order was lost.For the meantime while i was waiting for my parts to arrived i bought few pairs of 7 pins including the 6HM5 and during that time i did tried all the tubes that i have on hand and the only two types of tubes that i really like(sound good to me)is the 6HM5 Yugoslavia and 6CS6 Tung-Sol.I got used to the sound  of the 6HM5 and i really like it never used the other tubes since.So before i order parts again(locally this time)i need an opinion regarding the sound of 8 pin tubes.The only concern i have now is the annoying HUM few weeks ago i did build an adapter for 12AU7 and man i tell you the Hum was really really bad.Thanks for your input again THANK YOU!

I  made 8 and 9 pin adapters ive had hum on 8 pin adapters but it was the tubes fault , another thing to ask for before buying octals. Out of 10 tubes i had 2 that hummed some people reported having adapters that hum but i never had that problem and ive made 6 or 7 of them dont know the cause of that is it placement of amp i dont know all i can say is hope for the best.I to recently when back to 7 pin tubes to see how they sounded and i also prefer the 8 and 9 pin tubes especially the octals for there warmth and bass . For me the adventure stops here probably dont really feel the need to go any deeper but who knows what the future holds.Its still a very interesting read

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #4,822 of 13,432
  Regarding the hum, if you used an external voltage source, connecting one of the low output voltage wires to ground on the chassis of the LD amp may help.

I also found that using better insulated wires from the adapter to the socket helped, as well as moving around the wires and the socket adapter until the hum disappears or gets lower.

Another thing to watch out for is a portable phone or similar device in close proximity to the amp. It may cause noise and interference, and moving it away may help.

Good luck!

PS: If you really are happy with what you have, you could just stop there and enjoy listening to the music. However, if good is good, isn't better better?

I just touch(it was silent before i touch it) the 7 pin adapter that is installed on the LD 1+ and the hum is there and if i touch the LD 1+ and LD MK III at the same time the hum from LD 1 will disapear could it be a grounding issue?THANK YOU!

In my opinion, yes. :)

THANK YOU!

I  made 8 and 9 pin adapters ive had hum on 8 pin adapters but it was the tubes falt , another thing to ask for before buying octals. Out of 10 tubes i had 2 that hummed some people reported having adapters that hum but i never had that problem and ive made 6 or 7 of them dont know the cause of that is it placement of amp i dont know all i can say is hope for the best.I to recently when back to 7 pin tubes to see how they sounded and i also prefer the 8 and 9 pin tubes especially the octals for there warmth and bass . For me the adventure stops here probably dont really feel the need to go any deeper but who knows what the future holds.Its still a very interesting read

Before i start making the adapter for Octal i will try to move around my amp (LD 1+) to see if there is a spot that have no or least HUM and then i go from there. THANK YOU!

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #4,823 of 13,432
  Before i start making the adapter for Octal i will try to move around my amp (LD 1+) to see if there is a spot that have no or least HUM and then i go from there. THANK YOU!

I suggest you purchase an 8-pin socket and configure it for 6DJ8 and 6CG7 tubes. To run octals, use a simple adapter purchased on line, with octal on top and 6DJ8 on the bottom. This one will work, as the 61NP is pin-compatible with the 6DJ8.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/two-Adapters-6SN7-6N1P-6N1-tubes-SUB-/250751485737?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a61f40729

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #4,824 of 13,432

I suggest you purchase an 8-pin socket and configure it for 6DJ8 and 6CG7 tubes. To run octals, use a simple adapter purchased on line, with octal on top and 6DJ8 on the bottom. This one will work, as the 61NP is pin-compatible with the 6DJ8.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/two-Adapters-6SN7-6N1P-6N1-tubes-SUB-/250751485737?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a61f40729

Thanks gibosi! I found the source of the hum it was my furnace and the vector adapter,when the furnace is running some of the tubes would hum.this is a big problem for me.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #4,826 of 13,432
Elo guys :D i'm lovin the progress! Now everyone's into octals? Really tempted to get a pair but the adapters sure do cost a bomb T.T but imo I feel octals will make the LD look more snazzy hahaha gotta love it 

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #4,827 of 13,432
Hi siles 1991,

If you use an octal tube as a driver (which I assume most people here do) you only need one tube with one socket adapter, but you do need two Vector adapters. The octals are dual triodes, so each tube serves the function of two tubes for our purposes.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #4,828 of 13,432
I finally received a Tungsram E80CC today. It was marked as shipped from Ukraine on December 28. It arrived in NY on January 4 and sat there until the 26th!

It is a tall tube, similar to the Heerlen-made E80CC, with an O-getter and rhodium pins. According to the vendor, this tube was made in 1967 - date code "3T". But "3T" could also be 1984....

http://www.cathedralstone.net/Tubes/TungsramDCTable.pdf

The number "1" is stamped on the small sheet of metal attached to the getter post. (Sorry for the poor phone pic.)

And there is a 4-digit code, similar to Philips, etched into the glass close to the base. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the light adjusted properly to photograph it.... Anyway, the code looks like A 3 D 1. However, the D looks more like an upside down U with a dot at the bottom, and the "1" looks like a simple straight line.

Perhaps Oskari will see this post and be able to tell us where and when this tube was manufactured.....

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #4,829 of 13,432
Or perhaps not. 
wink.gif

As far as I know, the type was only made by Philips (NL) and Tungsram (H); your tube being of the latter variety.

The rest I can't help with.

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #4,830 of 13,432
Thanks for taking the time to look into this. :) 

I am inclined to believe the vendor's claim that it is was manufactured in 1967, as the box appears to be from that time frame.

And it does appear that the majority of the tubes on eBay, including Mullard, Valvo, Siemens and Telefunken, were made in one or the other of these factories. However, I have seen a listing for what is claimed to be a Hamburg-made Valvo E80CC:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NOS-NEW-tube-Valvo-Hamburg-E80CC-6085-pinch-waist-D-getter-311040-/380780884667?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item58a84f32bb

And this listing for a Brimar E80CC, which looks nothing like the Holland and Hungary tubes, with a short bottle and black plates, makes me wonder if it might be from old USSR....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brimar-E80CC-double-triode-/310673724241?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item485598d351

Edited: to add the Brimar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back