Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Apr 13, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #10,966 of 13,432
  So despite having owned my little Dot mk III for about 5 year now, I never got into tube rolling.  I decided that needs to change.  I'm starting out looking for some relatively inexpensive tubes to try out, and I started with a matched pair of Voshkod 6ZH1P-EVs that I found for $16 on ebay.  It'll be interesting seeing what sort of difference they make.

​If you have just had the stock tubes in then you will notice a difference with the Voskhod, they are quite a fast tube, rather cool/dry sounding with good detail and slam, if you don't want to spend too much another very good tube is the EI 6HM5, slightly warmer than the Voskhod, has very good clarity/detail, good extended highs tight bass and detailed mids, they are at least as cheap, if not cheaper. Here's a link to these tubes.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261943723655?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #10,967 of 13,432

​If you have just had the stock tubes in then you will notice a difference with the Voskhod, they are quite a fast tube, rather cool/dry sounding with good detail and slam, if you don't want to spend too much another very good tube is the EI 6HM5, slightly warmer than the Voskhod, has very good clarity/detail, good extended highs tight bass and detailed mids, they are at least as cheap, if not cheaper. Here's a link to these tubes.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261943723655?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'll take that advice, thanks.  I figure I'll slowly build up a collection to try out and see what I like.  

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #10,968 of 13,432
Why does the little dot mkii sound considerably better when turned off and fed through the "output" RCA jacks (disabling the potentiometer) than turned on and fed through the "input" RCA jacks? Will replacing the tubes fix this?

Overall... I am not a fan of this amp out of box but I was curious to try it. Weirdly it sounds pretty good hooked up wrong.

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #10,969 of 13,432
  Why does the little dot mkii sound considerably better when turned off and fed through the "output" RCA jacks (disabling the potentiometer) than turned on and fed through the "input" RCA jacks? Will replacing the tubes fix this?

Overall... I am not a fan of this amp out of box but I was curious to try it. Weirdly it sounds pretty good hooked up wrong.

The RCA line out jacks are directly connected to the headphone out jack on the board. You are not disabling the volume control connecting it up that way, you are bypassing the amplifier.

If it is loud enough that way, then what are you using as a source and what headphones?

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #10,970 of 13,432
  The RCA line out jacks are directly connected to the headphone out jack on the board. You are not disabling the volume control connecting it up that way, you are bypassing the amplifier.

If it is loud enough that way, then what are you using as a source and what headphones?

It's barely loud enough but still sounds good. I'm using a gamma2 DAC and HD650s with everything at maximum volume, and running the tube am as a pre-amp into my ESP950s, which have their own amp.

That makes sense, though. So far, the only amp that sounds better than the gamma2 with the HD650s is the bottlehead crack with speedball but I'm going to try some Mullard tubes now. That makes sense, though. The stock tubes sound congested, muddy bass, sibilant treble. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #10,971 of 13,432
Apr 15, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #10,973 of 13,432
I've got some Mullard tubes on the way, should I also replace the power tubes? I would like to reclaim my Crack (which sounds great btw) for my HD650s. :/ The stock sound is very disappointing to me but I'll wait to try out the new tubes.

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #10,976 of 13,432
I do not remember clearly how the stock tubes sounded because I changed them in the first days. But what can I say is that there is a big improvement on clarity/detail if you upgrade both driver and power tubes. For me, the perfect sound was quite neutral. But everything depends on the rest of your line. All I say is that you should upgrade both driver and power tubes, since the Chinese stock ones sound quite crappy. I cannot say very much about HD650 since I sold my pair, for me they sounded too bassy and the "Sennheiser veil" was too pronounced. Being a fan of neutral/clear/fast sound I always enjoyed the Beyerdynamic Testla headphones and for my setup the best power tubes are 6N6P-IR. 6N6P are somehow warmer, with more bass.

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #10,977 of 13,432
  I do not remember clearly how the stock tubes sounded because I changed them in the first days. But what can I say is that there is a big improvement on clarity/detail if you upgrade both driver and power tubes. For me, the perfect sound was quite neutral. But everything depends on the rest of your line. All I say is that you should upgrade both driver and power tubes, since the Chinese stock ones sound quite crappy. I cannot say very much about HD650 since I sold my pair, for me they sounded too bassy and the "Sennheiser veil" was too pronounced. Being a fan of neutral/clear/fast sound I always enjoyed the Beyerdynamic Testla headphones and for my setup the best power tubes are 6N6P-IR. 6N6P are somehow warmer, with more bass.

Thanks, that's helpful. The Crack for whatever reason lifts a lot of the veil, while I have not used any other amp that does. It's kind of amazing, the HD650s sound good all of a sudden instead of good through five layers of felt. But still a little felty. I preferred my DT1350s (apparently quite similar to a mini-T1 in sound character if not sound quality) until I added that amp and they are still my go-to for work etc.

But I want to use this as a pre-amp for my ESP950 electrostatic headphones since they benefit from some smoothing out, too, and some warm bass. The stock tubes sound awful to me, worse than nothing. Tinny, congested, no bass. I will try the Mullards and 6N6P? Those work together well? Where should I order the 6N6P from? (I already have the Mullards, just haven't installed them yet.)

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #10,978 of 13,432
HD650 are good headphones, but not for what I listen. I listen to rock/metal which is fast and complicated. HD650 sounded great on soundtracks or Depeche Mode, but for rock they are far below T1s. And T1s are quite great on tube amps. If you prefer more detail and clarity I say you should go for 6N6P-IR as power tubes and Mullard 8161 (EF92) as drivers (do not forget to change jumpers). If you prefer more aggressive/fast sound on mids, for rock, the best are Voskhod 6J1P-EV.

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #10,979 of 13,432
I'm not crazy about the HD650s either but I do think they get less veiled with th right amp, and the Little dot has not improved them. I just want to use this as a pre-amp for my elecrtostats, though

I bought these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122440660580?ul_noapp=true

Is that the wrong one? It looked like it would be EF95 compatible. 

Anyhow, which tubes should I get? I can still return them.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #10,980 of 13,432
JPosted by Policar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm not crazy about the HD650s either but I do think they get less veiled with th right amp, and the Little dot has not improved them. I just want to use this as a pre-amp for my elecrtostats, though

I bought these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122440660580?ul_noapp=true

Is that the wrong one? It looked like it would be EF95 compatible. 

Anyhow, which tubes should I get? I can still return them.

Policar,

I had those as stock tubes with my MK III, i'm fairly sure they are French RTC tubes NOT Mullard, they are ok but not as good as Mullard, if you want Mullard the ones to go for are the mill spec versions, the M8100 (EF95), or the M8161 (EF92), and as for the power tubes Octavian is right, the 6N6P and 6N6P-IR are a definite improvement over the stock, as to which is better as always it's very subjective, the 6N6P is slightly warmer with stronger bass, the 6N6P-IR is cooler slightly better clarity/detail and a tad less bass.  Here is a link to some Mullard M8100 to give you an idea.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M8100-CV4010-EF95-MULLARD-BLACK-PLATE-8140-NOS-E-MATCHED-PAIR-VALVE-TUBE-A16-/371599617046?
hash=item5685102c16:g:py4AAOSw7KJXDpk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back