Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Sep 22, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #10,396 of 13,432

just by looking at these tubes and knowing it's made by hand. that's a lot of work. lots of little soldering work. yeah I will check some videos. I always love antique stuff so it's great I can use antique stuff in modern stuff. a dollar back then is a lot of money lol.

I stay tuned to see what other tube you find next. every morning I turn the system on and it surprise me how good it is. but after 5 hours of listening I take it for granted a bit.

how are these little dot driving orthodynamics? those are the only type of headphone I haven't tried. I am craving for some hit in the face type of bass now. but not like beats.

things back then were much better made than today. hopefully the little dot and the m8 dac last me at least 10 years Im happy.

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #10,397 of 13,432
how are these little dot driving orthodynamics? those are the only type of headphone I haven't tried. I am craving for some hit in the face type of bass now. but not like beats.  

My MK IV does a good job driving my T50RP's.

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #10,398 of 13,432

nice headphone stand. that is some real DIY. interesting you get the two driver tube into one of those black tube. I saw those on ebay. tubes are taking so many different shapes.

Sep 25, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #10,399 of 13,432
My 62" Tungsol 6AH6 suddenly went horribly microphonic. Anyone else have this experience or a cure? I am awaiting some old Tesla's, with the white hat I think, but I doubt they will sound better than the Tung sols. I have read many pages of this thread and am getting a bit lost I confess! Would it be possible to list all the tubes in the F95 family that have been discovered since the original list? Oh and I have a question for the experts; what is the difference between the D and the F versions of the Tesla?

Sep 25, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #10,400 of 13,432
  My 62" Tungsol 6AH6 suddenly went horribly microphonic. Anyone else have this experience or a cure? I am awaiting some old Tesla's, with the white hat I think, but I doubt they will sound better than the Tung sols. I have read many pages of this thread and am getting a bit lost I confess! Would it be possible to list all the tubes in the F95 family that have been discovered since the original list? Oh and I have a question for the experts; what is the difference between the D and the F versions of the Tesla?

Have you checked page 77 there all there 

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #10,401 of 13,432
Thanks. It was easy to overlook...there are a lot of pages! That list is a bit bewildering but I will soldier thru it. Since I am using the F95 as preamp driver tubes, some of those probably are not compatible. As it is, there are still enough choices to make me crazy and just a bit poorer. I am on the lookout for another seller of the Tungsol 6485, as they clearly best the Vosktod and don't require a really tiresome lengthy break in.After 10-12 hours they come on song. I am intensely curious about the Tesla's that should be in the mailbox today. Quality control? Sound? Hopefully 57' was a vintage year.
ps I still don't know the difference between the D,V and F versions of this Tesla tube.

Sep 26, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #10,402 of 13,432

mine yesterday I had it on for over 10 hours hooked up to a speaker and set to high impedance and it got pretty hot. the 62's 6ah6 is hot to the touch and when I change back to the T1.2 headphone it is pouring with warmth. not sure if this is the "tube sound" but it's a big different when I use solid state right after. but overall it's pretty quiet nothing more than the MKIII's ground loop sound. mine is about over 20 hours now. again any vacuum tube if you tap my finger on it you can hear the glass sound. not sure why but fun to play with sometimes.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #10,403 of 13,432
Is there any particular thing you must pay attention to when using the mk3 or mk4? My steps are like this: turn on the amp at 0 volume and no headphones plugged in, let it warm, plug in hp and turn up the volume. Is that ok?

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #10,404 of 13,432
Is there any particular thing you must pay attention to when using the mk3 or mk4? My steps are like this: turn on the amp at 0 volume and no headphones plugged in, let it warm, plug in hp and turn up the volume. Is that ok?

The manual recommends you only plug / unplug your headphones when the Little Dot is powered off.

EDIT: Seems from what others have said, the manual is not right. Thanks to TrollDragon, MIKELAP and gibosi for being the great help around here they always are!!

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #10,405 of 13,432

For MK4, putting the volume to 0 when plugging in or out the headphone is better; otherwise, you will hear pop/click in the phones. 

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #10,406 of 13,432

On my MK IV I always turn the amp on and let it warm up first (a few minutes), then I check the volume is at 0 and plug in my headphones.
When shutting down, I turn the volume to zero, unplug the headphones and power off the amp.

I have done it this way since day one with the MK IV.

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #10,407 of 13,432

On my MK IV I always turn the amp on and let it warm up first (a few minutes), then I check the volume is at 0 and plug in my headphones.
When shutting down, I turn the volume to zero, unplug the headphones and power off the amp.

i think its good to have a load during start up and turn-off, and LD recommends the same. high impedance cans like the 600 & 650 are great for that. a 16 ohms load might not be the best though but the 300 works. 

these things are not 100% accurate so during turn on and turn-off it helps to have a high imp load to absorb some of the leaked power. else its building up and amped.

Sep 29, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #10,408 of 13,432

i think its good to have a load during start up and turn-off, and LD recommends the same. high impedance cans like the 600 & 650 are great for that. a 16 ohms load might not be the best though but the 300 works. 

these things are not 100% accurate so during turn on and turn-off it helps to have a high imp load to absorb some of the leaked power. else its building up and amped.

I agree with TrollDragon never turn an OTL  amp on or off with HP plugged in since the LITTLEDOT MK3 is an OTL amp I own a Woo Audio2 which is an OTL amp and this is also recommended by Jack Woo. and for my WA22 which is a TRANSFORMER COUPLED amp HP need to be plugged in                                                                                                                                                                             

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #10,409 of 13,432
  I agree with TrollDragon never turn an OTL  amp on or off with HP plugged in since the LITTLEDOT MK3 is an OTL amp I own a Woo Audio2 which is an OTL amp and this is also recommended by Jack Woo. and for my WA22 which is a TRANSFORMER COUPLED amp HP need to be plugged in                                                                                                                                                                             

well

the mk IV manual says this 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back