Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Oct 11, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #10,426 of 13,430
Hi, all. Please don't shoot me if I am asking wrong question at the wrong thread.
Any advice if I wanted to go for solid state tubes?

I currently have MK IV SE.
I use it at the office.
I found from googling there were solid state tubes and some people say they cannot replace real tubes.
But if it is reasonably good and will last a life time and hopefully use less electric, why not?
Has anyone tried solid state tubes?

There is Schiit LISST.
Would this work with MK IV SE?

Oct 14, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #10,428 of 13,430
Hey guys! I am new to tube amps and I am planning on picking up the LD Mk II currently on Massdrop. I am trying to decide between the tube upgrade options. Can anyone give some opinions/recommendations between JAN 5654, RTC 5654 and CV4010?

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #10,429 of 13,430
  Hey guys! I am new to tube amps and I am planning on picking up the LD Mk II currently on Massdrop. I am trying to decide between the tube upgrade options. Can anyone give some opinions/recommendations between JAN 5654, RTC 5654 and CV4010?

hi

mullard M8100 : Warm mellow sound with good dynamic and very nice low end And perfect choice for bright sounding headphones ( treble sensetive )

VOSHKOD 6ZH1P-EV : Warm tone but more bright than m8100 with nice dynamic and good impact on bass and overall smooth bright sound

GE JAN 5654W : bright and smooth near analytical , less impact on bass compare to m8100 and 6zh1p overall very similar to voshkod 

I haven't had much time to burn in tubes yet

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #10,430 of 13,430
In addition ( remembering these are my ears and a preamp, not the Little Dot) : Originally I thought the Voshkod was the best sounding, despite taking a hellishly long time to break in. It has been replaced in my personal hyrarchy however by two others. First up is an early set of Tung Sols (62') and close behind Nos Tesla (unobtanium unless you are very lucky).The latter are very smooth and warm and musical but less extended and spacious than the Tung Sol. They are what I imagine good Mullard to be. I have ordered some more Voshkod, earlier and perhaps slightly different. Persistant yes, in spite of knowing I have at least 120 hrs to make a judgement. Oh yes and both the Tung Sol and Tesla come on song within 20 hrs or so. Both are extreemly scarce at the moment 
frown.gif
and prices are going up sadly.

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #10,431 of 13,430
Guys, can we at least type the names of the tubes properly?

Voskhod is the correct spelling of the tubes with the Rocket Logo...

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #10,432 of 13,430
  Guys, can we at least type the names of the tubes properly?

Voskhod is the correct spelling of the tubes with the Rocket Logo...

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #10,435 of 13,430
  Looks like 6N6P-IR for me. Just found the power tube reviews on page 201. Thanks anyway.

More interesting stuff                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #10,436 of 13,430
Hi Mikelap, great guide to this big thread, no doubt the "ultimate reference" on LD amps tube rolling and mods, specially useful for the new guys discovering the amazing sonic potential of these amps. Of course, most of their questions are already covered somewhere here, but it is not easy to find answers browsing 700 pages of posts !! My personal experience in this thread was a great ride, beginning from zero, step by step, not only obtaining better sound each time, but learning a lot about tubes... I think is the way to go, every listener have his own preferences and will obtain great SQ for his headphones with just a little tube rolling, and this is what separate LD amps from others...they are designed for just that. Maybe we can call this "level 1" mods, the Yugos EF95 are "plug and play" and excellent tubes, but some EF92 and EF94 tubes are really nice and worth experimenting with, (with the socket strapping trick to avoid cumbersome jumper changes), for example Tung Sol 6485 (EF92), I got a NOS pair from 61', and they sound more lively, detailed and precise than the Yugos, a matter of taste and sinergy with your own gear. All this to say that there are no such thing as the "perfect tube" for your LD...

And Level 2 and 3 mods are another matter...(LOL)

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #10,438 of 13,430
I just bought a pair of 6ZH1P-EV, can't believe how good they sound comparatively to the stock ones. Why don't they sell it with them directly?

(I bought them from this seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/261485347066?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 , since the ones from yenaudio are quite a bit more expensive, I believe they're matched too)

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #10,439 of 13,430
  In addition ( remembering these are my ears and a preamp, not the Little Dot) : Originally I thought the Voshkod was the best sounding, despite taking a hellishly long time to break in. It has been replaced in my personal hyrarchy however by two others. First up is an early set of Tung Sols (62') and close behind Nos Tesla (unobtanium unless you are very lucky).The latter are very smooth and warm and musical but less extended and spacious than the Tung Sol. They are what I imagine good Mullard to be. I have ordered some more Voshkod, earlier and perhaps slightly different. Persistant yes, in spite of knowing I have at least 120 hrs to make a judgement. Oh yes and both the Tung Sol and Tesla come on song within 20 hrs or so. Both are extreemly scarce at the moment 
frown.gif
and prices are going up sadly.

i have been switching back and forth on the 62 FAA 6ah6 with viskrod and yugo 6hm5, i have 4 matched viskrod with 4 matching 6hm5. somehow i cannot go back to anything after the 62 FAA. thanks to your recommendations. it's the only tube that i like with the beyer t1.2. i also replaced the power tube with 6n6p-IR. not sure it needs breaking in but not much difference vs stock ones. which mine turned out to be made in 1970 6n6p. i think the IR didn't improve but made it worse but i will give it some time only spent 1 hour on it. the 1970 6n6p which comes with the LD MKiii works great with the FAA and after it is on for 8 hours the sound becomes extremely warm and it is quite additive. but i everytime that happens it's bed time i have to turn it off : (

the yugo and viskrod are quite bright. almost sound like bone stock solid state amp. so far i have no desire of trying any other tube other than the 62 FAA 6ah6. you said you found some secret antique tubes did it work out for you?

im just moving to a new home now and once settle down i will listen to music a lot more. but need to buy a computer desk first.

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #10,440 of 13,430
Yes I thought I had hit gold with a pair of NOS Teslas.Sadly not. They are warm and cozy and quite listenable but are lacking in "air"and space, So at present I am breaking in a pair of Voskhod with gold pins and supposedly a different internal composition. Weather or not this is true (a part from the gold pins which do appear genuine), unlike the previous set they sound better in the early stage of burn in so maybe...Unless somebody comes up with a yet to be discovered tube in this family, it appears that the Nos Tung Sol and the early versions of the Voskhod are indeed the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back