Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jan 22, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #8,898 of 13,434
I currently own pairs of Voshkhod 6J1P-EV from 1978, GE JAN 5654W from1988 (I think), and WE 408A.

I have not tried the WE 408A's yet but I was disappointed by the Voshkhods, which seem to be universally lauded here. I found them harsh and weak on low end. The GE JAN 5654W's were far better. 

I'm really skeptical about things like long burn-in times (sounds like audiophile placebo nonsense). I've spent about 20 hours on the Voshkhods and they still sound unpleasant. Does the year of production matter?

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #8,899 of 13,434
  I currently own pairs of Voshkhods from 1978, GE JAN 5654W from1988 (I think), and WE 408A.

I have not tried the WE408's yet but I was disappointed by the Voshkhods, which seem to be universally lauded here. I found them harsh and weak on low end. The GE JAN 5654W's were far better. 

I'm really skeptical about things like long burn-in times (sounds like audiophile placebo nonsense). I've spent about 20 hours on the Voshkhods and they still sound unpleasant. Does the year of production matter?

What headphones are you using?  From what I've read on here, different cans sometimes call for different tubes… Gibosi was schooling me on this just the other day, lol.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #8,900 of 13,434
  What headphones are you using?  From what I've read on here, different cans sometimes call for different tubes… Gibosi was schooling me on this just the other day, lol.

Beyer 880 DT Pro.

THe GE JAN 5654W's are a lot smoother in tone while the Voshkhods can sound shrill in the highs (even if they do seem to extend further). Also, Voshkhod 6J1P-EV's are dirt cheap from what I can tell (anywhere between $3-15 per pair), but so are GE JAN's.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #8,901 of 13,434

Beyer 880 DT Pro.

THe GE JAN 5654W's are a lot smoother in tone while the Voshkhods can sound shrill in the highs (even if they do seem to extend further). Also, Voshkhod 6J1P-EV's are dirt cheap from what I can tell (anywhere between $3-15 per pair), but so are GE JAN's.

Listen to your ears… they won't lie to you.  

If you are okay with spending a little money (and have patience to wait for the shipping) a lot of people are saying the end game tube for the LD is the C3g.  It's a Siemens tube, and you'll need an adapter and extender.  I can't tell you how good they are from experience yet, as I'm still waiting on my adapters, but the things people are saying on there about them would lead me to believe they might in fact kick ass.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #8,902 of 13,434
If you want to stick with the EF95s...I've found the Tung Sols 6AK5s to be a real nice for small $...Several guys mentioned the GE 6096 CT...I've got a pair of those, on the way, to try.

If you're willing to delve into the EF91/92s...The Mullards are renowned for their smooth/warm delivery...I like my CV131s a lot.

Lastly...I'm looking forward to trying the 6CB6As, 6HQ5s, and M8083s.

Basically...as evidenced by this thread...there is a BIG world of tube rolling possibilities with these LDs!

You can have a bit of fun/explore the soundscape for small money, really.

Good luck.

-Mark in St. Louis

Quote:

Beyer 880 DT Pro.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #8,903 of 13,434
Anyone have any thoughts regarding the MKIII or IV, compared to the MKII, in relation to doing some tube rolling???

TA
-Mark

Quote:
  Another question...Maybe for those who own, or have owned, both... Do you notice a major difference between the MKII, MKIII, and MKIV in performance...once the tube rolling starts???

I'm thinking of bringing my MKII to the office (would share space with a SS Schiit stack) and getting a MKIII or IV for home....Gotta put all these new tubes to use!

Thoughts???

TIA
-Mark

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #8,904 of 13,434
About the Voshkhods: I absolutely love these tubes. The higher mids sometimes get a very OVERrealistic sound; better than the real thing, so to speak.
The bass also goes VERY deep. I especially love how the deeper tones of string instruments sound with these, although I must say that after an evening of listening to '80s pop-music, the bass-guitars do get quite tiring since they get quite a bit emphasis.

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #8,906 of 13,434
  The Voskhods have a very long burn in time, in which the treble tames down. It can take 90 hours.

Is this pretty universally agreed upon? It seems like hocus pocus to me (like expensive cables or high-end op-amp rolling). I did notice burn-in affecting my GE JAN 5654W's but it only took 5-6 hours. How can another tube take almost 100 hours?

Also, here is a noob question: do I need to be playing sound in order to burn-in? Or just have the amp ON? Furthermore, do I need headphones connected if burn-in requires there to be a signal going to the amp?

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #8,907 of 13,434
  Is this pretty universally agreed upon? It seems like hocus pocus to me (like expensive cables or high-end op-amp rolling). I did notice burn-in affecting my GE JAN 5654W's but it only took 5-6 hours. How can another tube take almost 100 hours?

Also, here is a noob question: do I need to be playing sound in order to burn-in? Or just have the amp ON? Furthermore, do I need headphones connected if burn-in requires there to be a signal going to the amp?

As I understood, there has to be music playing, preferrably a bit above normal listening levels and I've read that you do need a headphone connected to the amp, but I'm not really sure why.

Also, people say you just should listen to the music when you're giving the tubes a burn-in, because of their limited life-span: it's a shame to waste listening time. :) Also keep about 8 hours continuous music as a max and then switch the amp off for a while to let the tubes cool down.

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #8,908 of 13,434

It is pretty much a common agreement for this tube. No hocus pocus. Some report burn in times of over 100 hours.

Burn in while playing music. Don't worry about listening to it though, these tubes will last you a long time.

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #8,909 of 13,434

It is pretty much a common agreement for this tube. No hocus pocus.

Burn in while playing music.

not sure of the exact reasoning, but guess would be, they are russian military/rocket tubes

yes
and yes, well actually, i know i listen to music

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #8,910 of 13,434
Hi Zeejet,

Your ears don't lie. Just as you, I was skeptical about burn in, but learned through experience that it is usually needed for new tubes. Different tubes need different times, and the Voskhod require more time than most, perhaps 110 hours. After this time they sound softer and more mellow, and there is less treble harshness.

Jlab earbuds has a special burn in track that plays as long as you want - link below.

I think that the industry standard for burn in time is 48 hours (if there is such a standard).

Some tubes change dramatically during burn in, others less, but I think that they all need it. Why? I think that some impurities in the tube need to burn off, and the tube has to stabilize.

http://www.jlabaudio.com/pages/audio-burn-in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back