Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jan 10, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #8,866 of 13,428
Was listening to my MK3 with 6SN7Russian tubes equi.  and  C3g's  and comparing against my WA6 with Brimar 5Z4G rectifier  and RCA 6SN7 gray glass when you switch over from amp to amp over and over and cant hear a difference i guess there very similar sounding lol . One thing im very shure of  6SN7 AND C3G'S dont like 25 ohms Denons lots of distortion .but with the WA6 with swith on for low impedance HP no distortion but to much bass this is with the JOE SPILGOE Hi Res track sounds much much better with the HD800 not much love for the poor Denon's anymore 

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #8,867 of 13,428
  Was listening to my MK3 with 6SN7Russian tubes equi.  and  C3g's  and comparing against my WA6 with Brimar 5Z4G rectifier  and RCA 6SN7 gray glass when you switch over from amp to amp over and over and cant hear a difference i guess there very similar sounding lol . One thing im very shure of  6SN7 AND C3G'S dont like 25 ohms Denons lots of distortion .but with the WA6 with swith on for low impedance HP no distortion but to much bass this is with the JOE SPILGOE Hi Res track sounds much much better with the HD800 not much love for the poor Denon's anymore 

Yeah, low Z cans are not good with 6SN7 power tubes for MKIII / MKIV but with higher impedance cans, they shine. Should be good with Sennheisers and Beyerdynamics, matches the HD800 well. With the MKIVSE, the 6SN7 power tubes light up more, meaning sound more lively .
Yeah, I experience the exactly same choice between the Hifiman and the HD800 as you with Denons or HD800. Surprising findings comparing MKIII and theWA6!

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #8,868 of 13,428
Hi A11,

Like you, I enjoyed the 6SN7 as power tubes. However, replacing them with 2.5A tubes (6AS7/6080) made a big difference - more of everything, especially bass impact.

Using these tubes necessitates using special adapters, an external power supply and voltage regulator, but IMHO, it is well worth the extra effort.

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #8,869 of 13,428

I also noticed this. My denon 5k's and my other low impedence cans produced some pretty bad bass distortion when using 6sn7's and 6f8g's but with the 650's they sounded great (unless I cranked up the volume to 80%+). After replacing the 6sn7's with the 5687's the sound wasn't much different yet I was able to use low impedence cans without any distortion even at really high listening levels which makes them the better tubes in the LD in my opinion :)

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #8,870 of 13,428

I also noticed this. My denon 5k's and my other low impedence cans produced some pretty bad bass distortion when using 6sn7's and 6f8g's but with the 650's they sounded great (unless I cranked up the volume to 80%+). After replacing the 6sn7's with the 5687's the sound wasn't much different yet I was able to use low impedence cans without any distortion even at really high listening levels which makes them the better tubes in the LD in my opinion :)

I noticed this only with the 6SN7  as power tubes with other power tubes no problems

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #8,871 of 13,428
funnily my T50RP distorts too with the 6SN7 but i plugged in some low ohm IEMs and they are just fine. Thinking about getting an SS amp for all my low ohm HPs.

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #8,873 of 13,428
6F8G are a lovely tube but can be occasionally  noisey in comparison to many 6SN7GTs. When the latter were made, they had really nailed the manufacture and consistency making the distortion fron 6SN7GTs both low and consistent in comparison to all mediuum mu tubes, as well as noise.

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #8,874 of 13,428

Yeah, low Z cans are not good with 6SN7 power tubes for MKIII / MKIV but with higher impedance cans, they shine. Should be good with Sennheisers and Beyerdynamics, matches the HD800 well. With the MKIVSE, the 6SN7 power tubes light up more, meaning sound more lively .
Yeah, I experience the exactly same choice between the Hifiman and the HD800 as you with Denons or HD800. Surprising findings comparing MKIII and theWA6!

Again i must say this about MK3 sounding similar to WA6  i achieve this using MK3 as preamp with Burson Conductor

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #8,875 of 13,428
It's been a pretty quiet week here recently.... But I have more tubes for you! :)

Received an Amperex 6463 and a Thomson 5687 here recently:

Below, to the left, the Heelen-made Amperex 6463. Even though it sports a halo getter, it appears that this tube was manufactured in 1959 - "Cd1 ⊿9G". For comparison purposes, an early 1960's Telefunken 6463 on the right.

Below to the left, a Thomson 5687, made in France - "7202" = February, 1972. For comparison purposes, an early 1960's Sylvania 5687 on the right.

I am pleased to note that both light up and play, but plan to burn them in for a while before I do any serious listening....

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #8,877 of 13,428
It is my understanding that Glenn is currently working on a 300B and my OTL is next in the queue, so I hope to have it soon. That said, Glenn has a full-time job so building amps has to be squeezed into his evenings and weekends.....

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #8,878 of 13,428
Re Sylvania 6SN7WGT brown base as power tubes: It seems these tubes need more time to burn in than I have given so far, as the stage seems to extend now a bit more and the sound becomes more detailed. Overall, it also sounds gentler than before, still with more trebleand bass presentation than the Raytheon 6SN7WGT brown base. This story may continue, lol but I am more inclined to the Sylvania now and it really does sound damned good with the MKIVSE and C3GS driver tubes.

Quote:
  It's been a pretty quiet week here recently.... But I have more tubes for you! :)

Received an Amperex 6463 and a Thomson 5687 here recently:

Below, to the left, the Heelen-made Amperex 6463. Even though it sports a halo getter, it appears that this tube was manufactured in 1959 - "Cd1 ⊿9G". For comparison purposes, an early 1960's Telefunken 6463 on the right.

Interesting, the 6463 has 0.6 as opposed to 0.9 A heater current of the 5687 and looks pin compatible.Found on Audioasylum that they should sound better than the 5687 and there are also significantly fewer offers on ebay. Curious to hear your LDI driver tube impressions.
  Hi A11,

Like you, I enjoyed the 6SN7 as power tubes. However, replacing them with 2.5A tubes (6AS7/6080) made a big difference - more of everything, especially bass impact.

Using these tubes necessitates using special adapters, an external power supply and voltage regulator, but IMHO, it is well worth the extra effort.

Hi Mordy, Yes thanks, I am aware of that. I consider to rather upgrade to an amp that was designed to use tubes with specifications exceeding those of the LD, just because these would be so much away from the original design that using a purpose build amp would properly give me back in sound what those tubes cost and their potential.

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #8,879 of 13,428

Interesting, the 6463 has 0.6 as opposed to 0.9 A heater current of the 5687 and looks pin compatible.Found on Audioasylum that they should sound better than the 5687 and there are also significantly fewer offers on ebay. Curious to hear your LDI driver tube impressions.

Unfortunately, the 5687 and 6463 are not pin compatible. The 6350, 6463 and ECC813 all have the same pin-out, and again, it is different than the 5687, 6900, 7044 and E182CC/7119.

To date, I have found 6463 manufactured by GE, Philips (Heerlen) and Telefunken (Ulm). The vast majority of 6463 currently available on eBay are GEs. Telefunkens and Philips do popup from time to time, but are not common. I purchased the Philips from Brent Jessee for $25, which seems pretty reasonable to me. However, Brent Jessee charges $30 to ship overseas, so those living in Europe may want to see if they can find these European tubes on that side of the pond.

While I haven't had a chance to listen closely to the Philips 6463, I can say that the Telefunken is a terrific tube. The transparency and imaging are exceptional which I believe is somewhat due to the Telefunken's airy highs. I briefly compared a 1975 Reflector 6N32P with the Telefunken, and that airiness was the most noticeable difference.

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #8,880 of 13,428
  It is my understanding that Glenn is currently working on a 300B and my OTL is next in the queue, so I hope to have it soon. That said, Glenn has a full-time job so building amps has to be squeezed into his evenings and weekends.....

I'am interested in his amp i want a amp that can use all/most of my existing tubes.

Thanks gibosi! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back