Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Jan 5, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #8,836 of 13,434

OMG What did you do to that poor little amp...
eek.gif

Sacrilege

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #8,838 of 13,434

OMG What did you do to that poor little amp...
eek.gif

Sacrilege

OK
I don't know if anybody here will ever believe me but I did see that running my amp 24/7, I don't mean with music I just mean leaving it on, created a tremendous improvement in the sound even with the stock tubes. So consequently I wanted to make it 24/7 capable. I started this thread which can be found here to ask if adding  cooling holes to a chassis would thoroughly break the shielding and got advice that it would not. They explained shielding was frequency dependent and I could create holes that would still shield at audio frequencies.

My amp looks a lot better than in that particular picture I have covered the holes with window screening. And put a computer fans on top of where most of the holes are in a rubber mate food container so that I might constantly forced air through the amplifier case to make sure that all of the critical parts of this amplifier stay cool enough for 24/7 operation.

As I have explained in the above posting I found that using $15 worth of 6N8S power tubes and 6HM5 EC900 driving tubes I get as spectacular sounding amplifier once I leave it on for 24 hours.

I am now looking to see if there is some other amp that will let you use the tubes I just mentioned without such a radical modification. I mean is there amp that will let you use these tubes, which you are now my tubes of choice, with out modification in a on 24/7   mode because I do not know if anybody will ever believe me but to me leaving these tubes on 24 seven makes a tremendous improvement in the sound. I can't believe I get such good sound through my little dot MK IV amplifier and my Sennheiser 600 HD headphones. In my opinion I have a tremendously good sounding headphone amplifier set up as long as I do not turn it off.

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #8,839 of 13,434
  OK
I don't know if anybody here will ever believe me but I did see that running my amp 24/7, I don't mean with music I just mean leaving it on, created a tremendous improvement in the sound even with the stock tubes. So consequently I wanted to make it 24/7 capable. I started this thread which can be found here to ask if adding  cooling holes to a chassis would thoroughly break the shielding and got advice that it would not. They explained shielding was frequency dependent and I could create holes that would still shield at audio frequencies.

My amp looks a lot better than in that particular picture I have covered the holes with window screening. And put a computer fans on top of where most of the holes are in a rubber mate food container so that I might constantly forced air through the amplifier case to make sure that all of the critical parts of this amplifier stay cool enough for 24/7 operation.

As I have explained in the above posting I found that using $15 worth of 6N8S power tubes and 6HM5 EC900 driving tubes I get as spectacular sounding amplifier once I leave it on for 24 hours.

I am now looking to see if there is some other amp that will let you use the tubes I just mentioned without such a radical modification. I mean is there amp that will let you use these tubes, which you are now my tubes of choice, with out modification in a on 24/7   mode because I do not know if anybody will ever believe me but to me leaving these tubes on 24 seven makes a tremendous improvement in the sound. I can't believe I get such good sound through my little dot MK IV amplifier and my Sennheiser 600 HD headphones. In my opinion I have a tremendously good sounding headphone amplifier set up as long as I do not turn it off.

I have never tried running an amp 24/7 but I don't see how it would improve sound quality as tubes reach their max temperature only after a relatively short period of time (also depends what tubes they are) but as for the 6AS7's and 6SJ7's I use I would say they have reached max temperature in under 30 mins and leaving them on longer doesn't change the sound at all.

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #8,840 of 13,434
  Maybe i didnt say this right ,I am not saying its not a good amp i like this amp very much . it just  a question of getting some reputation ,credibility first because i never heard of Feliks audio before the Elise,so a more indept look of the amp is warranted i would say before committing to buying  the amp   and that starts with a look of  internal parts quality ects.fixing little thingd like the cover of the amp so it will accept 6080 tubes without extenders  that will come in time im shure .Bottom line is  if they want to sell there amp they wont have a choice but to show there stuff. .A good example  is our Littledot  amps at first im shure potential buyers were not to enthusiastic about Littledot  amps but eventually they gain a good reputation and if you want to sell your amp its almost a shure thing .Thats the way i see it  .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               .
beerchug.gif

Hi M.,

As mordy says, these guys have been around a fair while and have built some very attractive (and reliable by all accounts) equipment.

Of course new models can sometimes have 'bugs' - but thank goodness there are pioneers in the world...'twould be a VERY sorry place otherwise, lol!
wink_face.gif
. (There are those who lead, and those who follow...one chooses one's own path... -  there was no-one more cautious than myself in days gone by, but I have recently discovered the sheer joy of taking more risks...regardless of the occasional disappointment. But I respect your own standpoint, mon ami ...CHEERS! 
beerchug.gif
).

Edit.   ps.  Enlarging the hole to accommodate the 6080 would not be very aesthetically pleasing, I think...given the socket has quite a deep recess, an extender is probably the better option IMHO...

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #8,841 of 13,434

I sincerely doubt that there is a commercially available amp designed to operate 24/7. Unlike military and industrial applications, there is simply no real consumer demand for 24/7 in a head-phone amp, and given the extra costs to design and build such a product, it would likely fail in the marketplace....

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #8,842 of 13,434

I sincerely doubt that there is a commercially available amp designed to operate 24/7. Unlike military and industrial applications, there is simply no real consumer demand for 24/7 in a head-phone amp, and given the extra costs to design and build such a product, it would likely fail in the marketplace....

Well then will you know offhand if the pen out for the Yugoslavian  6HM5 EC900 driving tubes have a few or many commercially made adapters to  more commercially available amplifier sockets than the 7 pin triode socket they use or is 7 pin triode sockets comment in commercially available headphone amplifiers?

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #8,844 of 13,434
hi guys I know that this thread it's not about the bravo ocean but I can't find any other threat about the bravo ocean the is active like this thread,I need some tube recommendations for this amp.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #8,845 of 13,434
hi guys I know that this thread it's not about the bravo ocean but I can't find any other threat about the bravo ocean the is active like this thread,I need some tube recommendations for this amp.

The Bravo Ocean uses 12AU7 tubes which are lower gain versions of the 12AT7, I advise you to look into a 12AT7 thread or best of all start your own Bravo Ocean thread. You won't find much 12AU7 information here, besides it is a totally different amp.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #8,846 of 13,434

And I would add that the 12AU7 is used as a driver for the Crack. So you might find some info on the Crack thread regarding this tube.

Good luck!

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #8,847 of 13,434
  Well then will you know offhand if the pen out for the Yugoslavian  6HM5 EC900 driving tubes have a few or many commercially made adapters to  more commercially available amplifier sockets than the 7 pin triode socket they use or is 7 pin triode sockets comment in commercially available headphone amplifiers?

I am not aware of any amp that uses the 6HM5. We stumbled across this tube when we were searching for 7-pin tubes that would work in the LD, and I suspect that the vast majority of the people who buy this tube are LD owners. So no, to my knowledge, there are no adapters to allow this tube to be used in any other amp. And very frankly, in my opinion, there is no compelling reason to use the 6HM5, as even cheap double triodes are better.

Edit: That said, it is very likely that the 6HM5 will work in any amp that is designed to use the 6AK5.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #8,849 of 13,434

Also the Bravo Ocean runs on a 24V adapter so the tube in it only has enough power to make it conduct.
It is more along the lines of a SS amp with a tube for looks IMHO.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #8,850 of 13,434

Yes indeed! I had forgotten that the Vali uses a sub-miniature triode-strapped 6088. A great little amp! But no tube rolling! :frowning2:

I would have owned it instead of the little dot MK2 2.0 if it had rolling,Maybe some one could some how mode it in a way to accept different vacuum tubes with a special pin slot or wired in a way to work,maybe with addition mods to the design to make it work with 8 pins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back