Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Nov 9, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #8,206 of 13,434
Made in Great Britain, British Made, Made in Holland and Foreign Made are all common on UK sold Mullards. Made in England however is more commonly used by MOV and Mazda etc but Mullard did also label some like this I think.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #8,207 of 13,434
  Hi ToTje, and welcome ¡  

This thread is certainly instructive,  and we can learn a lot from the more advanced users.   I was also a "newbie" in 2013, and  opted for a "step by step" approach,   experimenting with certain  "recomended" tubes in my LDMKIII,   and I must say that the advice from the people here was  excellent.   This thread is chronological, it starts as a guide for basic tube rolling  back in 2011 (¡) and then evolves steadily  into more advanced and radical options.   You need to search this thread as I did, but to save you some time,  I would suggest  a "Level 1" upgrade by   replacing the standard 6AK5 tubes (EF95 family) with  the Tung-Sol 6485 (EF92 family) or the very similar TS 6AH6WA tubes.  The Sylvania 6AH6WA is also excellent, and you can get these quite cheaply on Ebay.   The difference in SQ is inmediate,  the 6485, a pentode type,  is a more neutral and "quiet" tube, very detailed, but needs appropiate "burn in" to sound its best.  Take your time and look for NOS mil spec tubes.  

The EF92 tubes require changing the internal jumpers in the LD, but a much practical solution is to "strap" the 2-7 pins in the socket with a little piece of wire. This is easy to do, and is explained in detail in this thread.   Curiously,   now the consensus here for the best  "plug and play" driver tube goes for the EI Yugo 6HM5 (tall bottle) which is a EF95 variant.  I am waiting for the mail to deliver mine, and is also a cheap tube.   Now you have two options to play with ¡   About upgrading the power tubes, see post 3007, page 201.  Frankly, I am perfectly happy with my  6N6P standard tubes.  Maybe I am lucky, because my LD came standard with 6N6P 1978 gold grid,  highly recommended in the review,  I do agree, great sounding tubes across the whole  sonic spectrum.    Have to compare with the 6N6PI-IR special version.  Summing up, lets stay in level 1, so  play with the drivers and do not touch the powers....for now  

Wow, thanks for this extensive reply!
biggrin.gif
 I'll surely look into it. At this moment I already have pentode tubes: French NOS RTC 5654RT tubes. I've seen them mentioned in this topic. I believe someone couldn't wait till they arrived and was very curious what they sounded like, and once he received them, they were a huge disappointment for him (if I remember correctly).
I wish I could find more about the general characteristics of my current tubes and how they compare to for instance the ones you mention here (and others that are advised in this thread).
If I want to try out different tubes, I prefer using some that have a very different sound, so I can decide what I like better. 
smile.gif
 With google I can't find anything bout how these sound.
I don't really understand those families of tubes yet, but seeing that the number 5654 only appears in the EF95 family, I guess mine belong to that one. However, I read that there are huge differences in sound in that family, so I still don't know which ones these can be compared with. 
tongue.gif
 I understand Mullard and RTC are the same, and it seems the 5654RT also is known as 6AK5.

Looking at the characters on the power tubes in my LD, they appear to be russian (Plus the "CCCP" is a dead giveaway).
I see:
6H6П
VI-73 (but the "-" is a pengaton, which I can't type)
And then a load of characters that I really can't type.
I'll check out post 3007, page 20 for the power tubes. 

Edit: looks like the 6H6П is the standard 6H6P. My LD was upgraded with different tubes, but it seems that the power tubes are still the original ones then.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #8,208 of 13,434

IEC Mullard 6AU6 , not NOS but tested very strong (no problem at $1.50 each),  and I really enjoyed how they sounded, very musical, very nice,  very special, with strong and deep bass, in fact deeper bass  than my reference Tung-Sols 6485.   A true gift at the price.   Now for the experts, are  marked "made in England" and it arouses suspicion, the Mullards normally say "made in Great Britain". I also learned that  latest production IEC Mullards (late 70s.) were in fact made in the U.S.  However, the tubes have etched codes as all Mullards have, top line 1022 652 and bottom line 2G5 || 199.  Deciphering this is not easy,  I have no idea of the date, but the G5 code and the parallel vertical lines indicate that these were made at the Loewe Opta plant by Valvo in Hamburg, Germany,  for Mullard.  Now that explains the "made in England" anomaly.  Not  made in England, but in Germany.  Interesting discovery,  just try to find a Valvo 6AU6, it will cost you perhaps 40 or 50 dollars each....if you can find one.  This is a very entertaining hobby, indeed.

NOS Sylvania JAN-CHS 6AH6WA.......... 

I don't think your IEC Mullards were actually manufactured by Mullard. Below is the genuine article. Notice the two square holes and the round hole in the plates. Also, these tubes bear etched Mullard tube codes on the side, close to the base:

Wd3 (Wd = EF94/6AU6, 3 = revision number)
B2K3 (manufactured in Mullard's Blackburn factory in 1962)

I am not sure where yours were manufactured. Rebranding was very common back in the day... Will take a look at my stash of 6AU6 and see if I can find a match.

And the Sylvania 6AH6 is very interesting. I never came across a pair of Sylvanias, only GE and Tung-Sol, and again, I wonder if yours are rebrands....

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #8,209 of 13,434
  IEC Mullard 6AU6 , not NOS but tested very strong (no problem at $1.50 each),  and I really enjoyed how they sounded, very musical, very nice,  very special, with strong and deep bass, in fact deeper bass  than my reference Tung-Sols 6485.   A true gift at the price.   Now for the experts, are  marked "made in England" and it arouses suspicion, the Mullards normally say "made in Great Britain". I also learned that  latest production IEC Mullards (late 70s.) were in fact made in the U.S.  However, the tubes have etched codes as all Mullards have, top line 1022 652 and bottom line 2G5 || 199.  Deciphering this is not easy,  I have no idea of the date, but the G5 code and the parallel vertical lines indicate that these were made at the Loewe Opta plant by Valvo in Hamburg, Germany,  for Mullard.  Now that explains the "made in England" anomaly.  Not  made in England, but in Germany.

IEC was Mullard's US distributor. Their use of the brand was somewhat liberal to say the least, so you never know what you have – unless you do know.

In this case, I believe, the answer is Brimars. There is a bit of a problem interpreting 2G5 as a Philips code because 2G indicates a type which doesn't match. Brimar codes are similar enough to cause confusion. In fact, the code looks like a Brimar code in the photo. 

So, this time, the "made in England" is not a lie. 
normal_smile .gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #8,210 of 13,434
  I will compare to 6SN7 next month when i have some money to buy a batch of tubes as the adapters are on their way from china.

Hi, do you have the link to the adapter (I found one on ebay but I'm not sure if it's the correct one) ?
Anybody knows if the 6SN7 adapters works also for 6SL7 / 6N9S ? And would these tubes be comparable, soundwise, to the 6SN7 ?

I found some 6N9S at home, form previous test on driver adapters, and maybe I can re-use them as power tubes.

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #8,211 of 13,434
hi vic, gibosi was so kind to look them up for me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-6SN7-TO-6CG7-6FQ7-tube-adapter-for-you-amp-/191082280257?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-6SN7-to-ECC88-Vacuum-tube-socket-adapter-socket-converter-/291181600224?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/two-Adapters-6SN7-6N1P-6N1-tubes-SUB-/250751485737?

and another quote from gibosi:

No they are definitely not the same. While they all have octal bases with the same pinout, they are otherwise very different. The 6SL7's heater draws 0.3A. The 6SN7's heater draws 0.6A. And the 6AS7's heaters draws 2.5A.

In terms of the LD, the 6SL7 does not need an external heater PS. The 6SN7 needs an external PS if used as a driver, but not as a power tube. And the 6AS7 needs an external PS if used as a driver or a power tube.

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #8,212 of 13,434
Hi vic2vic,

The same adapter that works for 6SN7 will work just fine for 6SL7 and Russian equivalents. I found the 6SN7 having more heft than the 6SL7 types; the 6SL7 sounded more light weight and elegant.

It could very well be a case of how to best pair these octals as power tubes with driver tubes for the best synergy.  Personally, I prefer the 6SN7 because of the better bass presentation. However, IMHO nothing beats the 6AS7/6080 tubes for real impact, detail, and slam in the bass,

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #8,213 of 13,434
I find it fascinating that we can have very similar impressions of a tube, in this case the 5687, even though our equipment is very different. The first quote is mine re using them as driver tubes:

great and exquisitely detailed mid bass, low bass is very strong, great mid range and beautiful highs. Wide 3D sound stage, pinpoint imaging etc etc.

reveals new details and distinct layers in familiar recordings.

Here is Superdux impressions using them as power tubes:

The 5687 as power tubes seem a bit bass pronounced.They are also nicely detailed and give weaker sounding driver tubes new life.

Voices are more distinguishable, there's more spatial layering, some more bass and definitely more detail.The sound is more crisper.

The next step is to pair them with the right power or driver tubes....

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #8,214 of 13,434
   Looking at the characters on the power tubes in my LD, they appear to be russian (Plus the "CCCP" is a dead giveaway).
I see:
6H6П
VI-73 (but the "-" is a pengaton, which I can't type)

If you are wondering, the pentagon means that the tubes were made by NEVZ-Soyuz in Novosibirsk. VI = month, 73 = year.

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #8,215 of 13,434

If you are wondering, the pentagon means that the tubes were made by NEVZ-Soyuz in Novosibirsk. VI = month, 73 = year.

Ahhhh thanks! Yeah I already thought '73 must be the year.

Anyway, I understand that these are quite ordinary, I'm checking up on the tips I got here for replacing the other tubes. Might as well replace these too! 
tongue.gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #8,216 of 13,434
  OK folks... bearing in mind my previous statements, here goes (my) C3g adapter-making guide.

I'm sorry if it may appear somewhat long-winded but trust me, there are a few things that can trip you up and so need extra care (hence the unreliability of those Chinese ones!) - I had to learn some of them the hard way...you don't have to, hopefully!

First, some of the main tools you'll need :
Plus vise, of course...and preferably some kind of 'helping hands' gizmo.   
Note the pliers are LONG-NOSED, and small watch repair tools are invaluable.

Now to the parts :

Pic#1...2 pcs cut aluminium (preferably, as non-conductive)         Pic#2...  2 LOCTAL sockets - I suggest you buy 4 or more, just

tubing - internal diameter 26.5mm approx. I painted mine...    in case! They're not too expensive from the Far East...
Length about 25mm

Pic#3...Stiff plastic sheet (I used an old food container!) to       Pic#4...Cut lengths of wire that form the pins - shown here
                         act as pin wire guide/holder.                              bare wire (high-quality silver coated copper, or 925 Sterling
                                                                                                    silver if you want to 'push the boat out'!). These are part-covered
                                                                                                    with Teflon (PTFE) tubing - 2mm internal diameter. If your
                                                                                                    amp/extender sockets are well-used and getting a loose fit,
                                                                                                   I suggest 1.2mm wire. If still tight, 1mm should be OK. You may
                                                                                                   prefer to use plastic coated wire (but good quality, solid).

For later reference, these are numbered 1 to 7 from the left,
                                                                                                   and AT THE LD END!

Construction :

To remove the socket from its holder, I find it easiest to place in the vise (vice!) and lever up the lugs first with a small watch-repair screwdriver, then finish with a slightly larger one...but be as gentle as possible, the ceramic is surprisingly brittle! :

Cut narrow strips of masking tape and wrap around the socket's edge, then mark the pin numbers on it - the numbers can be seen (very faintly!) on the underside, or just remember they run LEFT TO RIGHT CLOCKWISE, #1 starting to the left from the central indent - AS YOU SEE IT, looking down at the underside of the socket. It pays to check, check and check again all through the construction to make sure you don't invert those numbers!

If you have removed the tube from its canister and haven't glued the metal base back on, you will want to use just the base for the rest of the process and I suggest you secure down the socket's pin holders with more tape, as they can protrude up during construction - you can just see an example of this in the above photo. For others, the contained tube will be inserted and will then reduce this tendency.

Ref. pic#2. The socket's centre metal guide has an extension for a ground connection that we don't use, so needs to be removed (as seen in photo)...just hold in long-nosed pliers and bend back and forth, it soon snaps off...Also, as the tube is held EXTREMELY tightly by the guide, I personally open it up a bit by using the pliers as shown below - but the choice is yours! If you do, be very careful once again not to use too much force. The narrow masking tape (with the pin numbers marked on it) around the socket's edge gives some protection.

Now with the whole tube (or just metal base, as below) inserted into the socket, we need to insulate the centre exposed metal parts. I find using the removable fixing 'putty' (ours called 'BLU-TAK') the simplest method, as it is also good for sealing the small holes around the pin connectors (to prevent seepage of the epoxy resin later) :

Then, I like to prime the connector tabs with solder.

Now we need to prepare the wires as per pic#4...to make life a bit easier, I have shown the rough shapes they can be bent to, remembering the numbers relate to the LD end, 1 to 7, left to right (of course I should have arranged them as at the C3g end, since that's where they're soldered - a senior moment, lol! So PLEASE keep referring to the equivalent C3g number when positioning for solder).
The wire lengths should be roughly as : (LD) pins #3,4,5&6 - 35mm;  #1 - 32mm; #2 - 38mm; #7 - 39mm. Plus you need a short piece to connect C3g pin tabs 2 & 7 inside the socket.

Oh dear...am running out of time and nowhere near finished, so I'll have to part post this and continue after dinner - sorry! (If you haven't already given up anyway!
wink.gif
...(Haven't found how to just save work here, yet...). So BFN...

Right, that's dinner out of the way so it's back to work.

So with wires at the ready - those with conventional wire will of course need to bare the bent (solder) ends, and strip to leave about 10mm covering beyond these ends (the photos will give you a rough idea) - I find it useful to also prime the bent ends with a little solder.

Now it's time to solder the wires to the socket tabs...and this is where those 'helping hands' flexible grips come in REAL handy ('scuse the pun!). Remembering to CAREFULLY convert the wires' LD pin numbers to the C3g equivalent, solder them so as they all SPREAD OUTWARDS, as per the photo - the idea being that when you push the soldered tabs forward they will be close to the required new position (with some manipulation needed later, that is!). And remember the short 2-7 C3g internal connecting wire will join with that to the LD at C3g #2  :

The pin routing is as follows  :

LD    C3g

1   -   6
     2   -   5
     3   -   8
     4   -   1
     5   -   3
     6   -   4
     7   -   2
              7 connected to 2 inside socket

If you haven't already, I now suggest you cover the tube canister also (not shown above) with masking tape, for protection from any resin yet to come!

Next, it's time to push forward (and over where necessary) the soldered tabs, making sure the joins are really secure - the pushing and pulling will soon show up any that aren't!
By studying carefully just where they need to go to match the LD pin positions, hopefully you won't find it too hard to manipulate the wires to roughly where needed, and the long-nosed pliers will be vital in the bending needed to finally get the positions just right.

A bit more of an idea can be got from holding the LD pin holder (more info on it below) above the socket as a guide  :

nb...don't forget to mark the correct corresponding numbers on the underside of the plastic, because when you look at the underneath for positioning it's easy to get confused due to the 'inversion' factor! KEEP CHECKING the C3g numbers are going to the correct LD target numbers...you can't be too careful...

Better late than never, a look at these pin holder/guides - ref. pic#3. Although other items can be used - like cut pieces of circuit board or 7-pin straighteners, if you can find them - because of the need for gaps to pour in the resin, I have found it fairly easy to cut to shape pieces of thin but stiff plastic (like that used in food containers).
As in the photo, this can be done by drawing a circle to the same diameter as the inside of the case, marking the pin positions in the middle (for example by dabbing some ink/paint to the ends of an old tube and applying, or making a paper stencil of the same size and pushing the pins through to make the required holes for stencilling onto the plastic), then drawing the triangle to just clear the holes. Now drill the holes (2mm drill bit for 1.2mm wire, and perhaps a 1.5mm bit for 1mm wire, you can always increase the size if necessary) - keeping as vertical as possible. Finish by cutting it out (carefully, please, if using a Stanley knife!), and trim to fit inside the case.

(Will post this last section before it freezes on me again, and continue after...)

Right now...where was I?...can't blame the page for freezing on me (again!)...wouldn't blame you either...but perhaps if you digest bits at a time and mull over what's involved for a few days, you might just feel like giving it a go...
wink_face.gif

Anyway, by now the pin wires are hopefully just about in position enough to work through the holes in the guide - cutting them to equal length (not too short, yet!) and using a pair of tweezers should help, plus a good dose of patience. Be ABSOLUTELY SURE you have aligned the pins correctly through the holes...check, check and check again. At this point, when you push the guide down to its final resting place, just below the top of the case which is slid over and onto the socket, you will see just how near the middle you've managed to position everything (the case may just need a forceful push to sit flush on the socket - the degree will indicate how far out you may be). This will give you an indication of where you may need to do some last minute bending at the lower end of the wires to correct things, and with the case removed you will also see how true the wires are vertically...adjust to the best vertical you can manage  :

As you can see, I had some more adjusting to do!!

With all adjustments finished, you MUST make sure there is no metal to metal contact ANYWHERE...check especially where the soldered tabs are bent over the covered central dome - if necessary pack with more of the Blu-Tak (or equivalent). And where wires have to cross. Make sure also the casing is well clear of the bent tabs when placed onto the socket - if in any doubt at all, form a ring of insulating tape around them. While at it, check also the 'putty' sealing the gaps at the base of the pin connectors/tabs - it's probably come loose after all the manipulating...

It would be wise to check with a meter that you have continuity from socket to pins - this would also act as final confirmation you have routed the pin wires correctly. Failing this, at least make sure all the solder joints are still secure.

Slide the case back over, and while holding it flush to the socket wrap tightly with masking tape, making sure it seals well at the join.

Now it's time to prepare for filling with epoxy resin...

Oh dear, time has run against me again...afraid I shall have to finish this tomorrow.

Good night all (if you're still awake, that is!)...as I said earlier, please digest all this in bite-sized pieces...

OK...let's get this massive missive done and dusted, lol...

I suggest that if only the tube's metal base was used, as opposed to the whole thing, you check the top of the socket and make sure none of the pin connectors has been pushed up and standing proud - just push 'em back down if they have before filling with resin (you might also want to check the base is flush up to the socket - if not, remove and replace the masking tape while holding the base in hard...you don't want too much of a gap here, as the tube's pins are not very long).

And so, with the plastic pin guide/holder just below the case edge (and the pins hopefully looking fairly straight!), run some masking tape around them, flush with the case's edge   :

You're almost there now, folks...give yourselves a pat on the back for having got this far(!), and get mixing that 2-part epoxy resin. I suggest that unless you're used to working fast with the 'rapid' version, you use the ordinary type that takes longer to cure...you'll just have to be a bit more patient, lol! I use this type of 'glue' because it flows nicely into all the tight spaces inside the case and seals everything like almost nothing else can - and, like, PERMANENTLY once cured!...which is why it really is a good idea to do that checking with a multimeter before this irreversible stage (although you can always cut the case and smash the innards with a heavy hammer if worse comes to worse!!).
I find my tubes of resin - about 24 grams combined - enough to do the job, and I suggest you mix it in a small, shallow (but not too shallow), square or rectangular plastic container that will allow you to be fairly precise in pouring through the gaps formed by the pin guide (perhaps with the help of a small spatula or old screwdriver, for example). Filling to just about the top of the case should cover the guide and the small area of pins between it and the tape (hence the need to place the protecting tape FLUSH with the case edge) , thereby securely finalising the position of the pins.

When finally set, remove the ring of tape, making sure no resin has crept up the pins - if so, just remove with a Stanley knife. Then trim the pins to about 8mm (better a little more than less) and smooth the ends with a small file - preferably to a slight, rounded point, to aid insertion...(I find my wire cutter sometimes pushes out the edges - if so, make sure you remove the protrusions with extra filing).
All this will probably push the pins slightly out of position, so check with another pin guide; up against the base of an old tube; a 7-pin socket or straightener if you have one, and readjust if necessary.
If you have been working with bare hands all the while, there's likely to be a load of grease on those pins, so I suggest cleaning them with something like isopropyl alcohol, or white spirit followed by a damp cloth.

Now all that remains is to remove the masking tape -  while breathing a great sigh of relief! -  and plug the darned thing in...I suggest removing any extender and then plug the adapter into it, just in case a certain amount of 'wiggling' and careful use of force is needed - especially if the larger 1.2mm wire is used. Not only will this be easier away from the amp, but will reduce the strain on the amp's socket - I feel those sockets (and PCB) are not mounted all that strongly!. Those with the bare tube now need to be VERY careful when inserting into the adapter - not only re correct alignment into the metal base, but because it can be an extremely tight fit, and may need careful, but quite forceful, working in of the pins...so TAKE EXTRA CARE!

Hopefully all is well as you power up  - and they actually WORK?!...Whereupon you will, no doubt, wear the biggest smile (almost!) of your life...
biggrin.gif
... As I mentioned previously, all the better if you test first with a cheap used tube - just in case.

So there we have it...a project I don't doubt has put some (if not many!) of you off the whole idea...BUT...if you do have the basic skills necessary, it won't seem so daunting if you take your time and go over all that I have covered here a good few times, and allow yourself plenty of time to get all the necessary bits (and tools) together, and start making the various components slowly, one at a time - don't try to rush things...you may well become frustrated and disheartened. If necessary practice some of the procedures a few times to gain confidence - and hone your soldering skills as best you can. The end result will be MORE than worth it, when you can enjoy the magic of the C3g tube...not to mention the immense satisfaction from achieving such a goal.

I wish you all the very best in the event you do bite the bullet...at the very least, this has shown just what is involved in making these things, lol!
wink.gif

(Perhaps MIKELAP's offering will be more straightforward than mine...we wait with eager anticipation!).

CHEERS!

ps...By the way, if you didn't catch the finished article in a previous post, this is how they can look...:

Nice job on the tutorial probably longer to do than the adapters themseves lol i know mine did .It wont be shorter thats for shure theres alot more than meets the eye ,also waiting for tubes to test adapters to see if they work first .again nice job.                                                                        

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #8,217 of 13,434
[quote name="Johnnysound" url="/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-
 Frankly, I am perfectly happy with my  6N6P standard tubes.  Maybe I am lucky, because my LD came standard with 6N6P 1978 gold grid,  highly recommended in the review,  I do agree, great sounding tubes across the whole  sonic spectrum.    Have to compare with the 6N6PI-IR special version.  Summing up, lets stay in level 1, so  play with the drivers and do not touch the powers....for now  
[/quote]

Very nice summary indeed. However, the point of changing the power tubes has two reasons:
1. Just like Mordy, I believe the difference is greater than 15 %. This estimation comes from "old" times.
2. When rolling your driver tubes you will match them to your power tubes, consciently or not and if you have better and also slightly differently sounding power, tubes you will fit maybe a different driver tube. Also, you might find that differences between driver tubes become more apparent with better power tubes. Now, since there are more driver than power tubes, it makes sense to set the base alright, if that makes sense.

Hi A11,

I have only used the 5687 as a driver tube so cannot comment on using them as power tubes. Some people in the past used an all 5687 set up (driver and power tubes), and I think Superdux just tried using the 5687 as power tubes with good results as well.

I did try a number of 6N6P variants for power tubes, including the 6N6P-IR (but not the 6H30-DR). The consensus was that the best one is the so called "supertube" 6H30-DR which was incrementally better than the IR tube, but  not worth the considerable extra expense compared to the 6N6P-IR tube ($40/pair compared to $200/pair).

However, inexpensive 6SN7 octal tubes used as power tubes were found to be better than the supertube in the LD, and at a fraction of the cost. The next step up in power tubes are the 6AS7/6080 tubes. The main difference between all these different power tubes is how impactful the bass is reproduced, as well as adding layers of detail and depth in the sound stage - the latter applying to the 6AS7/6080 tubes.

There is a cliche that the power tubes only add some 15% of the sound compared to the driver tubes. Based on my personal experience they have a much greater impact, but only in synergy with the right driver tubes. With the right combination the power tubes have a great impact and change the entire sonic presentation. The difference, as an example, is between flat and soft, and full bodied and lively.

A Little Dot owner may be very pleased with the 6HM5 as a driver, and the 6N6P-IR as power tubes, but once you switch to the 5687 (or C3g which I haven't tried yet -coming) and 6AS7/6080 as power tubes, there is no turning back.  There is simply more of everything; more bass, more treble, more clarity - everything is beautifully balanced and sounds right.

Thanks Mordy, I agree with you in terms of all the tubes I have tried. For the rest, I have some rolling ahead of me. :wink:What I was getting at ultimately asling for the 5687: Could the 5687 be ranked on a similar level as the 6SN7?

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #8,218 of 13,434
Thanks Mordy, I agree with you in terms of all the tubes I have tried. For the rest, I have some rolling ahead of me. :wink:What I was getting at ultimately asling for the 5687: Could the 5687 be ranked on a similar level as the 6SN7?

Used as a driver, I would say yes. I find the Sylvania 5687WA to be very similar to a Sylvania 6SN7W. As I see it, the primary advantage of the 6SN7 is the variety. To the best of my knowledge, only 5 companies manufactured the 5687, all American, whereas the 6SN7 was manufactured by these same companies, plus several more American and a number of British, European and Russian companies. Further, there is the fact that the 6SN7 is still being manufactured today, so you have about 70 years of tubes to choose from. The variety is enormous. On eBay there are more than 3000 listings for 6SN7 compared to less than 400 for the 5687. The world of the 6SN7 is a tube roller's heaven. lol :)

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #8,219 of 13,434
  Nice job on the tutorial probably longer to do than the adapters themseves lol i know mine did .It wont be shorter thats for shure theres alot more than meets the eye ,also waiting for tubes to test adapters to see if they work first .again nice job.                                                                        

Thanks M...yep, quite a work-up to say the least!
wink.gif
...look forward to seeing your hard work...

And I just hope you don't have my bad luck at first blast-off, lol!

Really looking forward also to your impressions of the C3g...don't forget they get even better up to 50+ hrs burn-in if NOS...

ps. I like how you use those 'pin straighteners'...got some coming so I can see if there's enough gap for pouring my resin into the case - much easier than making own guide/holder!

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #8,220 of 13,434

Thanks M...yep, quite a work-up to say the least!
wink.gif
...look forward to seeing your hard work...

And I just hope you don't have my bad luck at first blast-off, lol!

Really looking forward also to your impressions of the C3g...don't forget they get even better up to 50+ hrs burn-in if NOS...

You would not believe the problems i had .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back