Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Nov 6, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #8,176 of 13,438
great tutorial hypnos!Thx for your contribution to the Tube Rolling Community!

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #8,177 of 13,438
  great tutorial hypnos!Thx for your contribution to the Tube Rolling Community!

Thanks superdux...and you certainly were very helpful in my resuming the project after the initial disastrous event!.. (No way could I have risked losing two more NOS C3GSs!!).
Whether it encourages anyone to have a go is another matter, and remains to be seen, lol!...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #8,178 of 13,438
Thanks TrollDragon..

Source is an iPad Air, with volume at roughly 60%. Connected to the amplifier via Evergreen cable 3.5mm TRS to RCA inputs
Dip switches are set at ON-ON, with volume at 92 (4 O'Clock). Output to HD650s. This is the second amplifier. The first amplifier only required volume setting of 35.
Your assessment...?

The second amplifier?

I'd try a gain of 5 and see what you think, right now you have it set to 3.

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #8,179 of 13,438
Tired of using extenders  on your LDMK3 time to break out the Dremel with cutting disk.Here's the result .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #8,180 of 13,438
Nov 6, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #8,181 of 13,438

That's cheating... 
tongue_smile.gif

Et voilà !                                                                                                                

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #8,182 of 13,438
Is the Headphone Amp on the Audiolab MDAC Solid State - I can switch between that and my Little Dot MK3 and compare with the tube sound?  I just got my new Matched Voskhod Gold pins Gold grid 6ZH1P-EV 6AK5 EF95 403B 5654 6J1 1975 NIB tubes, not the magical transformation I was hoping for from the stock ones, seemed quite harsh at first.

Been going through my music collection, I suppose the good news is they do sound different so there must be some that sound better. I'll give these a while to run in and let my ears get used to them, see if they improve. I have AKG 712's and the aforementioned DAC. Any hints for my next purchase would be gratefully received, the previous recommendation was actually cheaper  so it seems I don't have to break the bank to tube roll. All those numbers after the tubes though, make finding the ones recommended here a nightmare.

Hi stvn, I got the same dac and I am also in UK ☺ Besides, the dac amp ain't bad, but the LD MK III does or surely can anyway sound better.
The Voskhods get softer during the very long burn in process. I would recommend to change the power tubes first thing to a pair of 6N6P-IR. Those are the best bargain for the money of the directly pin compatible ones, from my listening experience. Some othets hete on the thread have them also. Then, the Yugoslavian 6HM5 are very nice, transparent and dynamic. The stage is not very wide though. This is the standard tube suggested for an upgrade. Gentler with a wider stage are the heptodes. The tubes requiring adapters can achieve more SQ but require a bit more investment.
Btw., which filter are you using? My favourite one is the Minimal Phase.

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #8,184 of 13,438
Hi stvn, I got the same dac and I am also in UK ☺ Besides, the dac amp ain't bad, but the LD MK III does or surely can anyway sound better.
The Voskhods get softer during the very long burn in process. I would recommend to change the power tubes first thing to a pair of 6N6P-IR. Those are the best bargain for the money of the directly pin compatible ones, from my listening experience. Some othets hete on the thread have them also. Then, the Yugoslavian 6HM5 are very nice, transparent and dynamic. The stage is not very wide though. This is the standard tube suggested for an upgrade. Gentler with a wider stage are the heptodes. The tubes requiring adapters can achieve more SQ but require a bit more investment.
Btw., which filter are you using? My favourite one is the Minimal Phase.

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/cd-dvd-blu-ray/62-cd-reviews/642-audiolab-q-dac-filters-.html?start=1

I did settle on Optimal Spectrum for the most part, after reading this article I experimented. I have used Minimum Phase as that is said to be the most analogue sounding one.  

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #8,185 of 13,438
for any one interested: i'm selling a pair of C3G to 6AK5 adapters from the chinese seller i have spare for 45EURO including shipping worldwide. I have to admit they are rather fragile so you must not plug and unplug that much to keep them in order.

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #8,186 of 13,438
Thx for the rep and inviting me to this thread, Mikelap! 
biggrin.gif
 I already had bookmarked this and browsed a bit through this thread a few times, but totally forgot about it.

Anyway; Hello people! 
o2smile.gif

Last september I bought an AKG K712 and Objective 2 + ODAC (actually E-DAC), but even though I was very impressed with the great level of detail and huge soundstage, I found this setup to be too bright sounding (although it does have a nice tight bass).

After having tried out the Philips Fidelio X1 on the Objective amp, I decided to take things a few steps up to get the sound I really wanted and I bought an Audeze LCD-X and a Little Dot MK III with French NOS RTC 5654 tubes; my very first tube amp! 
biggrin.gif
 (Still using the ODAC though.) This really is a huge improvement to my "old" set! Much warmer sounding, more "oomph!" in the bass, the treble is less painful to my ears (although it still can be slightly sibilant at some times), far more detail in the lows and mids, and everything just sounds so much more realistic now! Just a pinch more sub-bass would have been lovely though. However, the tubes of course still need to burn in further. Seeing that the sound was horribly sibilant at first, I am sure the current sibilance will recede even further and perhaps the sub-bass will improve as well. (I am not a basshead at all and don't want to boost the current bass all the way; only a slight bump in the very lowest region so the sound gets closer to that of my active speakers.)

I do miss the emphasis on some small details in the highs compared to my AKG with the Objective 2, and high female vocals sometimes lack their brightness, but am glad my ears don't hurt after an evening of listening to music anymore. This sound is far less fatiguing, and deep male vocals and most instruments in general also sound much more enjoyable now.
My "old" set did seem to sound more spacious, appearing to have a much bigger soundstage. After getting a bit used to the new sound I learned how to interpret the soundstage on my new set. It's less explicit than on my other set, but it's still there. It does take a bit more concentration to fully notice it though.

I am an absolute n00b with tubes and don't even know why trying out new tubes is called "rolling", and I hope I can get some new insights here. 
redface.gif

I was told that grooved Gold-Platinum grid 6J1P-EV tubes would be an excellent upgrade for my amp, but perhaps there are even better options?

My wishes may be a bit contradicting here and there. I'd like to improve the sub-bass and the soundstage, and smooth out the sibilance while also getting a bit more detail in the upper mids and treble. I'll check the first posts of this thread again to see if I can find something myself of which the description seems to be what I am looking for, but advices always are more than welcome! 
biggrin.gif
 Perhaps I should try out the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV?

Perhaps a different DAC also might help a bit?

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #8,187 of 13,438
  Thx for the rep and inviting me to this thread, Mikelap! 
biggrin.gif
 I already had bookmarked this and browsed a bit through this thread a few times, but totally forgot about it.

Anyway; Hello people! 
o2smile.gif

Last september I bought an AKG K712 and Objective 2 + ODAC (actually E-DAC), but even though I was very impressed with the great level of detail and huge soundstage, I found this setup to be too bright sounding (although it does have a nice tight bass).

After having tried out the Philips Fidelio X1 on the Objective amp, I decided to take things a few steps up to get the sound I really wanted and I bought an Audeze LCD-X and a Little Dot MK III with French NOS RTC 5654 tubes; my very first tube amp! 
biggrin.gif
 (Still using the ODAC though.) This really is a huge improvement to my "old" set! Much warmer sounding, more "oomph!" in the bass, the treble is less painful to my ears (although it still can be slightly sibilant at some times), far more detail in the lows and mids, and everything just sounds so much more realistic now! Just a pinch more sub-bass would have been lovely though. However, the tubes of course still need to burn in further. Seeing that the sound was horribly sibilant at first, I am sure the current sibilance will recede even further and perhaps the sub-bass will improve as well. (I am not a basshead at all and don't want to boost the current bass all the way; only a slight bump in the very lowest region so the sound gets closer to that of my active speakers.)

I do miss the emphasis on some small details in the highs compared to my AKG with the Objective 2, and high female vocals sometimes lack their brightness, but am glad my ears don't hurt after an evening of listening to music anymore. This sound is far less fatiguing, and deep male vocals and most instruments in general also sound much more enjoyable now.
My "old" set did seem to sound more spacious, appearing to have a much bigger soundstage. After getting a bit used to the new sound I learned how to interpret the soundstage on my new set. It's less explicit than on my other set, but it's still there. It does take a bit more concentration to fully notice it though.

I am an absolute n00b with tubes and don't even know why trying out new tubes is called "rolling", and I hope I can get some new insights here. 
redface.gif

I was told that grooved Gold-Platinum grid 6J1P-EV tubes would be an excellent upgrade for my amp, but perhaps there are even better options?

My wishes may be a bit contradicting here and there. I'd like to improve the sub-bass and the soundstage, and smooth out the sibilance while also getting a bit more detail in the upper mids and treble. I'll check the first posts of this thread again to see if I can find something myself of which the description seems to be what I am looking for, but advices always are more than welcome! 
biggrin.gif
 Perhaps I should try out the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV?

Perhaps a different DAC also might help a bit?

Hi ToTje.

Welcome.... If you're prepared to be patient and go back a fair way, you should find enough info to save you a lot of time - and MONEY! (please don't be too tempted by some of these so-called 'super' tubes that are direct plug and play replacements. The REAL, worthwhile improvements only came when we started modifying to use non stock-type tubes, like heptodes and triodes...you will find all the info you need - eventually! - by looking back, if you are interested in tackling some of these mods. (Even the earlier posts contain a lot of useful material on related subjects that will give you a bit more understanding of this fascinating area of hi-fi).

As far as direct replacements for the front driver tubes go, some good while ago we found pretty well the best option was the tall-bottle 6HM5, which was also one of the cheapest! I found one of the best sources to be ebayer 'tachonz', who always accepted my offer of $5 a tube (with FREE shipping!)...an absolute steal
biggrin.gif
. Gibosi posted a link (the 3rd one down) to his site on page 545.

Then, if you can study what has been achieved regarding the POWER/output tubes, you will make even greater leaps in what your modest LD can achieve - to a level WAY beyond its fighting weight, lol!

So take your time, digest things gradually and you may well be gobsmacked by the end results...WE certainly have been
wink_face.gif

Happy 'rolling', whatever you do...

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #8,188 of 13,438

Hi ToTje.

Welcome.... If you're prepared to be patient and go back a fair way, you should find enough info to save you a lot of time - and MONEY! (please don't be too tempted by some of these so-called 'super' tubes that are direct plug and play replacements. The REAL, worthwhile improvements only came when we started modifying to use non stock-type tubes, like heptodes and triodes...you will find all the info you need - eventually! - by looking back, if you are interested in tackling some of these mods. (Even the earlier posts contain a lot of useful material on related subjects that will give you a bit more understanding of this fascinating area of hi-fi).

As far as direct replacements for the front driver tubes go, some good while ago we found pretty well the best option was the tall-bottle 6HM5, which was also one of the cheapest! I found one of the best sources to be ebayer 'tachonz', who always accepted my offer of $5 a tube (with FREE shipping!)...an absolute steal
biggrin.gif
. Gibosi posted a link (the 3rd one down) to his site on page 545.

Then, if you can study what has been achieved regarding the POWER/output tubes, you will make even greater leaps in what your modest LD can achieve - to a level WAY beyond its fighting weight, lol!

So take your time, digest things gradually and you may well be gobsmacked by the end results...WE certainly have been
wink_face.gif

Happy 'rolling', whatever you do...

Thanks! 
biggrin.gif
 Yeah I'll browse a bit more thoroughly through this thread. I've only read about 10 pages or so, so far. I'll also look this tachonz up on eBay!

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #8,189 of 13,438
  Thanks! 
biggrin.gif
 Yeah I'll browse a bit more thoroughly through this thread. I've only read about 10 pages or so, so far. I'll also look this tachonz up on eBay!

Or this seller also   http://www.ebay.com/itm/6HM5-EC900-Lot-of-four-4-tubes-EI-Yugoslavia-NOS-free-shipping-/251611916081                                                                                                  ..............THESE ARE THE CORRECT ONES NOT THE SHORT BOTTLES ..........

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #8,190 of 13,438
  Or this seller also   http://www.ebay.com/itm/EC900-6HM5-Lot-of-four-4-tubes-EI-Yugoslavia-NOS-free-shipping-WW-/261599117610

Even better, thx! 
biggrin.gif

I'll try to find posts in this thread that explain the sound properties of these tubes and if the sound quality is very different than for instance the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV.
And power tubes also can make quite a difference?
Got a lot of catching up to do! 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back