Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
May 24, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #6,241 of 13,448
Here it is working......
atsmile.gif

May 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #6,244 of 13,448
This is not entirely to do with tube rolling but please do read on..

How do you guys carry your Little Dot amp when you are relocating/moving around?

Has anyone tried to look for aluminium hard cases with foam padding to carry these delicate little things safely?

I have been trying to find a hard case for my LD mk3, but hasnt found a suitable solution...

May 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #6,245 of 13,448
  How do you guys carry your Little Dot amp when you are relocating/moving around?

Has anyone tried to look for aluminium hard cases with foam padding to carry these delicate little things safely?

I have been trying to find a hard case for my LD mk3, but hasnt found a suitable solution...

I simply use the box the LD came in, the tubes get put in tube boxes and tossed in a plastic bag with the cables and away I go. :)

May 25, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #6,247 of 13,448
  Re the C3m 20v tube, don"t many little dots have a 20v capability for WE408s built in already?

Yes, the LD 1+ can roll 20v WE408A's, so heater-wise, it could easily handle a pair of C3m's. The major problem would be converting the C3m 8-pin loctal to 6AK5 7-pin miniature, as the pin-outs for the C3m and C3g are different. While an adapter for the C3g is available on eBay, a C3m adapter is not. That said, it is very likely that the eBay vendor happydiy998 might be willing to build a set of adapters for the C3m as well.

May 25, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #6,253 of 13,448
  Hi Gibosi,

Welcome to sub miniature land! I do not have the C3g tubes  but I was very impressed that you found your Sylvania 7963 comparable to the C3g.

Now, I do not have the 7963 either, and it's $20 price and up precludes me from getting it due to my self imposed $8 limit per tube. However, I do have the mighty Raytheon 6832. Instead of using my clumsy set up of two Vectors I realized that I can use the tube mounted in the 9 pin extender on my 6DJ8 breadboard. IMHO it is easier to use it in this way with solderless connections, utilizing insulated 18 gauge solid copper wire as push in pins. Based on our collective experience with jumpers on various tubes I do know that the connections made this way are solid and perhaps superior to soldered connections. Just think of all the tubes that are pushed into tube sockets! Here are pictures:

I gave up on using the 6832 tubes as power tubes although it was quite possible, but I was lacking the slam in the bass. Now I am running my trusty RCA 6SN7GTB top heater wire tubes as power tubes, and the Raytheon JAN 6832 as driver.

The sound is excellent with all the accolades you can heap upon it. I am going to paint the leads with nail polish to insulate them, but one grand daughter gave me a bottle of pearlized nail polish and I am afraid that there is metal in it which would defeat it's purpose. Holding out for a different nail polish from another kid.

It would be nice if somebody could compare the 6832 to the 7963. My guess is that they are going to sound similar. If that is true I will easily resist the itch to buy the C3g with all the adapters. (I did see a pair of Lorenz C3g on German Ebay that went for 2.5 Euros + shipping, but I think a lot of German sellers don't ship outside of Europe.)

Cheers,

Or you can use a heat shrink tubing or brush- on electrical tape but this kind of tape can get messy.

May 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #6,255 of 13,448
Hi I lovemusic2,

Glad you like the 6832 tubes. As with everything else, the sound depends on the associated equipment, and in my case I found the 6832s very good as power tubes, but ultimately lacking in the bass slam and impact.

I am happily using one as a driver, but I went back to my RCA 6SN7GTB tubes as power tubes. In the future I would like to try a pair of 6080 tubes as power tubes, but these require external power supplies since they draw 2.5A each. Once all the parts come in I am going to try and see how it sounds.

I know that there are people on the blog that tried various sub miniature tubes in the past. One such post came from Critical Bill, maybe in 2009, but right now I cannot find his post. Would appreciate it if somebody has information, as well as information on comparisons between different dual triode sub minis.

Somehow the sub miniature tubes do not have the visual appeal of the Coke Bottle tubes, but looks isn't everything!

CU6LHikzfy5SYSQC_K2oJc0VhoHCZ8sh1PfkZrOJoLOcf0VtAtfl7-hBP9EMGhlo7_BOZpHMEESiXa5AS6QwBcOecALoU-BhWuV2_rYEb2bKiYdpoa_b_C_weiU0eu7iJUu6Ns6L=s0-d-e1-ft

These are mighty minis, and really the pinnacle of vacuum tube technology. For those of you who like to travel with the LD amp, they are good for 80,000 feet altitude (commercial air planes fly under 40,000 feet). They can withstand a 500G impact, and 2,5G vibration, as well as nuclear radiation. The amplification factor is 40.

Which one is the best sub miniature tube for the LD MKIII?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back