Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Oct 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #3,691 of 13,434
You are most welcome MIKELAP!

I like your design!

I had to go vertical because of the tube rings, I could have taken them off but didn't want to. If you don't want to solder the pipe use one of the epoxy from my other post, they will bond anything.
beerchug.gif

I ust ordered the 7and 9 pin sockets the 7 pin socket fits nicely in the hole not tight but alot better then i expected as for the 9 pin socket its about 1/32 smaller then the 7/8 dia. tubing not bad also . Maybe will do 7 pin sockets like on picture glue
ing pin saver to socket so its hopefully sturdier.And today got my Westinhouse 6BQ7A tubes good thing i bought 20 i broke 2 of them after i cut the pins off i used my Dremel to remove the balance of the pins and i guess vibration broke them from now on its going to be the good old file. Very nice sounding 3d like  for $3.00 each will be even better when i dont have to butcher them anymore .

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #3,692 of 13,434
Well when there are no tubes to roll or sockets to play with one just mounts some opamps...
(2 LME49720-HA Duals Can version & 2 AD8610ARMZ Singles)

The pin in the center is a trial tube socket pin made from a big paperclip section. The end was bent over into a loop, a piece of wire soldered to it and shrink tube applied. The pin is a good gauge size, I will measure it tomorrow and it does not bend very easily.

beerchug.gif

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #3,693 of 13,434
Nice work on that plumbing people! Our new flagship amplifier, with modified driver tubes and as much random copper parts as possible: the Little Punk MK I !

Alright, so I know you've all just started working on 9 pin adapters, and that most of us have yet to even buy or test more than one or two double triodes, but I can help it, I already have a new idea that I'd like to try out. Hint, the idea has an octal base...

Yup, we should try and adapt a 6SL7 type tube in our amps (or 6SN7 but why not go with the higher gain tube?) !

There are many reports that 6SL7 tubes can work perfectly fine in 12AX7 based circuits (all the resistor values are close enough to bias the tubes at least adequately), and seeing how 12Ax7 tubes work flawlessly in our LDs (where the 6AK5-based circuitry is very close to what it should have been for 12Ax7 tubes), I see no reason why we shouldn't try it -even if it turns out to be just for kicks. And besides, those 6SL7 tubes look pretty hardcore, and would look great on a Little Punk MK II unit (MK I is already taken...).

Anyway, just food for thoughts, as usual, while I patiently have to wait for my Amperex tube to get over the Atlantic...

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #3,694 of 13,434
  Alright, so I know you've all just started working on 9 pin adapters, and that most of us have yet to even buy or test more than one or two double triodes, but I can help it, I already have a new idea that I'd like to try out. Hint, the idea has an octal base...

Yup, we should try and adapt a 6SL7 type tube in our amps (or 6SN7 but why not go with the higher gain tube?) !

There are many reports that 6SL7 tubes can work perfectly fine in 12AX7 based circuits (all the resistor values are close enough to bias the tubes at least adequately), and seeing how 12Ax7 tubes work flawlessly in our LDs (where the 6AK5-based circuitry is very close to what it should have been for 12Ax7 tubes), I see no reason why we shouldn't try it -even if it turns out to be just for kicks. And besides, those 6SL7 tubes look pretty hardcore, and would look great on a Little Punk MK II unit (MK I is already taken...).

Anyway, just food for thoughts, as usual, while I patiently have to wait for my Amperex tube to get over the Atlantic...

Can't keep this secret anymore. I ordered octal base and tube couple of days ago. 
wink.gif
 Here is one picture that shows size difference between 6SL7 and 12AT7 tubes. (photo from ebay)

Powertubes are going to grow bigger too with my next adapter and their sockets are not octals... Is this going to be the end of my lil dot mk2. 
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #3,695 of 13,434

And to those of you who are just now beginning to use 6DJ8 and 12AX7 tubes, do not despair! There are cheap 6SL7 to 12AX7 adapters, so it should be easy to use these tubes. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281031554093?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

$T2eC16d,!yUE9s6NFmq+BRjR!IqmNw~~60_57.JPG

Oct 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #3,696 of 13,434
I have a question i live in New Zealand where tubes are not to hard to find but op amps is a different story . I have found one but i am unsure if it will suit it is LMC6482AIN does anyone know if this 1 will work & will it be an improvement  on my sound.Thank You all Bundy

Oct 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #3,697 of 13,434
  I have a question i live in New Zealand where tubes are not to hard to find but op amps is a different story . I have found one but i am unsure if it will suit it is LMC6482AIN does anyone know if this 1 will work & will it be an improvement  on my sound.Thank You all Bundy

I have no experience with this op amp, so....

Looking at TI's page on this chip, I see nothing regarding its use in audio applications, so that is something to consider....

http://www.ti.com/product/lmc6482

You might want to post your question in the op amp thread as you will likely get a more informed answer there:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/432749/the-opamp-thread

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #3,698 of 13,434

Texas Instruments shipped me a pair of OPA2107 op amps - for free - and I'm in Christchurch.  All you need to do is register on their site and request a sample.

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #3,699 of 13,434
  Texas Instruments shipped me a pair of OPA2107 op amps - for free - and I'm in Christchurch.  All you need to do is register on their site and request a sample.

and i was just wondering what was the op amp of choice !

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #3,701 of 13,434

They ship from Houston so you'd likely have yours in a day or so. :)

i've never done an opamp swap, do you need the little puller thing, or what ??

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #3,702 of 13,434

i've never done an opamp swap, do you need the little puller thing, or what ??

I use a little screwdriver to get it started and then pull it out with my fingers. When putting another in, make sure the dot / and or notch on the chip and socket line up. It is not good to put them in backwards. :)

and i was just wondering what was the op amp of choice !

I like the LME49990 as it is very neutral. And I know of at least one person who prefers the OPA627AP, which is a little warmer.

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #3,703 of 13,434

I use a little screwdriver to get it started and then pull it out with my fingers. When putting another in, make sure the dot / and or notch on the chip and socket line up. It is not good to put them in backwards. :)

I like the LME49990 as it is very neutral. And I know of at least one person who prefers the OPA627AP, which is a little warmer.

Man, you can use my name and accuse me of liking the 627AP better lol! I like the little bit of added warmth, it gives a a touch more body to the sound.

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #3,704 of 13,434

Man, you can use my name and accuse me of liking the 627AP better lol! I like the little bit of added warmth, it gives a a touch more body to the soun

i suppose i could just get a couple to start with, and go until i find THE one !
thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back