Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide
Oct 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #3,676 of 13,438
  I am trying to find a way to use my 12AX7 tube, but so far I have failed miserably. I am not that handy, and working with the tiny parts on the Vector 7 pin adapter is very difficult for me - I even broke one adapter when I tightened up the solderless wirewrap leads with the screw in the middle. The little nut on the bottom rests in a well, and part of the bakelite broke off, so I cannot tighten the adapter any more.

I found a Chinese source for breadboards and socket adapters, and even for pins to make you own adapter using the Mullard socket protectors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pc-gold-plated-tube-pin-for-you-DIY-Tube-adapter-15-1mm-free-shipping-/200977094414?

This guy seems to be much cheaper than the other source for adapters mentioned previously on this site.

Maybe somebody on this forum could describe to this seller what we want and how to wire a one piece adapter for the Little Dot amps. If an inexpensive one piece adapter was available, I would not be left out from sampling the new sonic delights.....

You might want to contact this vendor and refer him to Artsi's tutorial:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/686893/how-to-make-an-adapter-to-use-double-triode-tubes-with-little-dot-mk-i-iv

And ask if they could make something like this.

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #3,677 of 13,438
  I noticed your headphone stand also very original. just curious you dont know if sockets will fit in right because whats the chance of them fitting perfectly unless you make bushings for them
what kind of glue would bond ceramic and copper. to bad dont have parts readily available to fiddle with and to bad dont have a lathe!

Thanks I have two headphone stands made from copper.

Then you need to pick up a Grizzly 7X12, like all Chinese machinery there is a little bit of slop in them, but you can use the lathe to make the parts to need to tighen up the specs. BusyBee has a similar one since they mostly all come from the same factory.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-x-12-Mini-Metal-Lathe/G8688 
or 
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/LATHE-METAL-MINI-7IN.-X12IN.-CRAFTEX-CX-CSA.html

Here is a nice site all about the mini lathes.
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Setup/setup.htm

The 9 pin socket might just fit easily depending on which one you get, some do have a Ø 22mm and the fitting has a Ø 0.875". If not a little flaring would be in order. 
biggrin.gif

JB Weld or PC-7 will bond just about anything to anything, JB Weld can be machined after it hardens as well as drilled and tapped. But if you pick up the JB Weld Kwik you have a 1 minute mix and a 5 minute work time, so have everything ready to be locked down.

I am going to cut out a disk of thick plexiglas to put the copper coax cable made pins (Nice find!) in for the 7 pin sockets and cement the disk to the bottom of the 1/2 pipe pieces. I have some fine carbide pcb drills to make holes in the plexiglass for the pins.

Now to get the socket and a few tubes.
beerchug.gif

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #3,679 of 13,438
  Thanks I have two headphone stands made from copper.

Then you need to pick up a Grizzly 7X12, like all Chinese machinery there is a little bit of slop in them, but you can use the lathe to make the parts to need to tighen up the specs. BusyBee has a similar one since they mostly all come from the same factory.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-x-12-Mini-Metal-Lathe/G8688 
or 
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/LATHE-METAL-MINI-7IN.-X12IN.-CRAFTEX-CX-CSA.html

Here is a nice site all about the mini lathes.
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Setup/setup.htm

The 9 pin socket might just fit easily depending on which one you get, some do have a Ø 22mm and the fitting has a Ø 0.875". If not a little flaring would be in order. 
biggrin.gif

JB Weld or PC-7 will bond just about anything to anything, JB Weld can be machined after it hardens as well as drilled and tapped. But if you pick up the JB Weld Kwik you have a 1 minute mix and a 5 minute work time, so have everything ready to be locked down.

I am going to cut out a disk of thick plexiglas to put the copper coax cable made pins (Nice find!) in for the 7 pin sockets and cement the disk to the bottom of the 1/2 pipe pieces. I have some fine carbide pcb drills to make holes in the plexiglass for the pins.

Now to get the socket and a few tubes.
beerchug.gif

Man showing me a mini lathe your getting me all wound up here a lot of $$$$$ i would need to do lots of jobs to pay that off .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      It seems theres a +or - .009 thousands tolerance it could possibly fit right off the bat .Will you take a pin saver to mark holes for drilling  and do you have a drill press i guess youll use use top speed so it drills straight maybe tapping fluid or oil so shaving dont bugger up the drill and jams in the hole its damm small .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Well im off to my friendly neighborhood plumbing supply store got some fiddlin to do.ill bring a 7 pin socket mine the smaller dia is 5/8 inch and a 7 pin saver i have   is 5/8 also .                                                                                               

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #3,680 of 13,438
  Man showing me a mini lathe your getting me all wound up here a lot of $$$$$ i would need to do lots of jobs to pay that off .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      It seems theres a +or - .009 thousands tolerance it could possibly fit right off the bat .Will you take a pin saver to mark holes for drilling  and do you have a drill press i guess youll use use top speed so it drills straight maybe tapping fluid or oil so shaving dont bugger up the drill and jams in the hole its damm small .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Well im off to my friendly neighborhood plumbing supply store got some fiddlin to do.ill bring a 7 pin socket mine the smaller dia is 5/8 inch and a 7 pin saver i have   is 5/8 also .                                                                                               

We just had a customer in who builds the model trains that you can ride on, something like this one here.

He has an Atlas and a Southbend at home which he uses, he also recommends one with at least a 3' bed as they are made a little better and there is always something you will want to make that wont fit on the 12" version.

I bet once people know you have a lathe in the area it will be a non stop "Make me this & Make me that"... It will pay for itself very quickly, all you have to do is convince the wife! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #3,683 of 13,438
  I bet once people know you have a lathe in the area it will be a non stop "Make me this & Make me that"... It will pay for itself very quickly, all you have to do is convince the wife! 
biggrin.gif

Perhaps we are witnessing the beginning of a new company?  

T & M Enterprises -- Custom Steampunk Tube Adapters for the Little Dot      lol :)

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #3,684 of 13,438

Perhaps we are witnessing the beginning of a new company?  

T & M Enterprises -- Custom Steampunk Tube Adapters for the Little Dot      lol :)

Yes indeed, we will have to see what MIKELAP returns with from the plumbing store. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #3,685 of 13,438
Put me down for one as well. Can it be painted in these colors?

Just kidding about the paint, but I wanted to show this beautiful picture taken this week.  I really do want such an adapter.

Oct 25, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #3,686 of 13,438
  Put me down for one as well. Can it be painted in these colors?

Just kidding about the paint, but I wanted to show this beautiful picture taken this week.  I really do want such an adapter.

When I get mine all assembled and working I'll let everyone know for sure!
Now if you wanted Realtree or Mossy Oak...

You really would not want to cover the beautiful luster of a nicely polished and lacquered piece of copper. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #3,687 of 13,438
well, after a brief absence , full of sellers regret having sold my little dot I+, i bought another, new, just had it 3 days,
i'm not going to let this one go
i splurged and spent some money, on some telefunken eh900s, gold pins, matched pair, AWESOME sound

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #3,688 of 13,438
  Yes indeed, we will have to see what MIKELAP returns with from the plumbing store. 
biggrin.gif

Well im back and busy i have a bit of a different take on it than Troll Dragon but basically it is his same great original design there is 3 copper pipes the one that holds the 9pin is not modified and goes in the other part. I dont have a socket yet so i could be screwed from the start but socket will be definitely smaller than .Hole in pipe is 7/8¨ but like they say if theres a will theres a way.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            The changes are for the center part where the right side elboy goes ii had  to remove about 3/8 inches on the lenght so elboy goes in far enough inside the tube to line up with littledot socket but  i had to grind the inside of the hole so elboy can go inside  more to get the wright center distance so that you can plug the 2 sockets in but you have to grind or make shure elboy is loose so that you can move it inside and out to be able to plug it in the Littledot so like that you dont have to get center perfect which would be very hard with basic tools.And by the way once elboy is in it does not block the other hole for the left channel.because got to think of wires .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           So thats for the chassis now i have to see what sockets i am going to use because i have a 7pin female socket that fits perfectly in the hole maybe i could use a socket saver put pins thru that and into socket and glue the socket saver to other socket but i guess i need teflon instead of ceramic dont know if it would hold . So thats it for now have to figure out the sockets.i need .Heres a few pictures .And thank you Troll Dragon for the design.

Oct 25, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #3,689 of 13,438
You are most welcome MIKELAP!

I like your design!

I had to go vertical because of the tube rings, I could have taken them off but didn't want to. If you don't want to solder the pipe use one of the epoxy from my other post, they will bond anything.
:beerchug:

Oct 25, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #3,690 of 13,438
  Yesterday, I received a Tung-Sol 5751, dated 1960. Again, this is a premium version of the 12AX7.

However, it will be a while before I roll this tube, as I have just replaced my no-name Chinese DAC with the Audio-gd Fun. With two major changes, this DAC and the US Amperex 6922 / E88CC, I need some time to recalibrate my ears......

A quick update... I decided to roll them in for a few minutes to be sure that I understood how to change the connections from 6DJ8 to 12AX7. And I also wanted to leave feedback for the eBay seller, and felt I should make sure they were working first.

So I listened to only a few songs. However, I can say that these are excellent tubes. There's nothing not to like. So if you can find one of these at a good price, I recommend you grab it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back